Mid-State: Bennett Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Mid-State: Bennett Park

Postby Exodus » July 12th, 2011, 10:27 pm

I got out to the trail for the first time. It was definitely overgrown, but that doesnt bother me too much, it sounds like you need some help out there. The biggest problem I had was i kept loosing the trail, mostly when it crossed itself and came back out onto a main road. So i just rode until i saw a sign the plunged through the woods to that new trail.

a few sections of the trail I did get down had some pretty nice flow to it, and I agree that the trail can be a real gem. If I still lived in that area I would definitely help out.

I ended up with this jumbled mess: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/15980069

And also, I agree about the advanced/intermediate rating that is on the trail, it is a solid intermediate trail though.
Exodus

Postby jacked » July 13th, 2011, 6:11 am

Yikes! Thanks Jason, that really helps. Your map points outs some areas that definitely needs some better signage.

It is Wed. so I will be out there today by 4 with the trimmer. 6 is the scheduled group ride. We can ride or keep on trimming. Post up, pm or call me if you will be there.

Thanks,
David
jacked

Postby Exodus » July 13th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Sorry, I left the middle of the state after the ride, however I will be back next week. During your group rides I assume that someone who knows the course is leading. An idea might be to have someone who is there for the first time try and lead and then figure out what needs to be marked.
Exodus

Postby jacked » July 13th, 2011, 11:28 pm

I'll gladly follow. Although I see where most of the problems occur from your gps track. A clean trail will help considerably. More or different signs will help in places as well. Looking forward to having a group next week. It gets lonely out here so far from Lansing.

I cleared trail from 4-7:30 tonight. All of Jungle 1 is finally taken care of. I will try and finish Jungle 2 before next week and then it is on to the Hardwoods unless someone beats me to it. That would be really nice!

David
jacked

Postby Exodus » July 13th, 2011, 11:44 pm

sweet, i'll be back in the area next Mon/Tues/Wed and am willing to give it another shot.
Exodus

Postby plunderspunk » July 15th, 2011, 6:11 am

havent done bennett this year yet so will likely be heading out after work ... maybe next week? :) Thanks for all the work you do Dave and others, its a great thing to have a trail in Chartucky! (:
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby jacked » July 15th, 2011, 7:34 am

Dang I better get trimming, we have guest coming!

Dinner was served last night on Jungle 2, raspberry delight, just not sure who planted the patach on the trail. Jungle 2 should be wrapped up today.
jacked

Postby jacked » July 16th, 2011, 8:34 pm

The pines are all trimmed up. Plenty of debris on the trail for anyone who would like to rake. And the hardwoods started....That should be done by Wednesday..... Unless someone would like to join me tomorrow afternoon. I should be there between noon and 1. Bring a trimmer, you will need it!
jacked

Postby jacked » July 20th, 2011, 12:35 pm

I am taking an afternoon off from trimming and plan on actually riding my bike tonight at Bennett. 6:00 from the kiosk. If anyone would like to use the chapters trimmer this afternoon/evening there are still plenty of areas that need trimming.

Jason are you still on for tonight? Bill are you going to make it? Anyone else?

David
jacked

Postby plunderspunk » July 20th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Oh God, it's way too hot! I'm wimping out for tonight!
next week?
Bernie Sanders for President 2016
plunderspunk

Postby jonw9 » July 20th, 2011, 3:42 pm

jacked wrote:I am taking an afternoon off from trimming and plan on actually riding my bike tonight at Bennett. 6:00 from the kiosk. If anyone would like to use the chapters trimmer this afternoon/evening there are still plenty of areas that need trimming.

David

I might try to make it out, but don't wat for me. If I get out of work on time, get home with no issues, and have everything ready to go, I could be there by 6, but it is doubtful.
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

Postby jacked » July 20th, 2011, 3:45 pm

Yes Bill it is slightly warm out and so there is no need for you to ride tonight. Lucky for you the heat won't bother you while you are trimming and I am sure the trimmer will fit your hands. I will even adjust the harness and lend you hearing protection. Safety glasses are on you though. Thanks for volunteering! See you at 6:00.
jacked

Postby Exodus » July 20th, 2011, 4:10 pm

jacked wrote:I am taking an afternoon off from trimming and plan on actually riding my bike tonight at Bennett. 6:00 from the kiosk. If anyone would like to use the chapters trimmer this afternoon/evening there are still plenty of areas that need trimming.

David

Unfortunately I have too much work to do today before I have to go back to the east side of the state tomorrow a.m.

I may very well be coming back here next week again though. I'll send you a p.m. when I am back in town.
Exodus

Postby jacked » July 20th, 2011, 7:18 pm

Bill while I may kid you on your lack of temperature tolerance, it was nasty out. The heat and a few other variable kicked my but. Jon, thanks for the ride home and tending to grandpa!

We rode everything but the North Shore. After two branches across the trail and an attack of the "super nettles" I quickly and whimpily led the way to the paved path. Now there is a trail that needs much less maintenance!
The 2nd half of the hard woods still has a few thick spots, but all are passable, the same with Trillium Road. There are also a few trees here and there in the hardwoods as well that need a little chainsaw love.

David
jacked

Postby jonw9 » July 20th, 2011, 7:27 pm

jacked wrote:Bill while I may kid you on your lack of temperature tolerance, it was nasty out. The heat and a few other variable kicked my but. Jon, thanks for the ride home and tending to grandpa!

We rode everything but the North Shore. After two branches across the trail and an attack of the "super nettles" I quickly and whimpily led the way to the paved path. Now there is a trail that needs much less maintenance!
The 2nd half of the hard woods still has a few thick spots, but all are passable, the same with Trillium Road. There are also a few trees here and there in the hardwoods as well that need a little chainsaw love.

David

No problem. I found some other options for you to do tomorrow:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2011/07 ... hill?ps=rs
"Seriously though, you clearly think a lot more than I do when you are riding." -jajones
"You're going to suffer on a single speed, you might as well suffer going faster." - Indigenous
jonw9

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions