MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby Hermannator » March 1st, 2010, 10:17 pm

At the risk of being off topic, I suggest we give the "roadside ridge" on the Blue trail a formal nick name. It is one of the sections that really stands out on that trail. Yet, it is hard to describe it as "that long downhill before mile 4 on the side of the hill that comes to the road". Any suggestions? Maybe "Farmer John's Downhill"? Or maybe "Roadside Ridge" is good enough. Maybe "Don't Drift to the Left Hill."
Hermannator

Postby Paul Brown » March 2nd, 2010, 8:36 am

How about how not to execute a bench cut, (just kidding) but it does go a bit above the 5 deg mark.
Paul Brown

Postby ibisman » March 2nd, 2010, 2:08 pm

I rode the blue loop this morning (3/2/10 )before it warmed up. The trail was really good past riverbend parking lot and we (HamHock) and I made all the climbs and finished around 11:30, just as it was starting to melt. I will be good all week as long as you ride it early. We are planning on Thursday morning around 8:30am. :lol:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby otherdave » March 3rd, 2010, 11:22 am

Hermannator wrote:At the risk of being off topic, I suggest we give the "roadside ridge" on the Blue trail a formal nick name. It is one of the sections that really stands out on that trail. Yet, it is hard to describe it as "that long downhill before mile 4 on the side of the hill that comes to the road". Any suggestions? Maybe "Farmer John's Downhill"? Or maybe "Roadside Ridge" is good enough. Maybe "Don't Drift to the Left Hill."

I like Roadside Ridge...
otherdave

Postby dvandeneede » March 3rd, 2010, 1:29 pm

Hermannator wrote:At the risk of being off topic, I suggest we give the "roadside ridge" on the Blue trail a formal nick name. It is one of the sections that really stands out on that trail. Yet, it is hard to describe it as "that long downhill before mile 4 on the side of the hill that comes to the road". Any suggestions? Maybe "Farmer John's Downhill"? Or maybe "Roadside Ridge" is good enough. Maybe "Don't Drift to the Left Hill."

I like Roadside Ridge except when Icy I call it "I almost sh*t my chamois ridge" :oops:
dvandeneede

Postby G.Cook » March 3rd, 2010, 8:30 pm

When FJ was kind enough to give me a tour of his proposed reroute of that section I couldn't help but chuckle at that spot when we cmae over the rise of the ridge line . In my minds eye I could see noobs coming over that little rise and going "Oh *beep*" as they gazed down hill . I thought it was kind of evil of FJ and I liked it , A LOT . 8) :lol: :lol: In reality it was the only way off that ridge line that offered a sustainable route down . So I'm sure that is the de facto name of that ridge line route , "Oh *beep*" , for a lot of riders no matter what it ends up being called . :D
By the way , how is it holding together ? I was a little concerned with the drop in elevation on the way down for the bench cut . If it is to off camber perhaps that can be rectified with some Mcleod tweakage .
G.Cook

Postby Steve_Balogh » March 4th, 2010, 1:08 am

G.Cook wrote:When FJ was kind enough to give me a tour of his proposed reroute of that section I couldn't help but chuckle at that spot when we cmae over the rise of the ridge line . In my minds eye I could see noobs coming over that little rise and going "Oh *beep*" as they gazed down hill . I thought it was kind of evil of FJ and I liked it , A LOT . 8) :lol: :lol: In reality it was the only way off that ridge line that offered a sustainable route down . So I'm sure that is the de facto name of that ridge line route , "Oh *beep*" , for a lot of riders no matter what it ends up being called . :D
By the way , how is it holding together ? I was a little concerned with the drop in elevation on the way down for the bench cut . If it is to off camber perhaps that can be rectified with some Mcleod tweakage .

Seems to be holding up pretty good, though it's covered with deep snow. Only issue I see is past the sign that section is too narrow for snowmobiles to pass - this year they seem to avoid it altogether. Last year they had to cut across before that tree, down the steep hill straight to the bridge. I watched a guy do it once - his first time, his eyes got real wide, profanity came out, but he managed to make the sharp left down to the bridge. I had figured by early this spring that "exit" would have been wasted by the sleds, but it's still holding up.
Steve_Balogh

Postby ibisman » March 4th, 2010, 6:44 am

Yes, I too was there helping cut the evil thing into the side of that hill and thought the same thing. I guess we will have to find our "own" route down. Thanks Farmer John. :roll:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby otherdave » March 4th, 2010, 8:57 am

The bench itself is holding up well and should be sustainable. FJ and Co. put in some rolling grade reversals as a way to shed water every 30 to 45 feet. The exit is still something we're looking to improve. Unfortunately, it's in a pretty low area and tends to mud easily.

On another note, at this year's spring trail day (April 25th) our main project will be to fix the Woodruff Creek Mudfest. That's the persistently muddy section in yellow just after the wooden bridge and before the grinder climb. There will also be plenty of opportunities for trail trimming and fixing a few other problem spots in the trail.

All hands are welcome at trail days! ...plus we feed you lunch. No matter if you've been to a trailday before or not, if you want a chance to help keep ILRA full of awesome, mark your calendar for April 25th (its a Sunday). I will post more details as the day approaches so keep your eyes on this thread and "volunteers wanted". If you have something you'd like done out there drop me a PM. Ok, I'm done stumping for the trail day now.
otherdave

Re: Metro South: Island Lake 3/4/10

Postby ibisman » March 4th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Back to the trail as it was this morning, very nice! It got into the teens last night and the trail was solid over all except next to the railroad tracks but if you go next to the tracks there is a nice snowmobile track that takes you all the way to the turn into the woods. All climbs were made. :lol:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Postby bbarel » March 6th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Rode both loops and they were pretty good this morning at 8:30. I would not want to go much later than that. It was pretty cold when I started out, but the temps warmed up quickly.
bbarel

Postby Green Giant » March 7th, 2010, 7:55 am

So just to clarify... the snow is clear and as long as we get out there EARLY AM (as in temps below 35 or so...) we won't be tearing anything up?

If so - fantastic news.
Green Giant

Postby jrshome » March 7th, 2010, 8:22 am

Green Giant wrote:So just to clarify... the snow is clear and as long as we get out there EARLY AM (as in temps below 35 or so...) we won't be tearing anything up?

If so - fantastic news.

We went out early yesterday, still lots of snow and ice, also will be lots of mud if you don't get out early.

Studs are helpful, lots of glare ice
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby ibisman » March 7th, 2010, 5:00 pm

Yowza! Just what we like...glare ice. Yesiree we will be out there at 7:30am until the ice turns to dirt. The studs don't come off until April. :roll:
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

Re: Metro South: Island Lake 3/9/10

Postby ibisman » March 9th, 2010, 4:00 pm

Ha! we rode the blue and yellow loop this morning at 8:30 am and it was one of the best winter rides we have had. All the climbs were ice and we made them all and even made the benchcut down to the road crossing. we got done just as it was melting. NO RUTS WERE MADE for all you pizza cutter haters. *beep*
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972

ibisman

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions