MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby Loren » June 10th, 2013, 8:54 pm

I'm pretty flexible. It doesn't have to be a bridge at the top of the hill. I'd be fine with a tunnel under the tracks at the bottom of the hill, like what they did under Kensington road for the paved pathway...
Loren

Postby fsr1 » June 10th, 2013, 9:00 pm

:roll:
Mark Dombrowski
Asst. Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby Critter7r » June 11th, 2013, 7:36 am

Maybe a boardwalk could be built alongside the road (following the former trail that "merged" onto the roadway) that goes to the other side of the RR tracks and then there could be a proper street crossing like at other points on the trail. Kinda like the one at Kensington that's next to the freeway.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby fsr1 » June 11th, 2013, 7:51 am

Critter7r wrote:Maybe a boardwalk could be built alongside the road (following the former trail that "merged" onto the roadway) that goes to the other side of the RR tracks and then there could be a proper street crossing like at other points on the trail. Kinda like the one at Kensington that's next to the freeway.

That is the proposed plan we are working with the DNR on.
Last edited by fsr1 on June 12th, 2013, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby barry1me » June 12th, 2013, 1:39 pm

anyone ride yesterday or today? If so how are conditions?
barry1me

Postby MotoJeff » June 12th, 2013, 1:49 pm

I rode both trails yesterday, and the trail was in bad shape. There are only a couple muddy areas and no down trees. But worse are all the small branches that are in the path and the overgrown bushes next to the trail. In summary, it is ridable but not very fast or enjoyable. Bring head and eye protection because you will get hit with lots of low branches.
MotoJeff

Postby fsr1 » June 12th, 2013, 9:39 pm

I got out to do some trimming tonight. I got the section after Riverbend to the first road crossing and the section after the small bridge leading up towards Springmill Pond.

It was raining out tonight when I was working and was quite muddy. I was shocked at how many riders were out on the trail many of whom looked as though they should know better?

MotoJeff wrote:I rode both trails yesterday, and the trail was in bad shape. There are only a couple muddy areas and no down trees. But worse are all the small branches that are in the path and the overgrown bushes next to the trail. In summary, it is ridable but not very fast or enjoyable. Bring head and eye protection because you will get hit with lots of low branches.

We had a ton of rain on Monday so I'm not surprised branches were hanging pretty low for your Tuesday ride. We rode it on Friday night and overall the trail was great just the few tight spots I'd mentioned before.
Last edited by fsr1 on June 13th, 2013, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby mmba7614 » June 13th, 2013, 5:38 am

fsr1 wrote:It was raining out tonight when I was working and and quite muddy. I was shocked at how many riders were out on the trail many of whom looked as though they should know better?

At the risk of being totally flamed on this board, it seems like back in the day, it was "don't ride in the spring thaw mud" because the layer under the mud isn't thawed, water can't seep, and you end up eroding the trails by water running along the trail.

Now, it seems like the overriding mantra is "there's a remote chance of anything but pristine trail conditions. Don't ride"

Again, at the risk of being counter to what the majority thinks (or at least says) here, I would be shocked to see any evidence of trail damage caused by riding last night, a day after the rain stops. Water can seep. The ground is pretty soft, even when dry, especially at ILRA. I doubt any ruts or erosion were caused.

I guess I just wonder when the change happened. Flame away.
mmba7614

Postby tjdog800 » June 13th, 2013, 6:02 am

Bike handling in slippery and wet conditions is important. A fair number of riders at a recent Tailwinds-Pontiac Lake race crashed, hurt themselves, and had others veering off trail to avoid them when the trail's roots, rocks, and sections of singletrack became slick as snot from the rain. Many of these were fair weather riders who were not familiar with riding in such conditions.

My 2 cents...If your not leaving pizza cutters... ride on and improve your bike handling skills!
tjdog800

Postby fsr1 » June 13th, 2013, 6:14 am

I am not one of those that think the trail needs to be "pristine". We had a bunch of rain followed by more rain. I saw a few riders going around wet muddy spots. Though it may not be terrible it does cause some pizza cutters and widening. Folks I saw riding last evening looked pretty muddy?

Some trails do handle water better than others. The Tuesday night Tree Farm group ride avoided Lakeshore due to Monday's rain. ILRA is better at handling water but it's still not great.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby ihateplaindave » June 13th, 2013, 8:56 am

Also, I think all the widening that can be done at ILRA has already been done.
ihateplaindave

Postby fsr1 » June 13th, 2013, 4:01 pm

pharus wrote:Fairly soon after the beginning of the Blue loop, the trail is moving quite fast, and we come up to a parking lot entrance crossing. The trail shoots up to the road, and then back down the other side. There are a lot of shrubs next to the trail right there, blocking visibility. Could they be cut back, so that there is more visibility for the bikers to see cars coming into and out of the parking lot, and for cars to see bikers coming?

I've taken care of this as well.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby b_b » June 13th, 2013, 4:08 pm

Almost pulled out of the lot in front of a road bike coming from the left was totally hidden behind the trail head sign. Now that's good planning!
b_b

Postby Critter7r » June 14th, 2013, 5:46 am

yes, that sign should be shorter. Or taller. Or skinnier. I've noticed the poor sight line there.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby bax » June 14th, 2013, 8:16 pm

Few puddles this eve, trail tacky and fast. There is a very large tree accross the trail just before the parking lot - heads up it comes up fast.
bax

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments