MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby Jayers » April 23rd, 2010, 11:16 am

Thanks everybody. Me and my buddies were out on the blue Wednesday and everything was perfect, even the sand traps were a little tame, due to the quick downpour we had. The trail folks do a great job of maintaining this one.
Jayers

Postby Friend Or Foe » April 24th, 2010, 8:15 am

took a spin down the new gravel road by spring mill pond. turns out a movie set is being built about 1/2 mile from the spring mill parking lot. looks like something out of "high plains drifter" or the church in "kill bill". filming will start next wednesday.

even though a lot of crushed stone has been dropped & the road graded, it's like riding thru talc or ash most of the way. very soft & difficult. rain this weekend may firm it up. easier way to get back there if you're curious is off mccabe rd - ride the long gravel pathway & you'll see the church & other set buildings off to the left about a mile from the mccabe rd. guardrail.
Friend Or Foe

Postby otherdave » April 27th, 2010, 8:51 am

Was out working a bit yesterday and a runner mentioned a tree down at mile 1.5 on yellow. Can anybody confirm?
otherdave

Postby Friend Or Foe » April 27th, 2010, 5:46 pm

large tree down on yellow at mile 1.75 - about 200 yards past top of grinder hill.

nice job with the fill around mile 4 at the base of the bumpy downhill :P really speeds up the ascent to that next hilltop.

controlled burn today - blue closed from railroad underpass to spring mill pond.
Friend Or Foe

Postby trekrider34 » April 28th, 2010, 7:18 am

i know. the trail conditions here are getting worse every year. because stupid people ride it before its dry. ride when its ready or dont ride at all. this trail is a nice easy trail to get back into it at the beginning of the season. So lets keep it nice. *beep*
im am proud to say, i will be spandex free FOREVER!
trekrider34

Postby DNR Island Lake » April 28th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Kim and I cleared the down trees on yellow just after the big hill past Woodruff Creek. We cleared a few dead leaners also.
DNR Island Lake

Postby froggyrider » April 28th, 2010, 11:08 pm

Thanks Dave T., DNR Dave and Kim for your awesome help! Friday night will be PRIME! for a ride!
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby Friend Or Foe » May 5th, 2010, 6:29 am

as of tuesday nite, all is dry & free of any downed trees. the weekend rain, humidity, & sun have things growing fast - a few face slappers along the route. the small log pile at mile 7.5 on blue seems to be rotting out. when i crossed i felt a few chunks of wood coming up & you can clearly see as you approach it that one of the logs is pretty much rotted through. be careful crossing it as it may give out at any point.
Friend Or Foe

Postby DNR Island Lake » May 9th, 2010, 11:38 am

Kim and I cleared the trees on yellow at 4 3/4. Also cleaned up the large tree I cut last year by the 5 mile mark that was hanging over the trail.

Ranger Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby skeeve » May 9th, 2010, 4:45 pm

Thank you so much for the cleanup work, really appreciate it. Rode blue into yellow today and everything was great.

Just a half mile or so before the switch from blue to yellow, a rider was going the wrong way. Thankfully, it wasn't on a fast downhill or something. I told him and he turned around. Turns out, he got confused, coming up the hill from the trail head to yellow and just went straight. I showed him the sign that says "Wrong way" but I have to admit, it is very small and not very obvious. Wonder how often this happens. :shock:
skeeve

Postby DNR Island Lake » May 9th, 2010, 6:31 pm

We met with Other Dave not to long ago and discussed signage around the two way sections. It will get improved shortly.

Ranger Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby turbospartan » May 10th, 2010, 1:20 pm

How is this trail today?
turbospartan

Postby Friend Or Foe » May 10th, 2010, 3:36 pm

rode the blue to yellow via the cutoff on sunday afternoon - 14+ miles - trail was in great shape & no rain since then. hard packed & fast. a few very small puddles that are likely dried up by now.
Friend Or Foe

Postby georgemra » May 10th, 2010, 9:22 pm

Island lake is still in great shape. There are two trees down on the blue trail at about mile 3.5; one tree is at least 9in in diameter and the other one is smaller. They are crossed over top of each other.
georgemra

Postby Dirty Tires » May 14th, 2010, 2:13 pm

How is the trail today after the monsoon season we just had?
~Nate

Bike Patrol:
http://mmba.org/programs/michigan-mountain-bike-patrol/

Face-slappers are the plants trying to give you a high five.
Dirty Tires

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions