MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby trace_029 » September 19th, 2013, 10:16 am

Whenever I ride out at Island Lake I completely avoid the 2-way hill by riding in this order...

Blue -> Yellow (cutoff) -> through parking lot -> Yellow (to the bridge @ bottom of 2-way hill) -> turn around on bridge -> ride end of Blue back to the parking lot...and then another lap if desired.

So I get to ride both trails complete minus the 2-way hill section.
trace_029

Postby pongomoto » September 19th, 2013, 11:29 am

I tend to mix it up. Some days I'l do the full loops and some days I do the connector. Some days I park at the Trail Head parking lot, others I park at the beach or all the way back by the RR Tracks.

It's all fun no matter which way you do it. Just happy to be on my bike :D
pongomoto

Postby barry1me » September 21st, 2013, 9:38 am

how are the trails?
barry1me

Postby b_b » September 21st, 2013, 12:12 pm

trace_029 wrote:Whenever I ride out at Island Lake I completely avoid the 2-way hill by riding in this order...

Blue -> Yellow (cutoff) -> through parking lot -> Yellow (to the bridge @ bottom of 2-way hill) -> turn around on bridge -> ride end of Blue back to the parking lot...and then another lap if desired.

Nice. I always ride full loops now since that is some of the best trail. Only problem there is you cheat yourself out of that sandy climb. I just take it easy and pay close attention on that corner by the bridge. I took that right trail going up and it's sweet especially since reduces 2way and can't imagine anyone against that.
b_b

Postby barry1me » September 21st, 2013, 8:01 pm

trails were in good shape today, a few small puddles that you could get around.
barry1me

Postby berto2cj » September 21st, 2013, 8:22 pm

b_b wrote:
trace_029 wrote:Whenever I ride out at Island Lake I completely avoid the 2-way hill by riding in this order...

Nice. I always ride full loops now since that is some of the best trail. Only problem there is you cheat yourself out of that sandy climb. I just take it easy and pay close attention on that corner by the bridge. I took that right trail going up and it's sweet especially since reduces 2way and can't imagine anyone against that.

They recently added a new cutoff to get onto yellow. Almost near top of sandy climb
KLM / Cold Stone

2012 Trek XCal 29er
2012 Trek Madone 3.1
2014 Redline Conquest CX

Mileage:
-2011: 702.8
-2012: 3,868.31
-2013: 6,025.06
-2014: 4,500 as of 8/18

2012 Iceman: 2:44 (broken chain)
2013 Iceman: 2:22
berto2cj

Postby trace_029 » September 23rd, 2013, 8:09 am

b_b wrote:Nice. I always ride full loops now since that is some of the best trail. Only problem there is you cheat yourself out of that sandy climb. I just take it easy and pay close attention on that corner by the bridge. I took that right trail going up and it's sweet especially since reduces 2way and can't imagine anyone against that.

So I hadn't been out to Island Lake since the re-route on blue was first completed (beginning of last year or maybe it was the end of 2011?). Anyways, I rode several laps on Sunday and the trail was great (minus the dudes with guns) but since I didn't get shot at all was good. I really like that re-route on blue now that it is worn-in...that's a really nice addition to the trail. I also rode that short re-route on yellow @ the sandy hill climb and that was also really nice. Only thing I can see being a possible issue with this one is that it seems to spit you back out onto the normal trail rather abruptly...since people coming off of the blue (doing a blue -> yellow cutoff lap) are usually moving along pretty good at this point, the chance of an "encounter" seems likely...a longer more gradual "merge" zone would probably help minimize any potential collisions.
trace_029

Postby barry1me » September 23rd, 2013, 8:51 pm

trails were in great shape today, its almost like tarmac in certain areas.....smooth
barry1me

Postby mrbikester » September 23rd, 2013, 9:24 pm

We rode the Blue only today and there was a tree down at mile 3.8 on the off camber downhill section just before the road crossing. We moved the large portion of the tree to the side but it still could use a chain saw to better remove.
mrbikester

Postby ibisman » September 24th, 2013, 1:11 am

Nice. Except for the "dudes with the guns" .hmmm, bank robbers?, someone holding up a stage coach? Oh, hunters. Yep, they do that out there. The park is "multi-use, it's not just there for you.
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,717.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1294.5--miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby barry1me » September 24th, 2013, 5:16 am

ibisman wrote:Nice. Except for the "dudes with the guns" .hmmm, bank robbers?, someone holding up a stage coach? Oh, hunters. Yep, they do that out there. The park is "multi-use, it's not just there for you.

same thing was going on at holdridge on sunday. No biggie, its good to see people getting outdoors and enjoying themselves.
barry1me

Postby trace_029 » September 24th, 2013, 12:59 pm

ibisman wrote:Nice. Except for the "dudes with the guns" .hmmm, bank robbers?, someone holding up a stage coach? Oh, hunters. Yep, they do that out there. The park is "multi-use, it's not just there for you.

Yeah...I know...I was making light of it...but thanks for your instruction.

I was telling a couple of the hunters that I came across on Sunday that I had just passed (4) turkeys on the trail and I had to slow down so as to not run over them (no lie)...those guys didn't think that was too funny either...I suppose it was because I was having better luck with my bike than they were with their guns...
trace_029

Postby mrbikester » September 25th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Rode both Blue and Yellow trails today and it was absolutely PERFECT. It doesn't get better than this. Perfect weather and perfect trail conditions. Brake for chipmunks....they are everywhere.
mrbikester

Postby vette-ss » September 26th, 2013, 8:09 am

mrbikester wrote:Rode both Blue and Yellow trails today and it was absolutely PERFECT. It doesn't get better than this. Perfect weather and perfect trail conditions. Brake for chipmunks....they are everywhere.

Brake for turkey too. I came across 8 or so in the trail at about blue mile 7. They decided to run down the trail rather than out of it. They were zig-zagging all around me as I passed through. Thankfully no "dudes with guns" in the area.
vette-ss

Postby b_b » September 26th, 2013, 8:10 am

mrbikester wrote:Brake for chipmunks....they are everywhere.

Just saw one lying belly up at Maybury. Suicide by bike!
b_b

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments