Western: Greenville Shearer Road Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby volklgirl » May 18th, 2008, 11:53 am

Rode again yesterday after that fearsome wind storm. There's a huge tree down at mile 3 (by my odo). It's just after the long straightaway along the ridge, then the sharp left into the ditch, and just after the smallest log pile. It'll require a crew and a chainsaw. I called Randy to let him know (his is the only # I had).

The rest of it is still looking and riding great.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby grpd326 » May 30th, 2008, 8:52 am

Nice job grooming for the race. We came down and rode Saturday....everything was in great shape

Glad someone finally nailed down the entry boards on the pit skinny. However, there is now enough space in between for a 1.95" tire to drop right in causing a scary and painful fall. Sad Any possibility that can be closed up a tiny bit???? (Please!?)

The paved connector is quite nice too!!!

I rode the trail on 5/28 for the second or third time this season and was going along great until i hit the hole in between the planks that you mention here. I was cruising along at a pretty good clip when my front tire fell right into the hole and stopped me in my tracks. I was vaulted over the top of the bars with my feet still in the clips. I somehow landed on the planks, folded up like a pretzel, with the bike on top of me. My head was wedged in between the nose of my saddle and the planks - I couldnt move it at all as it was so tight in between the two. I was able to lift my bike off of me and after shaking out the cobwebs and coming to, I was able to take a look at the damage. I had two huge egg size humps on my right arm that were instanlty black/blue. My right knuckels were torn to bits and swollen and I had a softball size brise on my right thigh. I managed to get to my feet and back on my bike - which appeared to suffer no damage. I slowly rode out to the road and took the pavement back to the parking area. Luckly I did not break any bones but my right arm suffered an extreme amount of pain.

As much as I love this trail and appreciate all the work put into it, I would highly recommend that those entry boards be re-nailed and placed much closer together - lest anyone else suffer the same fate.
grpd326

The Pit

Postby hd7mag » June 2nd, 2008, 5:25 pm

Rode Greenville Shearer rd., this weekend. Still remains one of my favorites. Did notice that the "pit" area materials have been dismantled and tossed into the brush, only several of the underlying logs remain in the pit area and the trail leading up to the entry is covered with obstructing brush etc... Appears to have been done by design. If not, I would be more than willing to help reconstruct. Again, great job keeping this trail well groomed.
hd7mag

Postby unabomber » June 2nd, 2008, 8:28 pm

It was taken apart for the following reasons.( Not at all to go off on you,and thanks for the offer)
1. It was constructed without permission from the TC (me) .
2. It has needed repair several times,and is constantly neglected.
3. There were several complaints about it coming apart,and boo-boos, I informed the parties that if they enjoy having things like this they need to man up..get off their asses and fix this crap with out someone holding their hand, after several weeks no one had made any effort to repair said stunt, so out it goes.
4. People think that the TC has nothing better to do than trail work, they think the trail fairy comes at night and picks up all the trash, picks up all the sticks,trims,mows,fills wet areas,and repairs everything. Sorry the trail fairy is a myth...all the work on both trails is done by only about 4 or 5 people.

Sack up folks...get involved. :shock:
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"Bob Dylan"
unabomber

Postby volklgirl » June 2nd, 2008, 10:03 pm

I'd also be happy to come down and help re-construct. It's one of my faves, and this was the first time I've ever had a problem with it.

I brought my trimmers to snip some face slappers and picked up some trash on my last visit. Would have taken care of the downed tree, but it was too big for the 2 of us to move and we don't own a chainsaw. :( I'm always willing to help out when I'm down there. Are you going to have a trail day this year? If so, I'm there as long as it's on a weekend and not on 6/21 (I'm signed up for BOW).
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Trail Conditions

Postby Steven_Arnold_Cole » June 26th, 2008, 8:18 am

coming from GR tonight, how's the trail look?
Steven_Arnold_Cole

Postby mtbyker » June 29th, 2008, 2:32 pm

Trail is in very good condition, despite the recent rains. get out and enjoy!
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby volklgirl » June 30th, 2008, 7:50 pm

Ditto....it was in awesome shape on Sunday. All the clay hills are firming up nicely and the new log piles are sweet. Beware the entrance to the 6x skinny after the teeter - that dirt is still really soft. :shock:

BRING BACK THE PIT SKINNY!!!! :( :(
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby unabomber » July 4th, 2008, 6:09 am

Everything clear and in very good shape. Thank you to all who are mowing
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"Bob Dylan"
unabomber

Postby trout_smith » September 22nd, 2008, 7:03 am

Rode this trail again yesterday, and the guys out there must have added another MILE of trail. Thanks to whoever is putting in big hours on these two trails in Greenville. It's a great ride!
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

greenville shearer

Postby sparky » September 24th, 2008, 6:02 pm

Trout said it...the trail fairies have been out. New singletrack cut!!!! Get out and ride!!!! Thanks to those responsible! :D

Sparky
sparky

Edwards Creek 2 Shearer Rd Connection???

Postby Creamy » October 20th, 2008, 10:30 am

Hey Gang!
Looking at making a trip downstate this wkend to my favorite technical-twisty trail Edwards Creek and would like to get in a loop on the Shearer Rd trail as well... Any recommendations on connecting the two? are there any connecting trails or easy way to cut over on side streets to get between the two?
Thanks!
C
Copper Ridge Riders Association:
Creamy

Postby trout_smith » October 20th, 2008, 10:51 am

Right across the road from teh E.C. trailhead, the Fred Meijer pathway begins. At the fork (not far), go right and follow the paved trail to the end. It dumps you out right across the road from Shearer Rd. Take Shearer road North about 1/2 mile or so, and you'll see a little dead-end street to the left with an 'MTB Trail' sign. And you're at the Shearer Rd. trail. If I remember right, both loops plus the connector is about 16miles. And they have added some to Shearer Rd since then.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Re: Edwards Creek 2 Shearer Rd Connection???

Postby paydirt_07 » October 20th, 2008, 10:53 am

Creamy wrote:Hey Gang!
Looking at making a trip downstate this wkend to my favorite technical-twisty trail Edwards Creek and would like to get in a loop on the Shearer Rd trail as well... Any recommendations on connecting the two? are there any connecting trails or easy way to cut over on side streets to get between the two?
Thanks!
C

Creamy - Just follow the Flat River Trail paved connector (about 2 miles). It starts across the street from Edwards Creek parking entrance and pretty easy to follow where it dumps out on Shearer Rd.
paydirt_07

Postby volklgirl » October 20th, 2008, 3:18 pm

The connector trail is quite nice and the route to- and from- is well marked, although the signs are small so you could blow by them if you're screaming along.
2012 Miles
volklgirl

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments