MCMBA: Island Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Island Lake

Postby tjdog800 » May 2nd, 2013, 7:06 am

Thank You! Thank You! TC & DNR!
The Blue and Yellow are in great shape. The big tree on Yellow is removed!

A lot of people use the Green Oak Village spur to load onto the Blue. It makes for a nice route... spur to Blue to Yellow cut-off to TrailHead parking lot, back to Blue, to spur. Just about 15 miles.

Wow! More runners/walkers on the trail last night than I have EVER seen. Nice that the weather is finally turned.
tjdog800

Postby TenSpeed » May 2nd, 2013, 7:56 am

Chippewa93 wrote:You can pick up the trail (Blue Loop) from the mall parking Lot ( *beep*, JC Penny). Quite a few riders start out there. Not sure if it is by design or fate, but it's interesting that there is a BW3 there for post ride "barley pops"

We had a post ride late lunch there yesterday, if it is the place I am thinking of off 23 S. Made a u turn at the JC Penney, noticed a lot of cars with bike racks. Must be it.
Ride. 46:16
2014 commuter miles/goal: 204/2500
TenSpeed

Postby BForhan » May 5th, 2013, 12:49 pm

The trail is in great condition and all downed trees have been cleared. The leaner as you make the right into the first down hill on blue to the River Bend lot is still there. Watch your heads.... godd thing I am short but it makes me duck.

Brian
BForhan

Postby c0nsumer » May 5th, 2013, 5:20 pm

I haven't been there in a year and don't get out there much, but I rather enjoyed riding today. The reroute done later last year was pretty interesting and surprising, as it seems out of character for the trail. It's very ridable and fun, but I'd be concerned that the climbing turn will erode pretty quickly. It's already got a worn tire-spin lip in it. Hopefully it holds up.

Otherwise, the trail was in great shape. Only one muddy spot after the longer/curved bridge, but there is a very solid path through/around on the right.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Loren » May 10th, 2013, 7:19 am

Reminder - there's a Tailwind's race on the Island Lake mountain bike trail tomorrow. Best chose another trail if you're not participating. More details at http://tailwind-racing.com/MTBcalendar/ ... ion-V2.pdf
Loren

Postby barry1me » May 21st, 2013, 8:14 pm

Thanks to whoever cleared that low hanging branch about 1 mile in on the blue loop.
barry1me

Postby oogs » May 24th, 2013, 10:59 am

Just to sanity check - are there any races this weekend at IL? I'm asking more because I want to avoid them.
oogs

Postby fsr1 » May 24th, 2013, 11:07 am

oogs wrote:Just to sanity check - are there any races this weekend at IL? I'm asking more because I want to avoid them.

No
Mark Dombrowski
Asst. Trail Coordinator Island Lake Recreation Area
http://www.teamtreefarm.com/
fsr1

Postby barry1me » May 29th, 2013, 1:08 pm

anyone been on trails lately? If so how are they?
barry1me

Postby barry1me » May 29th, 2013, 6:01 pm

We rode blue loop today, trails were in decent shape for the rain we got in the last few days....There was some wet spots but we rode around. Several cars in the parking lot today.
barry1me

Postby FREEDOM35 » May 31st, 2013, 6:56 am

I was going to ride a couple of laps of blue and yellow, but the ten low-hanging limbs and numerous face-slappers within the first couple of minutes led me to bail and go ride Milford.
No one likes to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli
FREEDOM35

Postby fsr1 » May 31st, 2013, 7:03 am

FREEDOM35 wrote:I was going to ride a couple of laps of blue and yellow, but the ten low-hanging limbs and numerous face-slappers within the first couple of minutes led me to bail and go ride Milford.

With so much rain things are hanging quite low. Next time bring some loppers and help out.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby FREEDOM35 » May 31st, 2013, 10:11 am

I was reporting my experience attempting to ride the trail. If I went to trim the trail, I would have brought the loppers. I reported what I found because the branches hanging so low, and in such abundance, was unexpected.
Last edited by FREEDOM35 on May 31st, 2013, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No one likes to admit they ate nine cans of ravioli
FREEDOM35

Postby fsr1 » May 31st, 2013, 11:45 am

Wasn't attempting to be a jerk. Just a thought and a lighthearted humorous suggestion for next time. Should have put a :D after my comment.
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

Postby fsr1 » May 31st, 2013, 11:55 am

That said, it is time to reach out to you guys for some volunteerism. Anyone who can spare some time for trimming it would be much appreciated. The time for face slappers is here.

If you are able to donate some time please post up where you trimmed and post your hours here. http://site.mcmba.org/index.php/get-involved/report-volunteer-hours

Thanks in advance
Mark Dombrowski
fsr1

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments