MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby Apps » October 7th, 2010, 8:00 am

I know the plans include a minor re-route on Blue (requested by the park) and there is plenty of opportunity to lop face slappers or maybe repair a mud hole or two....Other Dave and FSR1 (mark) are the TC's and I'm sure they'll have enough to keep us all busy :)
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Dave L » October 8th, 2010, 10:13 am

Going to try and make the trail day.

What part of the blue is going to be re-reouted? Would be nice to see some hills mixed in. IL is a flat trail considering how hilly that park is.
Dave L

Postby TenSpeed » October 8th, 2010, 4:21 pm

Rode today with my wife. Trail is really nice. Got passed by a few people, so that was humbling. Beautiful day, and the trail really is in good condition, as mentioned above.
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3984/6000
TenSpeed

Metro South: Island Lake

Postby Bento » October 10th, 2010, 5:49 pm

Got a few loops today. The reroute is at the road crossing before the railroad trestle. You now enter the road farther up the road, so you have more pavement to ride. The new road entry is at a right angle instead of 30 degrees for the old road entry. The new road entry is after a small climb instead of a gravel "down hill".
Hopefully, this will be a safer crossing area for all. Oh, someone had a small fire on the yellow trail. Hope this doesn't lead to an uncontrolled burn.
Bento

Postby otherdave » October 11th, 2010, 12:40 pm

A big thanks to everyone who made it out to help on the trail day. We had a team do some trimming in the tunnel-of-trees leading up to the blue/yellow split, another team do some mud hole repair on either side of Spring Mill Pond, and a third team put in the minor re-route as mentioned.

The re-route was requested by the park to improve safety on the first road crossing in blue just before going under the train trestle. The existing trail was more of a "merge" instead of a crossing and it was becoming a safety issue.

The new route takes riders up a small rise and then comes to the road at about a 90 degree "T". There is a reasonable sight line (probably the best we could do considering) and scrubs off a lot of speed before reaching the road. Hopefully this will help riders naturally look before entering traffic.

We're considering this a temporary fix for 2011 and continuing our discussion with the park about what we can do for a permanent fix to that crossing in late 2011 or early 2012. We have a few ideas, but that intersection is pretty challenging with the rail road line and limited sight lines for all.

Thanks again for the help! We had great volunteers on all three of these projects and great support from the DNRE bringing loads of dirt, stone, and rocks to the work site all day.
otherdave

Postby parttime » October 13th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Thanks for all the work on the trail, the trail is in great shape. I had a great ride this afternoon on the blue/yellow loop, just before the rain! :icon_thumleft:
parttime

Postby Cook » October 15th, 2010, 8:13 pm

Hey, about 6:45 Friday evening I finished a loop and as I rolled through the lot I noticed an old school full rigid aluminum bike laying in the middle of the parking lot as if it fell off the back of a vehicle. I hung it on the kiosk. Could this have been C-Dan's? Hope it is reunited with it's owner. Oh...sweet riveted brooks saddle, salsa bits and a bull head badge.

Jim
Cook

Postby G.Cook » October 15th, 2010, 8:20 pm

Sure sounds like something he would ride .
G.Cook

Postby DNR Island Lake » October 15th, 2010, 10:21 pm

I got the bike and he picked it up tonight at the park office. I didn't get his name.

DNRE Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby cyclodan » October 16th, 2010, 8:06 am

Yes that was me :oops: :lol: :roll:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=100694

I just noticed something curious tho'. Lost and found doesn't show up on the veiw new posts or active cycling posts. Whats up wit dat?
"I'm not a comlete idiot, some parts are missing"-cyclodan
"I would rather poke sticks in my eyes than race cyclo cross"-chrismaltby
cyclodan

Postby onlycrimson » October 17th, 2010, 5:39 pm

The trail was in great shape tonight!
onlycrimson

Postby Friend Or Foe » October 25th, 2010, 5:21 am

did a couple of laps at ILRA on Sunday - track is in great shape. while i am not a big fan of the new re-route i definitely see the value. it was always a cat-&-mouse game entering the park road at speed.

beware of the pedestrian trail nazi. for 2 of the past 3 weekends i've come across a guy - late 40's to early 50's, bald, with a big pitbull. he walks against bike traffic (which i prefer) but when he sees you coming he purposely moves to the center of the trail or even further to block the oncoming bike traffic. yesterday he saw me coming from from a good 20 yds away. i could see him & the dog move their left. this was a section of yellow where there was plenty of flat, clear shoulder on both sides - which worked out for me since i was forced off the trail to avoid t-boning the dog. same thing happened a couple weeks back. what a d-bag! :evil:
Friend Or Foe

Postby adroit rider » October 25th, 2010, 7:43 am

Friend Or Foe wrote:did a couple of laps at ILRA on Sunday - track is in great shape. while i am not a big fan of the new re-route i definitely see the value. it was always a cat-&-mouse game entering the park road at speed.

beware of the pedestrian trail nazi. for 2 of the past 3 weekends i've come across a guy - late 40's to early 50's, bald, with a big pitbull. he walks against bike traffic (which i prefer) but when he sees you coming he purposely moves to the center of the trail or even further to block the oncoming bike traffic. yesterday he saw me coming from from a good 20 yds away. i could see him & the dog move their left. this was a section of yellow where there was plenty of flat, clear shoulder on both sides - which worked out for me since i was forced off the trail to avoid t-boning the dog. same thing happened a couple weeks back. what a d-bag! :evil:

You know it is the right of the hiker/runner to maintain their line while you adjust yours. Think of yourself a power boat and the hiker a small sailboat out on lake Michigan.

Maybe the "pedestrian trial nazi" wouldn't be such a stickler for his trail rights if we didn't act like it was our given right to dominate and abuse the rules of the trail. Next time I suggest you slow down to his speed, make eye contact, say "hello" and "what a great day to be outside". If half of us acted this way when encountering the "pedestrian trail nazi" I bet he would yield.
adroit rider

Postby Friend Or Foe » October 25th, 2010, 7:58 am

adroit rider wrote:
Friend Or Foe wrote:did a couple of laps at ILRA on Sunday - track is in great shape. while i am not a big fan of the new re-route i definitely see the value. it was always a cat-&-mouse game entering the park road at speed.

You know it is the right of the hiker/runner to maintain their line while you adjust yours. Think of yourself a power boat and the hiker a small sailboat out on lake Michigan.

Maybe the "pedestrian trial nazi" wouldn't be such a stickler for his trail rights if we didn't act like it was our given right to dominate and abuse the rules of the trail. Next time I suggest you slow down to his speed, make eye contact, say "hello" and "what a great day to be outside". If half of us acted this way when encountering the "pedestrian trail nazi" I bet he would yield.

i guess i left a couple of details out of my post...
1. i always slow down, &,
2. i always make eye contact & say "hi" or "thanks"

apparently you missed the fact that i said from 20 yds away i could see him sliding to his left to block the trail. it's not as if he was reacting to anything i did. he had already planned his manuever before i even got to him. now maybe that's from multiple bad experiences he's had on the trail - i don't know. what i do know is that on a beautiful sunday morning, 2 weeks before iceman when there was a lot of bike traffic, this guy went out of his way to be a *beep* instead of simply staying to his right on a section of trail where he had plenty of room to do so.
Friend Or Foe

Postby dcat1 » October 27th, 2010, 6:44 pm

considering all the wind in the last day, the trail was in very good shape tonight overall-3 trees down total; 1st on blue only a few hundred yards in from the trailhead start. 2nd on blue a little past 5 miles-maybe .5 mile in after you reenter the trail after crossing the river on the paved road. 3rd is on the yellow at about .5 mile in along the river on the two track before the bridge. All 3 will need chainsaws I think...
dcat1

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions