Mid-State: Bennett Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Bennett Park

Postby jacked » October 3rd, 2012, 5:41 pm

The West end of North Shore has been closed. The city just put a new concrete culvert in where we used to ride through the wash out.
Will scout a re-route/solution for the end of the trail as well as post up a trail day in the near future.

David
jacked

Postby jacked » October 10th, 2012, 7:49 am

Whoever took the time to clean up the remains from the bow legged woman in the hard woods, Thanks. Don't forget to log your time.

Picked the remains of my saw up from the shop today. Parts are no longer available. The little Homelite XL was a good little saw. Now to find a replacement.
jacked

Postby jacked » October 16th, 2012, 3:53 pm

I took out the the tree in the beginning of the Pines this afternoon as well as the pile in the hardwoods.
I also sketched in a reroute at the end of North Shore that brings you out just east of the pump house, rather than on the west like it had been. This will need additional love in the future, but for now it opens up the trail.

Heading out for a double lap and to see what still needs to be cut up if anything.... yeah as much as I liked my 22 year old Homelite XL, the new Husqvarna 440e was working just fine.

David
jacked

Postby Overdrive » December 28th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Anyone ridden Bennett of late?
Adrenaline Nut
Overdrive

Postby jacked » April 16th, 2013, 10:12 am

I walked the western half of the Jungles yesterday with chainsaw in hand. Hitting the eastern half today. Pines on Wednesday.
Trail is still wet and leave covered (plus a winter full of sticks and branches). Needs love both cleaning and riding.

Like the WMMBA is doing with there trails, it would be great if I could get a few folks to adopt sections of Bennett for the season.
My schedule does not have a lot of full days in it for trail days, but I can easily work partial days with those willing volunteers.

David
jacked

Postby reidabel » May 18th, 2013, 11:22 pm

How are the conditions? I might get out there tomorrow morning for the first time ever. Left it pretty late to ask ...

Morning update: Should be there before 8, I'm assuming the bugs are going to be bad and will report on conditions when I get back. Note that I don't know the trail, so who knows what part of it I'll find ... if any.

Silver Rav4 with a bike rack that has an MMBA sticker on it ...
reidabel

Postby jacked » May 19th, 2013, 7:03 am

Jungles, pines and hardwood should all be pretty good. I haven't hit the gully, trillium or north shore yet, but should be rideable. Let me know if any additional trees are down as I will be out there this afternoon, hopefully to ride it for the first time this year and not doing trail work.
jacked

Postby reidabel » May 19th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Bugs were out, but not insane. I was able to ride the whole trail, though I got mixed up at first, entering in the wrong spot and riding the North Shore section backwards and unknowingly getting into Jungle 1 using the dirt path along the creek. Luckily, I took a picture of the kiosk map or I wouldn't have had a clue later on. I had to stop and refer to it probably 10 times, especially whenever I came out to a road. After I was done it made more sense and I went and rode the big bridge close to Cochran Street, and the first bit of Jungle 1 that I missed. Now I know what to do next time. It took me 2 hours total, between getting confused and taking pictures of interesting things. How many miles is it in total, for the entire thing?

In the Gully, within sight of Camp Francis, the trail just disappeared entirely on one of the low corners, where a small bush/tree is down and the trail didn't emerge on the other side. I picked it up about 20 feet away, in the other direction, so a corner is hidden somehow (but of course I didn't know which way it should go). One tree down in the Gully after that, only 5" thick, but crossing the trail in two spots - I tried but couldn't get rid of it by hand. A big huge tree is across the trail at chest height, with sharp broken branches making it look like some sort of medieval torture device, in the Pines, probably two thirds of the way through. About five trees, some of them large, uprooted off of a sidehill beside the trail, and fell across the trail on the other side of the switchback. You can't miss it (see first two pictures below). I just wish this had happened at Burchfield so I could build something cool on it!!!! Are you allowed to build stunts at Bennett? I'm guessing not, judging by the lack of them.

These five healthy trees uprooted (the trail is just to the right of the big rootball and curves around to under the tops of these trees, if you ride the trail backwards):

... and some of their tops created this (my front tire is on and perpendicular to the trailbed):

This is a dangerous bit of erosion, on the North Shore section, not too far from the orange fencing, maybe a few hundred yards. Yes, this is the trailbed, as far as I could tell. The holes are open underneath the roots, you could drop things down there and they would roll into the water. It's scarier than it looks in this picture.

This log crossing on the Boy Scout trail was fun ...

Overall, I found the trail to be interesting and enjoyed my ride. It will be much quicker for me to navigate things the next time, and I will be back to ride Bennett in the future. I'm thinking it might be a good trail for my daughter to expand her skills on - nothing too steep or difficult. It's great that you could jump in and out at roads to ride specific sections, once you know what you're doing.

Thanks for all the hard work out there!
reidabel

Postby jacked » May 19th, 2013, 12:40 pm

Thanks for the detailed report..... just repaired my chain and will be out there this afternoon around 4 for my own survey should anyone want to join me. Not sure if you noticed, but I have three sign post and numerous tree signs that have been removed and need replacing. Signs are on the list.
jacked

Postby reidabel » May 19th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Wish I could join you for a chainsawing party, but working from home and being home for when my kid comes back means that I can't do it, unfortunately ...

What's the total mileage of the trail, and are you allowed to build stunts out there?
reidabel

Postby jacked » May 19th, 2013, 2:07 pm

8 miles of trail.
jacked

Postby jacked » May 19th, 2013, 5:13 pm

This clump of trees is in the Pines. It has been a slow motion fall all spring. I'll get out and make a pass through it now that it has come down to a safe working level.

Reid with your love of obstacles you should have been able to role that no problem. It was quite a bit of erosion in the cut bank this spring. Will need a re-route, as well as the end of North Shore at the pump housel

FYI, the Scout trail is not a part of the Mountain Bike Trail, but is nice connector/entrance to the park.... and if you like riding that kind of stuff, feel free to knock yourself out....

I'll get into the park this week and should be able to get all of the cutting done. We'll need to schedule a trail day to do the re-routes and signage. Unfortunately I do not have any major blocks of time available in the near future..... so I will keep plugging along. And as always, if the desire to do some trail work strikes any of you out there, I'll be glad to put you to work, if only for a few hours.

David
jacked

Postby reidabel » May 19th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Hah! I probably would LITERALLY knock myself out if I tried to ride that ;-)
reidabel

Postby jacked » May 20th, 2013, 9:17 pm

I had an opening in my schedule this morning, so I spent it with a chainsaw clearing up the last of the remaining dead falls. I think I got them all. The whole trail should be in good shape with the following exceptions... a little over growth here and there in the Gully, Trillium and North Shore (the sections that we have yet to hit with the trimmer) and the wash out and trail end on North Shore. If your out there before my next ride and see something that I missed, please post up or pm with the info.

Oh... I would skip the beginning of Jungle 1 or ride super fast for a bit, as the stench from a dead dear is a touch on the overpowering side.
jacked

Postby jacked » May 21st, 2013, 9:12 pm

I must admit it is more fun to ride the trail than to work on it. 2nd time this week, me like!

The beginning of Jungle 1 still stinks! I missed a tree on Trillium Road that I should have out on Thursday. Considering how little traffic and no spring clean up on the Gully, Trillium and North Shore they are in quite good shape. The whole trail is looking nice and is fast. No bug issues if you don't stop, a good reason to ride hard!

Also thanks to Dave Price for the work he and his boys did in the Pines. It is nice to get the help!
jacked

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments