MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby fizgig » July 10th, 2010, 10:59 pm

I think it's in the area I circled, no idea how to fix it but it's a sharp turn with a huge puddle in the middle, maybe bank the outside of the turn so the water drains down?:

aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby Roy » July 11th, 2010, 5:08 am

Ranger Dave:
The turn circled above was a mud hole from day 1. A more sweeping curve would help reduce erosion caused by hard braking. If you want to save the curve, then fill and bank it.
I have never liked that turn. What do all the other riders think?
My suggestion is reroute and reforest.

Roy
Roy

Postby Friend Or Foe » July 11th, 2010, 7:23 am

yep. that turn is perpetually wet. not sure what the fix is but would welcome anything that helps keep it dry.
Friend Or Foe

Postby Steve_Balogh » July 11th, 2010, 9:27 am

Roy wrote:Ranger Dave:
The turn circled above was a mud hole from day 1. A more sweeping curve would help reduce erosion caused by hard braking. If you want to save the curve, then fill and bank it.
I have never liked that turn. What do all the other riders think?
My suggestion is reroute and reforest.

Roy

Anyplace else I would say a reroute is overkill, there's a number of ways to make that hole drain - however, I don't believe the hard braking is the result of anyone on this board, typically kids going back and forth from the parkinglot who often do jumps off that mound/berm at the edge of the trail entrance to the parkinglot. Over the years I've noticed that's a "cool" section kids love to slam their brakes on going through the turn. I'm thinking any drainage work done to save it will be in vain from all the intentional "breakers" cruising through there. Just my opinion. A nice log hop would solve the issue, but I don't think the snowmobilers would appreciate that. Perhaps a level pile of some good size rocks might work as an alternative to a reroute, but use rocks big enough that kids will not want to slam through.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Apps » July 12th, 2010, 9:51 am

I think you'll have to watch the use of stone there as it's right on the corner. The stone works over by the grand river rd climb on yellow since it's on a straight...with the cornering forces it may slide out....There are a couple Trail Coordinators that come out to the Friday Night Social ride...we'd be happy to help look at the options with you....
04 Ventana Pantera (FS)
06 Redline Flight Monocog (SS)
07 LeMond Poprad Disc (Cross)
08 Vassago Bandersnatch (29er)

http://www.teamtreefarm.com Image
Apps

Postby DNR Island Lake » July 12th, 2010, 9:57 am

That would be great. Gave you a pm. Get a hold of me.

Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby pharus » July 17th, 2010, 10:08 pm

The trails were in good shape today, a few mud puddles that could be avoided, but one near the end of the yellow loop had a deep dip in it, followed by a sharp left, and threw my buddy off the bike. It made me give my front tread a close inspection, but I managed to get back on the seat. I noticed that some muddy areas had some rock added to them, this would be a candidate for that.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby DNR Island Lake » July 18th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Is this mud puddle before you reach the paved trail on yellow? OR is it between the paved trail and the trailhead parking lot?

Ranger Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby DNR Island Lake » July 19th, 2010, 6:53 am

Did we figure out what we want to do with the mud hole at the beginning of blue? We could straighten it out easily enough. I don't know it you guys would want just a straight shot through there though.
If you want it banked I would appreciate some help since most of you have more trail building skills than myself.

I typically do trail work Monday or Tuesday so let me know whats up and I can try to work on it.

Thanks,
Ranger Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby jreyst » July 19th, 2010, 9:08 am

This is the guy who dumped at that turn... in my defense I was focusing more on not running into the extremely slow grandfatherly fellow in front of me than watching the trail... my bad :) Umm... I don't recall for sure which section it was but I don't believe it was the LAST section before the trailhead, I think it was one before that. There was also a tree down a bit before that spot. I'd volunteer to come out and assist with trail work but 1) I'm an idiot and have never worked on trails before (I could serve as dumb labor very well though) and 2) I won't be free on Monday (gym day) or Tuesday (riding with a newb at Maybury).

I will have to volunteer some time eventually though because I am under no delusions that the great condition the trails are normally in happens magically by itself. I'll try to hook up with some of you guys in the near future to contribute mindless labor :)
--
John Reyst
Primary: 2007 Giant Trance (1x10)
Backup: 2013 Fezzari Wiki Peak
First Bike: 2004 Gary Fisher Cake
jreyst

Postby pharus » July 19th, 2010, 11:44 am

jreyst wrote:...in my defense I was focusing more on not running into the extremely slow grandfatherly fellow in front of me than watching the trail... I'm an idiot ...I am under no delusions

No matter how fast I was going, I am the one who did not endo and start dripping blood everywhere.
But John is right, the trails there are great, and we'll be glad to help out.
2013 Niner Jet9 1x10
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby DNR Island Lake » July 19th, 2010, 12:16 pm

Ok looks like the guys have a plan for the blue trail.
DNR Island Lake

Postby hodaddy » July 19th, 2010, 1:47 pm

DNR Island Lake wrote:Ok looks like the guys have a plan for the blue trail.

we can also do the same with the above mentioned spot on yellow and yes it's right before the pved trail. Dave what's the chance of getting some dirt and rock dumped in the TH at the start of blue?
hodaddy

Postby DNR Island Lake » July 19th, 2010, 2:00 pm

Pretty good. I will take a quick look and set the guys up with what they need for it.
DNR Island Lake

Postby fsr1 » July 19th, 2010, 5:55 pm

DNR Island Lake wrote:Pretty good. I will take a quick look and set the guys up with what they need for it.

Thanks Ranger Dave, Let us know when things are ready to go. OD has been pretty busy so it's clearly time for me to step up to the plate. Justin, thanks for things started.

Also thanks to Loren, Dave, and Joe.

Mark D
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions