MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby iamkickstand » June 14th, 2013, 8:20 pm

mmba7614 wrote:
fsr1 wrote:It was raining out tonight when I was working and and quite muddy. I was shocked at how many riders were out on the trail many of whom looked as though they should know better?

At the risk of being totally flamed on this board, it seems like back in the day, it was "don't ride in the spring thaw mud" because the layer under the mud isn't thawed, water can't seep, and you end up eroding the trails by water running along the trail.

Now, it seems like the overriding mantra is "there's a remote chance of anything but pristine trail conditions. Don't ride"

Again, at the risk of being counter to what the majority thinks (or at least says) here, I would be shocked to see any evidence of trail damage caused by riding last night, a day after the rain stops. Water can seep. The ground is pretty soft, even when dry, especially at ILRA. I doubt any ruts or erosion were caused.

I guess I just wonder when the change happened. Flame away.

x4 million.
iamkickstand

Postby fsr1 » June 14th, 2013, 8:56 pm

bax wrote:Few puddles this eve, trail tacky and fast. There is a very large tree accross the trail just before the parking lot - heads up it comes up fast.

No there isn't! I cleared it.
Mark Dombrowski
Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby kbankes » June 15th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Looks like there is a major caterpillar infestation at ILRA this year. All those cut up green leaves on the trail bothered me, so I stopped to look around. I saw caterpillars everywhere, but I think its what I heard that bothered me more. A distinct crackling noise which I assume was the caterpillars munching on the leaves. I don't remember such a heavy infestation from prior years. It seems to be concentrated on certain types of trees - maybe Maple? :shock:
kbankes

Postby Trial11 » June 15th, 2013, 8:17 pm

I always thought the crackling sound was from the caterpillar *beep* hitting the ground. It is literally training *beep*.
Trial11

Postby Trial11 » June 15th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Raining *beep*

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Trial11

Postby fsr1 » June 15th, 2013, 8:44 pm

kbankes wrote:Looks like there is a major caterpillar infestation at ILRA this year. All those cut up green leaves on the trail bothered me, so I stopped to look around. I saw caterpillars everywhere, but I think its what I heard that bothered me more. A distinct crackling noise which I assume was the caterpillars munching on the leaves. I don't remember such a heavy infestation from prior years. It seems to be concentrated on certain types of trees - maybe Maple? :shock:

The section toward the end of yellow just before the cinder block climbs is completely open. Usually it's under a leaf canopy. The sound is like light rain.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby lawn dart » June 15th, 2013, 8:48 pm

Rode Blue & Yellow this morning. Very good conditions, though there were some gooey spots (easy to ride around) and more than a few face-slappers.
lawn dart

Postby jajones » June 15th, 2013, 9:00 pm

There are so many riders who frequent ILRA trails. It may have the highest density of use by mountain bikers out of any trail in the State. Yet, I'm always left to wonder why so few people are left to trim (Mark and others)? I appreciate the work of the few, and this isn't meant as a poke at the TC or people putting in time, but honest-to-God, that trail has no business being as grown in as it is with how many people ride out there.

For crizzakes, all you Team Fred kit hound speedster-wannabes who spend so much time rocking out your laps with such arrogant pomposity, put the f'ing bike down on a raining day and get a *beep* lopper in your hand. There are probably five bikers a minute passing through any point on the trail on a sunny weekday after work or weekend morning, yet we can't seem to keep the trail even moderately clear of invasives once the "growing season starts". ILRA is a recipe for disaster when it gets grown in -- trail runners, walkers, bikers going every which way into twisty blind singletrack corners. Someone is gonna get racked up bad one of these days (I'm sure this has already happened.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again even though this applies to many of my friends and people I know and like --

If you are a long-time mountain biker in this State and you've never once picked up a lopper, rolled or cut a downfall log off the trail or attended a trail work day -- you are a coat tail riding POS. The people who volunteer and do the work aren't your personal gardening crew. Do something other than down your supplements and measure your resting heart rate when you wake up. You might even find grooming the trails helps enhance your PRs -- another thing you can pat yourself on your back about. I know, I know -- you are in your late 20's, 30's or 40's and now is your time to shine. Like Katy Perry sez, "You are a Firework." If you don't hit the training now with gusto, you are never gonna make the podium in Expert in your age group at the Addison Oaks Fall Classic or Ruby Campground Challenge. I mean, you can't be taking a day off from your ride schedule for *beep* that all those advocacy gardening nerds are always doing -- you know, the ones who get in your way when you are only 15 seconds off your pace deep into Yellow Loop.

Awe, f' it - it hasn't changed in 25 years, so why do I think it is going to change now?
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby fsr1 » June 15th, 2013, 9:24 pm

JaJones has been really great about offering up info on his Adopt-A-Trail program they use out at Poto, suggestion we do something similar at ILRA. http://mmba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=104699

I've spoken about this a couple of times but there hasn't been a great deal of interest and more to the point sloth on my part not having implemented such a program.

As mentioned ILRA is full of invasive species that grow like.... well... weeds?? There is a lot of mileage out there to cover and I cant possibly keep up. I like to use trail days judiciously and really don't want to call for one just for trimming.

As ever any help will go a long way and would be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby jajones » June 16th, 2013, 6:18 am

Mark,

I know I said it, but it bears repeating....

My comments shouldn't be seen as a statement about you or the folks who are doing work out there. You are doing a great job. If I didn't have such a great crew at the Poto of core "adopters", the trail would look like *beep* because I, personally, would never be able to do everything. Many hands make light work, eh?

Again, thanks for all you do at ILRA!
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Postby xcrdr » June 16th, 2013, 6:56 am

jajones wrote:There are so many riders who frequent ILRA trails. It may have the highest density of use by mountain bikers out of any trail in the State. Yet, I'm always left to wonder why so few people are left to trim (Mark and others)? I appreciate the work of the few, and this isn't meant as a poke at the TC or people putting in time, but honest-to-God, that trail has no business being as grown in as it is with how many people ride out there.

For crizzakes, all you Team Fred kit hound speedster-wannabes who spend so much time rocking out your laps with such arrogant pomposity, put the f'ing bike down on a raining day and get a *beep* lopper in your hand. There are probably five bikers a minute passing through any point on the trail on a sunny weekday after work or weekend morning, yet we can't seem to keep the trail even moderately clear of invasives once the "growing season starts". ILRA is a recipe for disaster when it gets grown in -- trail runners, walkers, bikers going every which way into twisty blind singletrack corners. Someone is gonna get racked up bad one of these days (I'm sure this has already happened.)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again even though this applies to many of my friends and people I know and like --

If you are a long-time mountain biker in this State and you've never once picked up a lopper, rolled or cut a downfall log off the trail or attended a trail work day -- you are a coat tail riding POS. The people who volunteer and do the work aren't your personal gardening crew. Do something other than down your supplements and measure your resting heart rate when you wake up. You might even find grooming the trails helps enhance your PRs -- another thing you can pat yourself on your back about. I know, I know -- you are in your late 20's, 30's or 40's and now is your time to shine. Like Katy Perry sez, "You are a Firework." If you don't hit the training now with gusto, you are never gonna make the podium in Expert in your age group at the Addison Oaks Fall Classic or Ruby Campground Challenge. I mean, you can't be taking a day off from your ride schedule for *beep* that all those advocacy gardening nerds are always doing -- you know, the ones who get in your way when you are only 15 seconds off your pace deep into Yellow Loop.

Awe, f' it - it hasn't changed in 25 years, so why do I think it is going to change now?

On point. The last time I tried to do any work there I couldn't because riders won't risk losing Strava times to slow down for trail work.
It's not your strength or skill. It's your level of commitment.

Specialized Epic Comp Carbon
Redline d660 1X9
Scott Speedster
1995 Giant ATX 890 with 1996 Rock Shox Judy XC still running!
xcrdr

Postby anevedal » June 16th, 2013, 7:23 am

Is the trail rideable today after the rain last night...?
anevedal

Postby rocky roooad » June 16th, 2013, 8:09 am

anyone know how the trail conditions are this morning?
*andrea*
rocky roooad

Postby poirier » June 16th, 2013, 9:21 am

rocky roooad wrote:anyone know how the trail conditions are this morning?

Whiney.
poirier

Postby fsr1 » June 16th, 2013, 12:40 pm

jajones wrote:Mark,

I know I said it, but it bears repeating....

My comments shouldn't be seen as a statement about you or the folks who are doing work out there. You are doing a great job. If I didn't have such a great crew at the Poto of core "adopters", the trail would look like *beep* because I, personally, would never be able to do everything. Many hands make light work, eh?

Again, thanks for all you do at ILRA!

I know what you meant. Thanks!
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments