MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby Kirby » September 30th, 2013, 3:08 pm

The trails were in excellent condition on Saturday (9/28). Not sure how they are after the rain yesterday.

I do want to bring up trail courtesy. After riding, I talked to a fellow mountain biker whom wanted to shake-things-up and do a trail run on Yellow. He explained that during his run, a mountain biker was going way too fast and ran into him. The mountain biker didn't stop and check to see if he is ok. Instead... he just kept going. I don't know if the rider was going strava crazy or what, but we should all be observant and cautious when we ride (never know if there is a turkey or person around that blind corner). And if we do hit someone, we should stop to check up on the victim... right?!?! Anyways, I was little peeved when I heard the story and wanted to vent. 99.9% of mountain bikers that I have met are extremely courteous. However, there are the few whom are not and give mountain biking a bad reputation. If we see or hear any of our buddies doing such an act, we should should remind them that we're not the only ones on the trail. Thanks!!
2011 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper HT
2013 Salsa El Mariachi Single Speed - Limited Edition
2013 Salsa Vaya 2
2014 Specialized Crux Expert
2014 Specialized Fatboy Comp
Kirby

Postby Dirtdevil » October 1st, 2013, 8:11 am

Both Blue & Yellow were primo last night. The sand has settled and there weren't any puddles.

:twisted:
Dirtdevil

Postby barry1me » October 5th, 2013, 8:36 am

is IL swamped?
barry1me

Postby poirier » October 6th, 2013, 10:06 am

Tree down about 1.25 miles from the end of yellow. Fast downhill section, watch your speed.
poirier

Postby barry1me » October 7th, 2013, 8:46 am

any updates on trail conditions?
barry1me

Postby WitchDr » October 7th, 2013, 1:54 pm

Postby Kirby » September 30th, 2013, 4:08 pm

The trails were in excellent condition on Saturday (9/28). Not sure how they are after the rain yesterday.

I do want to bring up trail courtesy. After riding, I talked to a fellow mountain biker whom wanted to shake-things-up and do a trail run on Yellow. He explained that during his run, a mountain biker was going way too fast and ran into him. The mountain biker didn't stop and check to see if he is ok. Instead... he just kept going. I don't know if the rider was going strava crazy or what, but we should all be observant and cautious when we ride (never know if there is a turkey or person around that blind corner). And if we do hit someone, we should stop to check up on the victim... right?!?! Anyways, I was little peeved when I heard the story and wanted to vent. 99.9% of mountain bikers that I have met are extremely courteous. However, there are the few whom are not and give mountain biking a bad reputation. If we see or hear any of our buddies doing such an act, we should should remind them that we're not the only ones on the trail. Thanks!!

[i]I will send a big thank you to the 99.9%! Several weeks ago at Island Lake I pulled a stick through the derailleur, broke the cage and made the bike appear unride-able. Within 5 minutes I had some ultra-considerate bikers stop their rides & proceed to help (both getting their hand greasier than mine) to get me able to limp back. Thanks courteous dudes, whoever you were! [/i] :wink:
Bike: Two 29" donuts held together with Aluminum sticks
WitchDr

Postby Critter7r » October 8th, 2013, 7:58 am

Slightly OT, but I love it when runners (or even other riders) say that someone was going "way too fast". LOL ... really? How do you know it wasn't YOU that was going too fast? I mean, YOU also coundn't stop in time to keep from colliding with that biker .... so you are potentially equally at fault. The rider in the previous example is a DB for not stopping, but that doesn't make the collision any more his fault. (I'm using "you" in a general sense, and pointing at whomever was making the "too fast" comment).
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby fsr1 » October 8th, 2013, 8:20 am

Critter7r wrote:Slightly OT, but I love it when runners (or even other riders) say that someone was going "way too fast". LOL ... really? How do you know it wasn't YOU that was going too fast? I mean, YOU also coundn't stop in time to keep from colliding with that biker .... so you are potentially equally at fault. The rider in the previous example is a DB for not stopping, but that doesn't make the collision any more his fault. (I'm using "you" in a general sense, and pointing at whomever was making the "too fast" comment).

As mountain bikers it is our responsibility to yield to the other trail users. That however isn't meant to be inflammatory or to suggest that other trail users shouldn't also practice good trail etiquette.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby bugattiman1231 » October 17th, 2013, 10:01 am

I'm the one who made the small one way traffic at the hill on yellow. Glad you guys enjoy it! And suggestions would be great also. :o
bugattiman1231

Postby fsr1 » October 17th, 2013, 11:09 am

bugattiman1231 wrote:I'm the one who made the small one way traffic at the hill on yellow. Glad you guys enjoy it! And suggestions would be great also. :o

Where I for one appreciate any and all volunteerism might I suggest that you first consult the land managers (DNR) and trail coordinators first before cutting any new trail. Thanks MD.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby chong » October 18th, 2013, 7:20 am

There is a large tree trunk hanging in the power lines about a quarter of a mile in from the road where the blue trail parallels the train tracks. Be extremely careful when riding that section.
chong

Postby fsr1 » October 18th, 2013, 8:14 am

chong wrote:There is a large tree trunk hanging in the power lines about a quarter of a mile in from the road where the blue trail parallels the train tracks. Be extremely careful when riding that section.

I'll let the DNR know.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby AndyTJ » October 20th, 2013, 11:17 am

Both Yellow and Blue trails in good condion on Sunday morning after Saturday rains. A few usual puddled areas but very manageable.
AndyTJ

Postby Dakota Kid » October 22nd, 2013, 8:41 pm

There's a tree down on the yellow, about a quarter-half mile past the big hill along Grand River. Probably 8-10" diameter, but only projects a few feet across the other side of the trail. Easily able to walk your bike around it though.

Kid
Dakota Kid

Postby fsr1 » October 24th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Dakota Kid wrote:There's a tree down on the yellow, about a quarter-half mile past the big hill along Grand River. Probably 8-10" diameter, but only projects a few feet across the other side of the trail. Easily able to walk your bike around it though.

Kid

I've notified the DNR.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments