MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby lawn dart » November 4th, 2013, 6:48 pm

daffunda wrote:...Too many azzhats trying to boost their egos on Strava and causing mayhem to hikers and other users I guess.

That's the frustrating part about ILRA. It's so easy -- and so fun -- to go fast on it.

Plus, it lacks lung-busting climbs, it doesn't have any tricky technical features, and it has a severe shortage of challenging curves, bends, and/or switchbacks; all things that tend to slow down the pace, yet keep things entertaining. So the only way to make the trail challenging is to boost you average speed. *shrug*

How can something that feels so good be so wrong?! :mrgreen:
lawn dart

Postby Critter7r » November 4th, 2013, 9:27 pm

it's only wrong if you get caught.

Wait .. did I say that out loud? ;) :D

I'll 2nd the post above. Going faster on a trail is what makes it more challenging. But for some trails, going faster means averaging 8.5mph instead of 8 (like Highland). At Island, it seems that some people feel that unless you are averaging anything less than about 15mph and you might as well just be out JRA in the neighborhood. :D :roll:
Last edited by Critter7r on November 5th, 2013, 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby fsr1 » November 4th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Critter7r wrote:At Island, averaging anything less than about 15mph and you might as well just be out JRA in the neighborhood.

I don't time myself but doubt I come anywhere close to averaging 15mph. Should I not bother coming out anymore?

Because it's your right to speak your mind doesn't necessarily mean you should.

ILRA is where many s beginner starts mountain biking. They should be encouraged and not read here that they may as well stay in the neighborhood.

MD
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby ibisman » November 5th, 2013, 3:40 am

It's all good now. They will all stay indoors on their little trainers hooked up to their power taps watching videos of trails until next spring when they start complaining about the cookie cutters we created all winter.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,819.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1396.5--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

Postby lawn dart » November 5th, 2013, 7:13 am

Critter7r and fsr1, IMHO you're both right.

The layout of ILRA is quite beginner-friendly, and I really enjoy seeing newbies & young families learning the ropes out there.

Generally, riders try to go as fast as their skills and the trail allows. ILRA simlpy allows higher speeds.
Plus, because it is so smooth, open and flat-ish, people that are good at a faster tuck-&-spin style of riding naturally gravitate there.

Like any sort of speed activity, it's incumbent upon the faster riders to be extra alert, and to slow down and accommodate slower traffic.
What else to do? Install speed traps? Issue day-glo vests to slower/new riders & walkers? Post signs with "Circle/Slash" over a Strava logo?
*shrug*
lawn dart

Postby Loren » November 5th, 2013, 8:00 am

This Saturday, a race event to benefit Beacons of Hope is being held on the trails at Island Lake Recreation Area. It's a good cause - go register!

http://www.active.com/brighton-mi/cycli ... &cmp=23-13

(If you're not up to the race, please consider volunteering. See the http://ridgerocker.com/ website for details.)
Loren

Postby ihateplaindave » November 5th, 2013, 8:57 am

(If you're not up to the race, please consider volunteering. See the http://ridgerocker.com/ website for details.)

You can also donate $$$ even if you can't race it. That's prolly my plan this year.
ihateplaindave

Postby vette-ss » November 5th, 2013, 9:11 am

fsr1 wrote:
Critter7r wrote:At Island, averaging anything less than about 15mph and you might as well just be out JRA in the neighborhood.

I don't time myself but doubt I come anywhere close to averaging 15mph. Should I not bother coming out anymore?

Because it's your right to speak your mind doesn't necessarily mean you should.

ILRA is where many s beginner starts mountain biking. They should be encouraged and not read here that they may as well stay in the neighborhood.

MD

+1
vette-ss

Postby Critter7r » November 5th, 2013, 9:32 am

Sorry for all the butthurt guys ... I didn't realize that my comment wouldn't be taken as the tongue-in-cheek, silly, rolling-the-eyes-a-little-bit comment that it sounded in my head as I typed it.

I edited my original comment for clarification. And to add smilies. So there'd be no confusion.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby fsr1 » November 5th, 2013, 10:11 am

Missed sarcasm is such a waste...... :wink:
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby Dirtdevil » November 6th, 2013, 8:44 am

As of last night, tree still down on yellow, towards the end after the last climb, but before the last path crossing. Dismount required. Someone put a white grocery bag on it as a warning (for us night riders) so be alert!

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby fsr1 » November 6th, 2013, 9:10 am

Dirtdevil wrote:As of last night, tree still down on yellow, towards the end after the last climb, but before the last path crossing. Dismount required. Someone put a white grocery bag on it as a warning (for us night riders) so be alert!

Is that the only concern you saw out there Sherri? I have race prep work to do.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby Dirtdevil » November 6th, 2013, 3:58 pm

fsr1 wrote:
Dirtdevil wrote:As of last night, tree still down on yellow, towards the end after the last climb, but before the last path crossing. Dismount required. Someone put a white grocery bag on it as a warning (for us night riders) so be alert!

Is that the only concern you saw out there Sherri? I have race prep work to do.

The only major issue, yes. There were a few low branches, but nothing dangerous.
Dirtdevil

Postby mikewoods » November 6th, 2013, 10:48 pm

Trail is in great shape other than the few usual muddy spots. That downed tree at the end of yellow is begging to be made into a log pile...
mikewoods

Postby ibisman » November 7th, 2013, 6:12 am

Ha, ha, don't do t dude..the "riders against obstacles at ILRA" group will form again. :)
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,819.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1396.5--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels (well now fat bike tires too..but they are still 26")
ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments