MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby Bigfelt66 » September 7th, 2013, 7:19 pm

rode the blue today around 330. A little wet here and there. Not muddy. But sand everywhere. overall good ride today.
Bigfelt66

Postby Mikeyb64 » September 9th, 2013, 11:01 am

Just a reminder that the IMBA Trail Crew will be at the Poto this Saturday for a Trail Building School. It features a morning class and an afternoon hands on session and is being taught by professional trail builders from the IMBA. Breakfast and lunch will be provided. Details and registration are here: http://www.potomba.org/events/imbasubaru-trail-building-school/
Mikeyb64

Postby pongomoto » September 13th, 2013, 8:09 am

Trail was in great shape yesterday, until it started raining :shock: Had no idea it was supposed to storm. Anyway, the trail had some homeless tree branches laying around and two low face slappers but other than that nothing major from Wednesday's storm. No downed trees and just the normal watering holes after a good rain.

I got caught in the thick of it yesterday though on my second lap and had to ride it out, literally. I started at 5pm and it hit real sudden like around 6pm. Was on my second lap passing Spring Mill when I saw the clouds and the wind picked up. Was only a good rain with a little wind but it never got strong enough to take any trees down so I suspect the trail is still clear.

Place should be ready for some good riding this weekend. Get out and ride....some where.
pongomoto

Postby mrbikester » September 14th, 2013, 7:05 pm

We rode Blue and Yellow and it was in great shape. The sand was much better than a couple weeks ago when we last rode there. The recent rains have helped.
mrbikester

Postby barry1me » September 18th, 2013, 1:29 pm

anyone up for riding around 5 or 6?
barry1me

Postby pongomoto » September 18th, 2013, 7:57 pm

Trail is in awesome shape. Very fast today with minimal sandy spots. Was a fun ride.

I am sure this was talked about earlier this year, but is the blue longer, shorter or the same mileage as it was before? Absolutely love the single track reroute, just haven't done a mileage check. I just have a timer on the bike. Been rolling old school all year.
pongomoto

Postby fsr1 » September 19th, 2013, 4:09 am

pongomoto wrote:Trail is in awesome shape. Very fast today with minimal sandy spots. Was a fun ride.

I am sure this was talked about earlier this year, but is the blue longer, shorter or the same mileage as it was before? Absolutely love the single track reroute, just haven't done a mileage check. I just have a timer on the bike. Been rolling old school all year.

If it's longer it isn't by much but I've never bothered to check it. We'll be finessing a few parts come spring but overall I like it too. Thanks.

Mark
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby pongomoto » September 19th, 2013, 6:34 am

Mark

I did full laps yesterday, utilizing the two way sand hill. I noticed while riding up the sand hill on the beginning of the yellow (two way hill after the concrete bridge) that there was a connector that branches off to the right before you get to the top. It isn't very long and connects you to the yellow bypassing where the blue and yellow connect. I didn't take it as I wasn't sure if it was a legit reroute. Looked to open and worn to be a pirate line though. Did you guys add that recently?
pongomoto

Postby fsr1 » September 19th, 2013, 6:43 am

pongomoto wrote:Mark

I did full laps yesterday, utilizing the two way sand hill. I noticed while riding up the sand hill on the beginning of the yellow (two way hill after the concrete bridge) that there was a connector that branches off to the right before you get to the top. It isn't very long and connects you to the yellow bypassing where the blue and yellow connect. I didn't take it as I wasn't sure if it was a legit reroute. Looked to open and worn to be a pirate line though. Did you guys add that recently?

I saw it last night for the first time and made a mental note to go check it out in the light. I normally don't ride that section and when I do it's normally going down that hill so you wouldn't see it. We didn't add it but it did look fairly established. It may have started out as a deer trail?
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby Loren » September 19th, 2013, 6:49 am

It would be great to separate the two way traffic through there...
Loren

Postby fsr1 » September 19th, 2013, 6:58 am

Loren wrote:It would be great to separate the two way traffic through there...

Where's the sport in that?

I know how to do it but you'll still have the two way at the bottom and over the bridge.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby jwhitey » September 19th, 2013, 7:18 am

I believe that is an old section that used to be part of the main trail many years ago. When I ride ILRA I'll do both blue and yellow in an order that takes you through the 2 way section twice. I don't ride it often enough to know which is blue and which is yellow but I start from the corner of the parking lot and then come back through the parking lot to start the second loop. I don't miss any of the trail that way and it's almost exactly 15 miles. You will see the trail section in question here because you go up the long sandy hill after the bridge that way. I did have a rather nasty head on collision on the corner after the bridge and before going up the sandy hill about 5 years ago.
jwhitey

Postby vette-ss » September 19th, 2013, 8:01 am

I rode through there about a month ago and saw that as well. For some reason I vaguely recall there even being a painted arrow on the ground pointing the way. I thought it was a legit change to shorten the 2-way, so I rode it. It takes some off of the sandy hill climb. Was there possibly a running event that started/re-opened it and then bikers started using it?

As for distance on the new blue....my computer actually shows .4-.5 longer after re-route. It doesn't seem like it should be that long, but I had a consistent 13.8 for blue/yellow using the shortcut, and 14.3 afterward. If I park at JC Penny, I get 15.2 using the shortcut and 17.0 without the shortcut. Your mileage may vary. :)
vette-ss

Postby fsr1 » September 19th, 2013, 8:08 am

vette-ss wrote:my computer actually shows .4-.5 longer after re-route.

Shh! We're not supposed to increase trail mileage. :-)
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby vette-ss » September 19th, 2013, 8:53 am

fsr1 wrote:
vette-ss wrote:my computer actually shows .4-.5 longer after re-route.

Shh! We're not supposed to increase trail mileage. :-)

Oh, then my calibration is clearly off then.
vette-ss

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments