Western: Greenville Shearer Road Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Greenville Shearer Road Trail

Postby gtrowbridge » June 13th, 2011, 9:23 am

Road the trail yesterday after riding Edwards.
Trail was in great shape.
Some of the nettles and burdock is getting pretty high on one of the burms. Glad others had already ridden through there to remove the needles! Couldn't see the trail very well through there. Could use some spray to keep that down.

That new Teepee structure is huge. Little high for me until I inspected it. Next time I'll do it. Wasn't ready for it this time and not sure I had the legs left over anyway. :|

I would like to see more structures or obstacles more towards the end of the trail. After a while I'm thinking "aren't I done yet" because it seems the trail starts to get redundant instead of "can't wait to get to this part next". Of course that is after coming off EC which is constantly throwing things at you so that might have skewed my perspective. :)

Overall a great trail. I love that I can ride both EC and Shearer and not have to get on the road with the Cages in between. That is so awesome.
Keep up the good work!
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby wyldweazel » April 23rd, 2012, 1:43 pm

I rode Shearer road Sunday. Overall, the trail is in good shape. Only one spot of mud on the trail, which should dry up in a matter of days. Less than 30 inches in length. There is one pine tree down in the very first area. people have been riding around it. It is about 18 diameter and sits about axil high. One of the bridges is sinking down to the point you might get some creek water one you. :o lol. Overall still a great trail.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
wyldweazel

Postby Longdaddy » April 29th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I moved the pine tree today. Also picked up a bunch of limbs and sticks. This place still needs some love though. The section across the bridge is kinda neglected. If anyone is interested in doing a trail day send me a pm. If we had even 3 or 4 people we could get this place back in tip top shape.
Longdaddy

Postby the Putti » April 29th, 2012, 5:32 pm

Rode this today for the first time. It was a great place to bring a beginner (my wife). And I agree that a little TLC is needed. Longdadday, my next several weekends are booked, but if you get some people together towards the end of May, I'll help.
I reject your reality and substitute my own!

2009 Specialized Allez Sport Compact Double
2009 Niner EMD
2013 Cannondale CAADX
2013 Redline Monocog
the Putti

Postby whitekir » June 23rd, 2012, 5:44 pm

Rode Edwards Creek, then headed over here...what is going on here? Closed for construction? Private property? Will this continue to be a nice mountain bike trail, or has something come up?
whitekir

Postby RickPlite » June 26th, 2012, 8:04 am

Shearer Road Trail is closed temporarily. There is heavy construction going on and we are losing some land. When the construction is finished we will reroute the trail and open it back up. Edwards Creek is still open
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby gtrowbridge » July 10th, 2012, 9:28 am

Went by the trail head today.
Very disappointing to see all the pine trees being logged off the first section. Stumps ripped out of the ground too.
Those were a nice start to the trail.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby gtrowbridge » September 4th, 2012, 8:53 am

As reported under the wMMBA forum section the trail has been rerouted and restored to the original 5.5 miles.
I have not been there yet to check it out though.
gtrowbridge

Postby volklgirl » September 4th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Hadn't checked in here in a while and was surprised by the loss of the pine section. That said, though, the reroutes and new features totally make up for the loss of acreage! The SRT flow of old has returned and even the slightly rough new stuff left me grinning the whole time. The Moose Racing reroute signage is awesome and impossible to miss!

I must have missed something because I only got 5.0 miles on the ODO, and there was a really confusing intersection off the old ridge line (railroad bed?). There's a new cut through there that takes you right and back onto the incoming trail while the old left turn and over the ditch bridge appeared to be blocked off. I couldn't figure out any route through there that made sense, so we just walked over the blockage and continued on the old trail. If this has been rerouted, some version of signage needs to be put in there. Also, the bridge is looking a bit sketchy these days and needs some lovin'.

Otherwise, GREAT JOBS, GUYS!!!
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby bockrona » October 17th, 2012, 8:46 am

Rode here yesterday along w/ Edwards Creek. Slow and slippery w/ lots of wet leaves and sticks down. There are some trees down that are blocking the trail.
bockrona

Postby bockrona » June 12th, 2013, 9:15 am

Rode Edwards Creek and Shearer Road yesterday. A little wet, slippery and slow at the moment, but these are fun trails that are under utilized. Go to Greenville and ride.
Some clearing and cutting was being done yesterday, thank you to the maintenance crew.
bockrona

Postby gtrowbridge » March 1st, 2014, 8:43 am

Anyone been riding this this winter? Lately?

wMMBA Ionia State Rec Area Trail Coordinator - Using Tapatalk from my cell.
gtrowbridge

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments