MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby froggyrider » September 17th, 2010, 6:06 am

FYI- future trail day:

From Dave T., the TC: "Come one, come all! We're going to have a fall trail day at Island Lake on October 9th. We got rained out of our spring trail day and the trail has been in great shape all year thanks to DNR Dave and countless other volunteers who've given a little or a lot to a trail we all ride.

We have one big-ish project to handle on the 9th and we will be sending crews out to do some fall trimming in advance of next spring.

If you have anything that you'd like to get done please post up ideas so we can prioritize.

As the day approaches I will post time and location for meeting. Ballpark is around 9 or 10 at the trailhead, but I will post more later.

Thanks!!!"
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Hermannator » September 17th, 2010, 7:55 pm

Tree over yellow trail right at the beginning. Just before it crosses the bike path. Will probably need a saw. - TH
Hermannator

Postby MikeBl » September 19th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Still there at noon, tried to pull it away but was not successfull. Chainsaw will easily take it. Very close to access points.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby DNR Island Lake » September 20th, 2010, 8:28 am

Pine tree is clear on yellow just before the paved trail.

Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby DNR Island Lake » September 20th, 2010, 8:45 am

Fight_On,

I sent you a PM and an Email. Just wanted to make sure you got them.

DNRE Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby CWPspeed3 » October 4th, 2010, 10:03 am

its that time of year, saw a bow hunter and someone with a shotgun in the area before the blue/yellow split.
2010 Stumpjumper FSR
CWPspeed3

Postby TenSpeed » October 4th, 2010, 7:15 pm

How close do the hunters get to the trails? Do I need to be worried about riding and possibly getting shot at?
2014 miles/goal: 3120/2500
2015 miles/goal: 5019/5000
2016 miles/goal: 3940/6000
TenSpeed

Postby MikeBl » October 4th, 2010, 7:21 pm

I have seen "hunters" walking the trails and in the woods for years at most of the parks during [color=#0000FF]their [/color]season. As far as getting shot at, I would not be too concerned. As far as being shot, well accidents can happen however I do not know of nor have heard of anybody being hit. Best to wear something bright. For what it's worth, don't ride at dusk or dawn on Nov 15th.
Ventana El Toro/Burton Custom X - Two of my three favoriite rides
MikeBl

Postby CWPspeed3 » October 5th, 2010, 8:38 am

heavy fluid wrote:How close do the hunters get to the trails? Do I need to be worried about riding and possibly getting shot at?

the ones i saw were walking the trails or just off the main path. they were aware i was coming and i didnt yell my presence as to not scare anything they may be watching.
2010 Stumpjumper FSR
CWPspeed3

Postby Dave L » October 6th, 2010, 7:37 am

Rode Island lake for the first time in a about 6 weeks. Trail was in perfect shape although it appears someone removed the small log pile at the Blue loop. That was turning into a nice little jump. Can't imagine why that would be moved considering there was a path to the right to go around it.
Dave L

Postby CWPspeed3 » October 6th, 2010, 8:28 am

Dave L wrote:Rode Island lake for the first time in a about 6 weeks. Trail was in perfect shape although it appears someone removed the small log pile at the Blue loop. That was turning into a nice little jump. Can't imagine why that would be moved considering there was a path to the right to go around it.

i really liked that log pile, it was broken down a couple weeks ago then finally removed, it was a nice little ramp. i dont know why it was removed either
2010 Stumpjumper FSR
CWPspeed3

Postby Apps » October 6th, 2010, 8:55 am

We've been experiencing some bandit trailwork on the Metrosouth chapter trails lately. Novi, Hickory Glen (Commerce) and ILRA have all been hit. It started as simply cutting out roots and it's slowly growing to removing features (logs at Novi and now the log pile at ILRA).

We encourage people to help with trimming back face slappers and even dragging downfall off the trail if they can but removnig trail features and roots aren't really part of that. Leave that work for the Trail Coordinator (or DNRDave at ILRA)!
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby Sparty » October 6th, 2010, 10:58 am

what is planned for the trail day at ILRA this weekend?
Sparty

Postby DNR Island Lake » October 6th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Yeah it is hunting season. The park is open to hunting except the posted safety zones around buildings. I've never heard of any accidents involving hunters and riders. Like they said wear bright colors and try not to ride around dawn or dusk when most hunting is going on. Check out the MMBA site for trails that are not open to hunting such as Mayberry State Park.

Other Dave has the plans for trailday this Saturday the 9th.

DNRE Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby Jeffreykdc » October 6th, 2010, 3:00 pm

The trail is just about perfect and so is the weather. Get out there and lay down some fast laps.
If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?
Jeffreykdc

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions