MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby mrbikester » June 2nd, 2013, 7:41 pm

Island Lake today was in great shape. Very minimal amount of face slappers and just a very few slick spots from last weeks rain. Should be perfect by Monday. Overall the trail was a pleasure to ride and the rain made the sand areas fine to ride through and the dirt is now nice and grippy.
mrbikester

Postby fsr1 » June 2nd, 2013, 8:32 pm

Great! Thanks for the report.
Mark Dombrowski
Asst. Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby deezler » June 4th, 2013, 7:59 am

A day later (yesterday, the 3rd), and the report is much the same as mrbikester's. Just a little ducking under foliage needed here and there, mostly a great, wide open blast through the woods. Trail surface was very firm, and only a few moist spots to be found.

First time for me on the new blue big re-route. Very fun! Can't believe people were really whining so much about that?
deezler

Postby Critter7r » June 4th, 2013, 8:24 am

People hate change.

I thought it was a nice change from the normal ILRA style of trail, but being out-of-charachter for the trail is probably what caused all the fuss. But like most things, after the dust settles, it's really just different, not better or worse.
<> Chris <>
I live in Holly & ride my '02 FSR 26'er '09 Trek Fuel 26'er at Holdridge.
Critter7r

Postby b_b » June 4th, 2013, 8:33 am

With all this rain all trails have heavy growth and with ILRA being a wider trail is pretty good. I was slapped silly by Maybury MMDAY weekend. :) Rode yesterday and I'd say beginning of yellow could use some trimming, but otherwise not bad. The first thorn bush on the left made some marks on my arm, but that was all my fault. :shock:
b_b

Postby georgemra » June 5th, 2013, 8:47 am

The yellow loop may have been in the as close to perfect shape as I have ever enjoyed. Enough moisture in the thread to have great tackiness without it slowing you down. Enjoy!
georgemra

Postby fsr1 » June 8th, 2013, 5:54 am

I trimmed on Blue from the lot to Riverbend.

Areas that are in need of attention for anyone so inclined are as follows. (in order of severity)

(A) The section of Blue just before the Yellow cut off.
(B) The section after Springmill Pond after ducking back into the trees is getting tight
(C) Just after Riverbend to the 1st road crossing.
(D) Just after the small bridge before Springmill Pond

Didn't ride yellow (trimmed instead)
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby pharus » June 10th, 2013, 9:09 am

Fairly soon after the beginning of the Blue loop, the trail is moving quite fast, and we come up to a parking lot entrance crossing. The trail shoots up to the road, and then back down the other side. There are a lot of shrubs next to the trail right there, blocking visibility. Could they be cut back, so that there is more visibility for the bikers to see cars coming into and out of the parking lot, and for cars to see bikers coming?
2004 Giant NRS-2
1995 Pro-Flex 755
pharus

Postby Critter7r » June 10th, 2013, 10:21 am

That would be a great idea. And as a permanent solution, I'd like to see the trail re-routed around the backside of the lot.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby fsr1 » June 10th, 2013, 10:33 am

Critter7r wrote:That would be a great idea. And as a permanent solution, I'd like to see the trail re-routed around the backside of the lot.

Lots of sand in that area and an established picnic area on the other side of the lot. It is also along the river. A definite no go for the DNR.

I will get the sight lines trimmed though.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby Loren » June 10th, 2013, 11:33 am

I'd like to see it cross the park road before the parking lot and cross over the railroad tracks at a shiny new bridge at the top of that hill...
Loren

Postby Critter7r » June 10th, 2013, 1:45 pm

fsr1 wrote:
Critter7r wrote:That would be a great idea. And as a permanent solution, I'd like to see the trail re-routed around the backside of the lot.

Lots of sand in that area and an established picnic area on the other side of the lot. It is also along the river. A definite no go for the DNR.

I will get the sight lines trimmed though.

There's lots of sand pretty much everywhere!

But I can see how the picnic area might be an issue. Plus it'd have to cross the pedestrian trail and that would create new conflicts.
<> Chris <>
Critter7r

Postby Sparty » June 10th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Loren wrote:I'd like to see it cross the park road before the parking lot and cross over the railroad tracks at a shiny new bridge at the top of that hill...

i have to imagine getting any sort of bridge over the rr tracks would be a major MAJOR effort with cost, regulatory, transportation, etc... would be great to see though. despite it being slightly hazardous having to cross over the road on a blind corner with speed, it's probably the lowest cost solution by far & to the best of my knowledge has not yet resulted in any car-bike accidents - has it?
Sparty

Postby G.Cook » June 10th, 2013, 2:30 pm

I'd like to see it cross the park road before the parking lot and cross over the railroad tracks at a shiny new bridge at the top of that hill...

did you mean to add this......... :P
G.Cook

Postby fsr1 » June 10th, 2013, 5:10 pm

Sparty wrote:
Loren wrote:I'd like to see it cross the park road before the parking lot and cross over the railroad tracks at a shiny new bridge at the top of that hill...

i have to imagine getting any sort of bridge over the rr tracks would be a major MAJOR effort with cost, regulatory, transportation, etc... would be great to see though. despite it being slightly hazardous having to cross over the road on a blind corner with speed, it's probably the lowest cost solution by far & to the best of my knowledge has not yet resulted in any car-bike accidents - has it?

He knows :D ... We've asked about crossing the tracks but were turned down. Loren does like to build bridges???/

There have been many close calls.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments