MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Island Lake

Postby bike00 » February 6th, 2010, 8:42 am

ibisman wrote:...We put them on in the fall and don't take them off until April. Those who say "studs not needed" are just too cheap to buy them or too lazy to make them...

Those that put on studs and leave them on all winter are just too lazy to change their tires to match the contitions. :wink:
bike00

Postby bbarel » February 6th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Rode the blue loop today. Trail is in great shape and is pretty fast. There were a few spots I was glad for studs, but probably not required if you're careful. I'm in the better safe than sorry camp, for a casual ride.
bbarel

Postby risnewski » February 8th, 2010, 9:41 pm

Tree still down on Blue. I hope DNR finds it so the snowmobiles can pack down the trail for us after Tuesday's flurry.
risnewski

Re: Metro South: Island Lake 2/9/10

Postby ibisman » February 9th, 2010, 1:26 pm

tree still down on blue but there is a way around to the left. Did two laps of blue loop this morning in the snow "storm' and it was a blast! Going to try tomorrow again if its not too deep. Nice. 8)
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets,,
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
32,845.5 total trail miles since 2002
TRAIL Miles for 2014--1809.9-. 2015 fatbike trail miles--:1416
2016 miles..... 228 1/2 :)

Co-trail coordinator Lakeview drive /Hines drive trails
ibisman

Postby Hermannator » February 12th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Island lake was as I expected today. Got about 100 feet before I gave up on Blue. The trail has been packed down slightly by snowmobiles and skiers, but is still like riding in deep sand. Rode the park roads instead and they were snow covered but OK. A more tenacious person might make a go of it, but I didn't want to hike-a-bike. Drove to Kensington and saw that the roads there are very clean. Might have to make a trip there this weekend.
Hermannator

Postby GorillaCookies » February 13th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Hermannator wrote:Island lake was as I expected today. Got about 100 feet before I gave up on Blue. The trail has been packed down slightly by snowmobiles and skiers, but is still like riding in deep sand. Rode the park roads instead and they were snow covered but OK. A more tenacious person might make a go of it, but I didn't want to hike-a-bike. Drove to Kensington and saw that the roads there are very clean. Might have to make a trip there this weekend.

Exactly the same way for me today (2/13). Had a blast riding the roads.
It's a Sledgehammer
GorillaCookies

Postby plaindave » February 14th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Did a hike on yellow this morning. Biking may be possible, but it wouldn't be much fun. Nice day for a hike though.
"You can't be a Real Country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."

-- Frank Zappa
plaindave

Postby DNR Island Lake » February 14th, 2010, 2:31 pm

The tree on blue at 7 3/4 is clear. Didn't see anything by the 8 mile marker. It was a nice hike from Riverbend. Would have been better from Pleasant Valley turn around.

Gonna go check on another tree on yellow around Woodruff Creek.
Someone also mentioned some magic brush piles appearing on the yellow trail between mile 2 and 3 so keep an eye out for those.

Good to be back.

Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby DNR Island Lake » February 14th, 2010, 8:59 pm

Kim and I got a low hanging tree on yellow just past Woodruff Creek at the top of the big hill. The only "brush piles" we found were a few sticks in the middle of the trail.

Let us know if there are any other down trees on the trails.

Who is the T.C. around here now days?

Happy Valentines Day
Dave
DNR Island Lake

Postby froggyrider » February 15th, 2010, 6:52 am

Hi, Dave,

Dave Thompson is the TC now. I will PM you his e-mail. Thanks for your help out there!

Thanks,

Claudia
froggyrider

Location: I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy. Dorothy Parker

Postby otherdave » February 15th, 2010, 10:11 am

Thanks DNRDave! As always we appreciate the help. As Claudia mentioned I'm the TC for ILRA now. We are scheduling our spring trail day for April 25th (Sunday, start time TBD) and are putting together our list of priorities. Suggestions are welcome (from anyone).
otherdave

Postby hockeydaddy » February 15th, 2010, 10:30 am

I will personally take care of the ditch at the bottom of the downhill just before the entrance of the ridge line.
Some people are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.......
Mountain Biker

http://hockeydaddy.blogspot.com/

http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
hockeydaddy

Postby otherdave » February 15th, 2010, 10:35 am

Do you have old business with said ditch?
otherdave

Postby hockeydaddy » February 15th, 2010, 10:48 am

Same "problem" I had with that *beep* stump last year!!!
Some people are alive today simply because it's against the law to kill them.......
Mountain Biker

http://hockeydaddy.blogspot.com/

http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
hockeydaddy

Postby egraetze » February 15th, 2010, 11:09 am

I attempted to bike Blue along with my friend Sunday afternoon. We rode from the JCP parking lot onto the trail. It was just as previously noted the end of last week - like riding through deep sand. At some limited portions it was possible to get traction and steer, but for the most part it was not good to ride. At the road crossing by the tracks, we decided to bail and ride the paved road to Kensington and back. There was a group of 3 men who stuck to the trail. Met them at Spring Mill Pond on our way east, then saw them again back at the railroad/road crossing by the time we got back. They didn't make it far in the time we rode the pavement the entire length and back. Will wait for a decent thaw and freeze to give the trail some substance.
egraetze

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions