MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby egraetze » June 21st, 2010, 7:33 pm

Etiquette question: I rode Blue and Yellow this evening. There were few people on trail. About 3/4 the way onto Yellow, I came up behind a rider going slower than me. I stuck behind the rider through several turns expecting that he would realize I was right behind him. I noticed he had earbuds on. Finally, once there was some passing room I announced "on your left". There was no reaction. I waited for the next opportunity, then said it louder expecting that he could not hear me making the request. Still no reaction. A couple of strides later, I said it even louder. He replied in a *beep* off tone "alright already, give me a chance". I appologized and told him that I had no idea if he could hear me with his earbuds. I appologized several times, in fact before pulling away from him. Problem is, he then rode on my ass for the next stretch. I finally asked whether he wanted to pass & he said no. I had no clue if he was just being a *beep* or wanted to use me to pace him. If the later, I would have expected him to say that he like my pace. I finally pulled away from him riding a much faster pace. He had on all his team wear and obviously was into riding. This was the first time I ever came across such an incident. I always make my presence known as I ride up behind other riders, and am always considerate enough to watch behind me for faster riders. I've been riding for many years and am very considerate of others as I regard most riders as decent, respectful and fun people. Was I in the wrong, and what should I have done different particularly since he had earbuds?
Eric
egraetze

Postby G.Cook » June 21st, 2010, 7:51 pm

You gave him notice , so pass at the first opportunity and to *beep* with the ear buds wearing bs on a multi-use trail .
G.Cook

Postby utabintarbo » June 22nd, 2010, 7:00 am

What G.Cook said.

I often use slightly faster riders who pass me as a "rabbit" for as long as I can hold on (which isn't very long, usually). It's merely a way of pushing myself a bit.
Addison Oaks TC

Current quiver

Impulse control fails me. ;)
utabintarbo

Postby fizgig » June 22nd, 2010, 1:33 pm

yeah, he was totally rude, should have moved over, there's plenty of spots that widen out.
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby DNR Island Lake » June 22nd, 2010, 7:52 pm

I had an eye opening experience tonight. I pulled a bike out of the barn and mountain biked for the first time. I rode the yellow loop. Im not sure of the time it took (1 hour maybe??? I talked to greg at trailhead for 10 minutes or so also) but I made all of the climbs and just had to take a break at the tops. Needless to say I was extremely slow with my gym shoes, work pants, white t-shirt and sunglasses. I had a *beep* of a good time though.

And as for etiquette, everyone that passed me was very courteous and also helpful. One gentleman caught me at about the 2 1/4 mile mark on yellow and actually asked where my helmet was and then coached me by saying "just keep riding here and I will tell you when i'm gonna pass." He then said he was coming by on my left and passed smoothly. It was awesome. Thanks to that guy.

Ok. yep rocks for after the woodruff creek bridge. I haven't forgotten.

Would you guys prefer me to take the walk behind mower and mow the grassy strecth after the kensington road bridge say between mile 3 1/4 to the top of the hill at 3 3/4 or so? (the stretch next to the river and the field). I could barely see the trail but it was kind of fun in a crazy way. It would only cut the grass back a little bit on both side of the trail to make the trail more visible.

Ok headed home. I will be back to work Friday. Let me know your thoughts. I will get some more trimming done out there in the near future also.

Ranger Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby Loren » June 22nd, 2010, 10:41 pm

Excellent! You've done so much for the trail system out there, it's about time you get to appreciate the fruit of your labors!
Loren

Postby rippledabs » June 25th, 2010, 2:56 pm

Hows condition? Any Axle-deep puddles or downed trees?
rippledabs

Postby KRUG » June 25th, 2010, 8:55 pm

all is good at ILRA as of Friday evening . no trees down and just a few small muddy spots. My bike came home clean.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby uk chris » June 30th, 2010, 6:59 pm

One tree down Sunday, right by the Bridge at Kent Lake road. Road the trail in the storm that came throug :D :D h, lots of face-slappers. :cry: Few mud holes that where hidden in bigger puddles. Trial was mostly 1/2 to 1 inch of lying water from the storm, great fun riding though. :D
uk chris

Postby DNR Island Lake » June 30th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Pretty sure I got your tree sunday on yellow before the bridge next to kensington road.
Had the guys put some larger fill on yellow after the woodruff creek bridge in the low area.
Also trimmed some on yellow from woodruff creek to the bridge next to kensington road plus before and after the huron river fishing site road.
Also opened up the log I cut last year on yellow after the grinder hill (after the down slope curve.) I can't think of the mile marker currently. mile 2 maybe????

Have a good 4th of July weekend everyone.

Ranger Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby ihateplaindave » July 1st, 2010, 7:21 am

"Had the guys put some larger fill on yellow after the woodruff creek bridge in the low area."
Flew thru there last night. Nice, very nice! Thanks. Now we need to discuss the BIG mudhole about 100 yards in on Blue.
ihateplaindave

Postby risnewski » July 1st, 2010, 8:40 pm

DNR Dave, you are the man! That stone was very nice to have there today. ILRA is in great shape right now.
risnewski

Postby DNR Island Lake » July 10th, 2010, 6:32 pm

I was told there was an alchohol issue at Spring Mill Pond Friday July 9th. For the record you can not possess/consume alcohol at Island Lake State Recreation Area. The ticket for possession of alcohol is $185 per ticket/civil infraction. The Ranger is a State Park Officer and has full authority to issue citations for any violations, same as me.

Hopefully this clears up any questions regarding park rules and regulations. If you have anymore questions you can contact me or feel free to pick up a copy of the DNRE rules at headquarters (the alcohol falls under Land Use Orders).

Ranger/DNR Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby fizgig » July 10th, 2010, 8:22 pm

ihateplaindave wrote: Now we need to discuss the BIG mudhole about 100 yards in on Blue.

I hit that at a pretty good clip today, luckily didn't get too muddy. Other than that most other puddles were avoidable on Blue while staying on the trail.
aka Whitey
fizgig

Postby DNR Island Lake » July 10th, 2010, 10:28 pm

This is before the Riverbend parking driveway?

What does it need? Break down a bank to drain it? Just add rocks? (I think thats gonna be my slogan...Just add Rocks)

Let me know and I will try to get out there this Monday or Tuesday.

Ranger Dave
DNR Island Lake

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions