MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby sklevorn » December 27th, 2010, 11:58 am

Thx Dave!
sklevorn

Postby cyclodan » December 27th, 2010, 7:37 pm

Rode the whole trail today and everything was rideable on a regular ol' mountain bike. In fact it was some of the finest snow riding in a number of years. If you get the chance you should get out and do it before Thursday. Rain is coming :evil: ...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 3.7848&e=0

Oh well, two and a half weeks of good snowbiking ain't bad. Time to go dig out the studded tires.
"I'm not a comlete idiot, some parts are missing"-cyclodan
"I would rather poke sticks in my eyes than race cyclo cross"-chrismaltby
cyclodan

Postby barry007 » December 30th, 2010, 4:25 pm

my buddy and i rode blue and yellow today on Trails-Edge's rental Pugsleys. Man are those things wicked cool.

it was an absolute blast - thanks to DNR Dave for keeping the trail passable. you could definitely see his handiwork throughout the trail with fresh cut sawdust.
"You can't be defeated if you're still Fighting"
barry007

Postby ibisman » December 30th, 2010, 9:27 pm

just because I've heard it for the last 15 years...thanks for rutting up the trail boys, now it will freeze Sunday and it will just wonderful! Thanks Trails-edge for your community service.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby utabintarbo » December 30th, 2010, 9:29 pm

ibisman wrote:just because I've heard it for the last 15 years...thanks for rutting up the trail boys, now it will freeze Sunday and it will just wonderful! Thanks Trails-edge for your community service.

Unfamiliar with Pugsleys, eh? :roll:
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby Steve_Balogh » December 31st, 2010, 10:08 am

Posting your ride results on a thaw day can sometimes be a bad thing, if you don't indicate the trail conditions. Fat tires can do some damage in deep sloppy mud, but I doubt yesterday a Pugs would have done much damage. I was at Olson's yesterday and conditions were firm until about 2:30 when I started seeing some slush. It's easy to make a quick exit on that trail, but wasn't necessary as I made my last lap on the firmest area.

In soft conditions a 2.3-2.5 MTB tire can look like a Fatbike track. Even more so if they are using 45-50MM wide SnowCat/trials rims. Now that more Fatbikes are out there, be ready for the bogus claims we're out there riding in every condition. There's a certain group of rider's that frequent ILRA every year and they constently ride when they should not. Some of their tracks are as wide as a Larry or Endo.

Seeing the time Barry007 made his post tells me he had to have been off the trail at the right time in order to return the bikes and get home, but Dave makes a really great point - if you rent a bike from any shop, make sure you indicate the conditions you post about if you give the shop a plug, especially on a day when conditions start thawing. You could make the shop look bad. Keep in mind what I said about the 2.3-2.5" tires, if some knucklehead rode afterwards and made some nice fat ruts in the trail, guess who gets blamed? Not everyone is familar with a Larry or Endo tread pattern, they just see wide tracks and make an assumption.
Steve_Balogh

Postby barry007 » December 31st, 2010, 4:52 pm

we were on the trail mid morning when it was still very much snow covered. we would not ride trails that were in thaw/slushy ie days like today.

on a side note, trails-edge made me sign a waiver that they're not responsible for yahoo's like me tearing up trails.
"You can't be defeated if you're still Fighting"
barry007

Postby b_b » January 1st, 2011, 12:26 pm

I doubt you caused any problems with the Pugsley's wide tires and I'm sure there was still snow cover.

I''m no "trail Nazi" and usually don't care what people do, but some are a little sensitive because we've had yahoos (who most likely come out only on warm days) create continuous massive 4" deep ruts in mud and slush which then freezes, so the trail is trashed until the spring thaw when it can get smoothed out.

I'm guessing they ought to be good to go tomorrow morning if temps drop back down to the low 20's tonight as predicted. Should be faster too. Might really need the Nokian's now though.
b_b

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 1st, 2011, 1:38 pm

Last spring Bill and Marne were out at the trail head advising people not to ride on a thaw day. Maybe we'll see this spring if that had any impact. As I said, there's a lot of the same people I've seen out there, always coming back muddy from a ride. I'm no "trail Nazi" either, my best "sales pitch" is to tell someone politely what it can cost them to replace a drivetrain from doing so. Most that I've actually talked with already know it's not good for the trail.

Fatbikes can also repair a trail. I've done it dozens of times at mostly ILRA and Olson where the "pizza cutter's" are most frequent. I prefer the Fatbike on the first good day anyone can ride. I often find soft rutted spots I can mash over with the big tires - however, I always make sure I've got enough soil in the rut to reduce a depression. Sometimes I'll get off the bike and use my feet to push some of the dislpaced soil back in then ride over it (those 4" deep ones especially). Works pretty well, if I do it late enough in the day few people will run over it, and by morning it dries hard.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ibisman » January 1st, 2011, 2:24 pm

But Steve...its soooo much fun out in the mud!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby Steve_Balogh » January 1st, 2011, 3:43 pm

ibisman wrote:But Steve...its soooo much fun out in the mud!

True! >>>>>>>>>> http://www.kgw.com/video/featured-video ... 79478.html
Steve_Balogh

Postby ihateplaindave » January 3rd, 2011, 8:31 am

3 of us early Sunday AM. Trail was great, but w/ some icy spots, especially on Yellow. No trees down. We saw at least 5 other MTBs whern leaving the parking lot at 9:30. Lot's and lot's of cars. Couldn't tell how many were biking but lot was prolly 1/4 full.
ihateplaindave

Postby froggyrider » January 8th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Blue was in great shape today- just the right amount of snow to create some natural berms, too!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Re: Metro South: Island Lake 1/10/11

Postby ibisman » January 11th, 2011, 1:13 pm

ILRA was great this morning, a 2 foot wide hard packed path almost the whole distance around. very little ice, and no trees down. nice. :lol:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby Sherpaboy » January 12th, 2011, 10:18 am

Let me clear up some misinformation form ibisman...He is just upset because every year we all (the entire forum and MMBA contingent) to stay off the trails during spring thaw. The funny thing is I have a very old e-mail from him back before he posted on this forum and he was ranting about the MMBA postings signs at the trail head, and posting online that the MMBA and DNR recommend staying off all trails during the spring thaw...So now he is trying to turn it around on me (Trial's Edge), he has been waiting for years for this opportunity...Well sorry Dave (Ibisman) but your rantings are still misplaced and wrong.

For the record, we NEVER rent bikes during the spring thaw, nor if it has just rained, or is going to rain when the customer wants to rent the bike. We've turned dozens of rental customers away because of this. I had a few guys get *beep* last year at this fact, but then I told them why and they just left in a huff. Sorry but if the weather is crappy that I wouldn't take my personal bike out, why the F*%& would I let you take our rental out ?

With regards to barry007 renting the pugsley and riding them we had a discussion before he let the shop and we've known him for along enough time that we were confident he would not ride during the thaw...as noted by the time he posted, and the following postings by him.
Mike AKA Sherpaboy
Sherpaboy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions