Mid-State: Bennett Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Bennett Park

Postby yaggie1 » April 14th, 2012, 6:50 pm

Rode on Thurs night while my son was at soccer practice. Was drier than I was anticipating. Some areas are really clean and look nice. Some really need a blower badly. I am going to see if I can get a hold of one for the 28th and come out and lend a hand.
yaggie1

Postby jacked » April 19th, 2012, 8:15 pm

The blower is back online and appears to be working fine.
Spent the afternoon blowing the pines and clearing debris from the sides of the trail, hopefully giving a few more places to pass.
Parts of jungle !! were hit as well. I probably won't be back out there until next Wednesday. If anybody would like to use the blower, please pm me and we can make arrangements.
jacked

Postby jacked » April 23rd, 2012, 9:39 pm

Reminder of the trail day this Saturday, 4/28/12. Starting at 9:00, meeting at Camp Francis. Please post up or PM me if you are able to help get the trail ready for the race.

I will also be out there on Wednesday afternoon/evening if you are so inclined to assist.

David
jacked

Postby jacked » May 2nd, 2012, 7:40 pm

Rode the whole of BP for the first time this year.
The Jungles and the Pines are looking good. One new dead fall at the beginning of the Jungles that you can ride around.
The Hardwoods is looking nice with the exception of three or more new downed trees since Sat. Trail day. Some day I will ride the trail without new trees falling.... and does a tree ever fall in BP without covering more than one section of trail?
The Gully has one big tree blocking trails and the east road around Camp Francis. I will let the city take their part off before I start cutting. Much of the Gully could use a little trail TLC as well as Trillium Road.
The North Shore will be the subject of Next Wednesday's Trail Ride/Trail Night. Two Major Trees blocking multiple sections of trail, plus numerous small dead falls. Many Hike a Bike sections.

With the exception of the downed trees every thing south of the river is in decent shape. Come ride it while the trilliums are out and before the plant life tries to retake the trail. Trimmer time has started.

And then there is rock removal from the trails..... Why I have no freaking idea, but quite extensive in the Hardwoods. Signs going up. Hopefully I will be able to be positive and leave any F'tard comments out.
jacked

Postby jacked » May 3rd, 2012, 5:46 pm

I took a few hours this afternoon and hit the trees I could remember in the Jungle, Hardwoods and Gully. Also hit the first big one at the beginning of the North Shore.

If you ride it in the near future and find anything I missed, please let me know.

David
jacked

Postby jacked » May 15th, 2012, 11:20 pm

I'll be out this evening at 6:00 for the weekly group ride/trail day working on North Shore with the chainsaw. I could use at least one other saw to clean up the rest of the dead falls before Saturdays ride. Even if you can't be there on Saturday, your help would be appreciated this evening. I'll be parked at the old car bridge walking in on NS. You can also park at the back lot in BP and walk in that way.

Rode the trail last week and with the exception of NS, it is decent shape, although the jungle is starting to creep in.
jacked

Postby jacked » May 16th, 2012, 8:27 pm

North shore is open. 2 hrs 45 min, 5 tanks of fuel, 1 screwed up oiler, and 1 chain later it is clear.
All trails will soon need trimmer action, an additional volunteer or two would be wonderful.
But it is can be ridden now and on Saturday for the Explore Bennett Group Ride.
jacked

Postby jacked » May 22nd, 2012, 6:09 am

I won't be able to hit the trails for my usual Wed. cleaning. The trimmer will be available for anyone to use. The Jungle is starting to get thick. It will be available the rest of the week too. PM me and well make arrangements.
Thanks and have a good week.
jacked

Postby benl » May 28th, 2012, 3:34 pm

I rode Bennett for the first time today with a few friends. It's a pretty nice trail; excellent use of the land!

There is a huge silver maple down in the section before the Gully. Well, I don't think the trunk was so big but there were many larger branches and it covers a whopping 20 ft of the trail or so.

The North Shore part was nice to see cleared up but it could definitely benefit from raking.

I see what you guys mean about the overgrowth on the trail - ouch, nettles!! We took a couple of dips in the river to clean them off. The bridge by the trailhead has quite the swimming hole underneath it; perfect for cooling off after a ride.

The only other complaint I had was the lack of indication on the trail map where the trailhead is. The "YOU ARE HERE" text is pretty vague as to exactly where, and while you can see the trail exit, the map makes it look like the trail is just looping around there in a circle. Obviously it's not an issue once you know where the trailhead is, but it would be a nice improvement for first-time visitors, I think.
benl

Postby jacked » May 31st, 2012, 11:24 pm

The tree in the Hardwoods was taken care of today by Brad G. First time doing trail work there. He saw a need and volunteered. Neat concept. Thanks!

Jungle 1 has been trimmed, possibly excessively. It will grow back.

The "you are here" some day will need to come off the online version.

Group ride on Wednesdays at 6. Wednesday trail work often starts at 5 followed by a ride. Would love to see more new faces at either activity. PM me if you can make it.
jacked

Postby benl » June 3rd, 2012, 11:57 pm

Oh, I wish I could make it during the week but I live in Davison now, east of Flint. I come to Lansing every weekend.

Unfortunately the Holly/Flint chapter didn't join IMBA, so for now I'm staying with the MMMBA. That's where I ride the most anyway - there's not a whole lot of trails around here except Holdridge to the south.
benl

Postby jacked » June 7th, 2012, 6:42 am

Life prevented us from riding at BP last night, but we will be out there tonight. Trimmers firing up around 5, ride around 6.
jacked

Postby jacked » July 15th, 2012, 7:58 am

Rode my trail for the first time in what seems like months.
What a pleasant surprise to find most of the trees downed in the last storm had been cleared! A big thank you to who ever took care of that.
One small tree in the hardwoods and one large branch at the end of North Shore. There is a small (relative to last year) amount of growth in the Hardwoods that needs trimming and the very end of trillium and the beginning of North Shore need trimming (the only nettles I found). I don't see me getting out there in the next few weeks, so if someone could step up, grab the trimmer and take care of that, I would be most appreciative. PM me to make arrangements to get the trimmer.

David
jacked

Postby jacked » July 25th, 2012, 10:35 pm

BP is in great shape. Aside from some face slappers and one downed tree midway through Jungle II, it is really looking good. Thanks John C. for the work you have done lately.

David
jacked

Postby jacked » October 3rd, 2012, 9:16 am

My chain saw is in the shop and there are three trees down that need a little love.
1-Jungle 1 in the bamboo section (I know it's not bamboo, but if you've ridden it, you know where I am talking about) the top of tree needs to be trimmed back, rideable around as it is.
2-Hardwoods - Due east of the first stream crossing on the south bound run, a small pile of limbs bigger than I can pick up. Walk/climbable as it is.
3- Hardwoods - The Bow Legged Woman finally fell to the ground..... Probably not the best name, but every time I road by the big old Beach Tree with the split trunk that you could see through I thought of the old MASH episode where they were sing about swimming with bowlegged women..... Anyway, she is right in the middle of the Hardwood on the south bound climb just before the notched log crossing. Laying right down the trail, busted up in a bunch of pieces. Her bow legs are still standing but not much else. A big ole tree that needs to get off my trail! Your climbing through brush to get around this one.

Help needed.

David
jacked

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments