Western: Greenville Shearer Road Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby trout_smith » July 22nd, 2007, 6:20 pm

Finally rode Shearer. Another fantastic trail in Greenville. Shearer and EC are going to get a lot of my MTB time now. This really is another great techy, twisty trail. A lot of great features packed into 4.6 miles. The ones I liked most --

> Climbing through the pines - gotta love that tight twisty climbing. I really need to consider shortening my bars. I left some marks.

> The elephant's back - This was a real butt clencher! Going into it, I figured it would be like the one at EC. First off, it's a lot steeper so I nearly came to a stop at the top - only to see about a 6" spine to balance on, and rounded at that! And then you drop into a tight curve and have to avoid nailing a small tree. Very nice. I like!

> The rock garden - So that's what a real rock garden looks like! Lets just say I have something to conquer there in the future. I did ride the other, smaller rock gardens, though.

For those that want to ride both trails without dismounting, I was given some pretty good directions. See the Edwards Creek thread for those. Just a couple of helpful hints. When you take the new rail-trail-in-progress as far as it can go, you'll be at the river. You need to cross the road, cross the river, and go down a set of wooden stairs on the other side. Then continue on the unfinished trail to the end. Up the embankment, over the guard rail, and you'll see Shearer Rd. off to the left. Mostly rideable - but BE CAREFUL. They are working on this trail and I'm sure it changes often.

Follow the other directions from there.

Peace.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby volklgirl » August 12th, 2007, 7:50 pm

The stunning work goes on!!!!!!! This trail just rocks. Thank you guys so much for all the work you're pouring into the GMBA trails Image

Finally conquered the clay hill ridge ride at mile 1 that took me out on our very first ride here! Loved the new log ride/jump and totally forgot about the steep exit on the first log pile so almost did an endo, but pulled it out just in time :wink: . I have a hot date with the teeter next time.....on my first try, I stalled at the pivot and lost my balance. Almost managed to ride off, but did a "controlled" face first dismount/crash instead :oops: . The second try was shaky but successful.

Next time, the rock ride and the log skinny are mine!!!
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby x98myers7 » September 3rd, 2007, 3:00 pm

great stuff guys

i'd HIGHLY recommend some better trail markings, starting with the entrance. put an arrow pointing up/back so people know the trailhead is at the back of the parking lot. secondly, i found that all the Ys in the trails were poorly marked. i literally had to stop and look at the signs on my first time thru, and i hate that. i'd HIGHLY recommend use of colored arrows (even spray paint is cool).

otherwise, it was a thoroughly enjoyable ride. i'd like to see a few of the twisty sections straightened out a bit more so you can carry speed better. the teeter-totter, spines and logs were all excellent. i loved it.
x98myers7

Postby x98myers7 » September 3rd, 2007, 3:05 pm

trout_smith wrote:> The elephant's back - This was a real butt clencher! Going into it, I figured it would be like the one at EC. First off, it's a lot steeper so I nearly came to a stop at the top - only to see about a 6" spine to balance on, and rounded at that! And then you drop into a tight curve and have to avoid nailing a small tree. Very nice. I like!

elephant's back? are you talking about the log ride right before the 1mile mark?
x98myers7

Postby trout_smith » September 3rd, 2007, 6:27 pm

x98myers7 wrote:
trout_smith wrote:> The elephant's back - This was a real butt clencher! Going into it, I figured it would be like the one at EC. First off, it's a lot steeper so I nearly came to a stop at the top - only to see about a 6" spine to balance on, and rounded at that! And then you drop into a tight curve and have to avoid nailing a small tree. Very nice. I like!

elephant's back? are you talking about the log ride right before the 1mile mark?

No, no logs. It's basically a pile of dirt that you ride up onto and balance along the top of. I haven't been out there in a while, so I don't know if it's still the same.
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby volklgirl » September 3rd, 2007, 11:05 pm

Oh, you're talking about the clay hill right at mile 1. That would be the very hill that gave me the stunning scar on my calf! :lol:
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby rings » October 11th, 2007, 1:41 pm

I just started riding this trail the past two weeks and love it! Thanks for all the hard work on this trail...it looks like it'll be enjoyable all year 'round.
The World's Greatest Wiffle Ball Tournament!
www.thefatty.com
rings

Postby mtbyker » October 12th, 2007, 10:32 am

Rode Shearer road for the first time in about 3 months last weekend, wow it has gotten nice! It reminds me of bass River-but a little faster and some cool obstacles. I had an awesome crash on the teeter-totter! Hit it just it a little too hard and my front wheel got up in the air. On the way down the other side I rode a wheelie until my rear wheel hit the ground and then I went over. It was good entertainment for Jeff and Marty! But. anyway, the trail is awesome.........GO THERE!
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby volklgirl » October 12th, 2007, 3:37 pm

Yea, that teeter is tricky.

If you hit it too fast, it's on its back up before you're even off....too slow and it just hangs there for a while, plus it's narrow so staying on it can be tricky too.
2012 Miles
volklgirl

Postby rings » October 21st, 2007, 9:19 pm

Was out there today and several trees have fallen just before and after Mile 2...

Large tree, about chest high is just before...

2 smaller trees - passable, but rough - are on the ground just after...

...any plans to get a work group out there? :?: I'd be happy to help if I'm in town.
www.thefatty.com
rings

Postby unabomber » October 22nd, 2007, 7:25 pm

I went out tonight and cleared the 2 smaller trees, As of right now I think some guys are planning to get together Wednesday to remove the big one. I have no idea what time they are looking at though.
We have no immediate plans for a work gang but if you want to PM me with your email addy I will add you to the list. If anyone would like to help out with some smaller jobs shout at me I'll hook you up.
Businessmen, they drink my wine, plowmen dig my earth,
None of them along the line know what any of it is worth."

"Bob Dylan"
unabomber

Postby rings » October 22nd, 2007, 11:27 pm

I can be available on Wednesday...anytime after 4pm and happy to help. LMK...
www.thefatty.com
rings

Greenville: Shearer Road

Postby T-rex » November 15th, 2007, 7:32 pm

This trail, for those who haven't checked it out yet, is awesome! The guys that are putting time in on the trails in Greenville should be commended.

I was out a few days ago for a quick ride and Shearer was riding fantastic. Tight, well groomed, lots of new additions that rode like they've been there all summer, nice to say the least.

With the new section of the Flat River trail paved now, it makes for a nice 2 mile connector between Shearer and EC, a total of around 16 miles of trail to ride. As mentioned in the EC forum both of these trails in Greenville are on City property and are open all year. If your looking for a SAFE place to ride during deer season, or any time of the year, come over to Greenville and check it out!
T-rex

Postby mtbyker » November 16th, 2007, 4:06 pm

Did Shearer and then took the paved trail over to EC today-what a great Fall day and a great ride. Both trails were in perfect condition. The City of Greenville did a 1st class job on this new piece of paved trail that connects the two trails. For the next week or so I'll try to get there a few more times, the gun hunters are only in the woods for 2 weeks of the year, I like to let them have it to themselves as much as I can. A little boring write up of my ride here: http://www.xanga.com/Single_track_mind
Kwitchyerbellyakin. -- Irish saying

http://stores.ebay.com/mtbyker-bikes-and-parts
mtbyker

Postby rings » November 16th, 2007, 5:51 pm

mtbyker wrote:Did Shearer and then took the paved trail over to EC today-what a great Fall day and a great ride. Both trails were in perfect condition. The City of Greenville did a 1st class job on this new piece of paved trail that connects the two trails.

Where exactly does the paved trail come out, south of Shearer? Is it off of Greenville Drive (bypass) or Hillcrest Road?
www.thefatty.com
rings

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments