MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby risnewski » June 8th, 2010, 12:53 pm

DNR Island Lake wrote:We replaced and moved some of the trail markers along the two-way section of the trail. Other Dave requested some 6x6's but I only had 4x4's. I figure not everyone is as fast as Other Dave is so the 4x4's should be visible enough for most riders.

Hopefully they make the two-way section easier to navigate. Let me know.

Ranger Dave

You're a good man Ranger Dave. Thanks for the continued hard work.

Any chance of getting some gravel at that perpetually muddy area before the climb at Grand River along yellow?
risnewski

Postby edojidai » June 9th, 2010, 2:16 pm

My name isn't Mud:

I would like to ride & ILRA seems to be the best oopion after a rain. I would rally appreciate knowing the conditions as of this afternoon.

Thanks!!!
Alma 29er
EdO
edojidai

Postby b_b » June 9th, 2010, 2:37 pm

edojidai wrote:My name isn't Mud:

I would like to ride & ILRA seems to be the best oopion after a rain. I would rally appreciate knowing the conditions as of this afternoon.

Thanks!!!
Alma 29er

Don't know about ILRA, but Brighton takes rain very well, especially torn shirt. Harder trail than ILRA though. I would not hesitate to go out there.
b_b

Postby Augie » June 9th, 2010, 7:48 pm

Some flooding, lots of ruts. Bailed. Bad idea anyway, especially with all this rain.
Augie

Postby hala514 » June 9th, 2010, 8:44 pm

I rode both loops. Most of the initial part of the blue loop had mud spots but were avoidable. The rest of the trail had lots of spots where there was no option but to cross mud. Tried to stay out of the it as much as possible.

It will take at least TWO more days to completely dry out some of those water holes. but more rain is coming... oh the agony...
hala514

Postby mtbdudex » June 10th, 2010, 4:41 am

hala514 wrote:I rode both loops. Most of the initial part of the blue loop had mud spots but were avoidable. The rest of the trail had lots of spots where there was no option but to cross mud. Tried to stay out of the it as much as possible.

It will take at least TWO more days to completely dry out some of those water holes. but more rain is coming... oh the agony...

+1 on the muddy condition, I rode Blue/Yellow leaving the lot 5:40pm-ish.
Best is to ride thru the puddles instead of the edges and widening it.

btw, in new Lost/Found forum I posted this http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=97961, I found a black bike bag on Blue loop after train tracks area.
I rode ILRA yesterday (on Wed June 9th), Blue then Yellow loop.
On Blue loop, after train tracks, 2nd big downhill area at bottom sandy I found bike seat bag, circled in RED on map. Approx 6:10pm time I found it.
Kinda a pain to ride with it, just lucky for owner instead of spandex shorts I normally wear, (due to them in wash) had trail shorts on with pocket, stuffed it in my LH pocket, it irritated me the rest of my ride.
Upon back in the parking lot I rode up/down the aisles looking at people, nobody said "hey dude, did you find a bike bag?", so I just left.
No keys in the bag - or I would have ask around, its black and small.
Pls inform me contents and I'll give back to you @ my next weekly ILRA ride.
mtbdudex

MTB biking indicated on trail map??

Postby mtbdudex » June 10th, 2010, 4:48 am

When I downloaded the ILRA trail map to mark where I found the black bike seat bag posted above, I asked myself "why is the Hiking trail not called Hiking/MTB trail ?? "
Also, where is the MTB icon on that map, indicating MTB trails are at the park?
Not meaning to stir things up, but I swear at one time MTB trails were on that map, but its been like 8+ years since I looked at the map and who know my memory at 47 .....
mtbdudex

Postby DNR Island Lake » June 10th, 2010, 11:38 am

I think they are posted as multi-use trails in the park.

Yep I can get some gravel out to yellow. Probably won't be until Monday but I'll get it there.

I did some trimming the other day and so did another guy. I'm not sure what he got to but hopefully it helps make your rides a little better.

Ranger Dave.

P.S. I switched from D.N.R. Dave to Ranger Dave since the D.N.R. morphed into the D.N.R.E. and that just didn't sound right.
DNR Island Lake

Postby fsr1 » June 10th, 2010, 9:52 pm

Dave, I signed up to help out OtherDave. He'll be away for the next week or so. If you need a hand PM me.

Mark D

DNR Island Lake wrote:I think they are posted as multi-use trails in the park.

Yep I can get some gravel out to yellow. Probably won't be until Monday but I'll get it there.

I did some trimming the other day and so did another guy. I'm not sure what he got to but hopefully it helps make your rides a little better.

Ranger Dave.

P.S. I switched from D.N.R. Dave to Ranger Dave since the D.N.R. morphed into the D.N.R.E. and that just didn't sound right.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby BikerRisa » June 15th, 2010, 11:07 am

i tried to ride last thursday and got a little while in to the trial and hit a huge puddle so i backed out, just wondering if that has drained by now and if the trail is in good condition for riding this afternoon(asuming it does not start raining today)
BikerRisa

Postby hdtogt » June 15th, 2010, 3:41 pm

I was out there Saturday and it was soft in several spots, but not terrible. It was pretty busy too.
hdtogt

Postby hdtogt » June 20th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Tree down just after the entrance to the second parking lot (blue trail). It's chest level so watch out!
hdtogt

Postby DNR Island Lake » June 20th, 2010, 8:38 pm

I forgot all about that tree. I will get it Monday morning.
Its in the small section between the riverbend parking lot and the railroad tressel?

Ranger Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby Friend Or Foe » June 21st, 2010, 6:01 am

DNR Island Lake wrote:I forgot all about that tree. I will get it Monday morning.
Its in the small section between the riverbend parking lot and the railroad tressel?

Ranger Dave

yes. actually there are 2 trees down in that section about 150 yds apart. both are pretty large & will require a chain saw.
Friend Or Foe

Postby DNR Island Lake » June 21st, 2010, 9:03 am

The trees have been cleared.
DNR Island Lake

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions