Poto: Sanford Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Poto: Sanford Park

Postby Todd Scott » November 13th, 2006, 10:18 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Sanford Park
Todd Scott

Postby bill_m » November 18th, 2006, 7:06 pm

We had a great workday today!! Thank you to everyone who came out and helped. We cut enough new trail to create a nice loop. We even built a few "technical challenges" to make the trip out to the park worth while. :wink:

To get to the park, take the Carpenter Road exit off of US 23. Pick up Arkona Road on the east side of the highway (Arkona only goes south). Take Arkona to Sanford. Right turn on Sanford and just after the railroad tracks you will see a sign for the "Field of Dreams" model airplane park. This is the place. When you turn into the park you will see a row of pine trees on the left. At the end of the row of pines you will see the trailhead. If you follow the road back to the airfield parking you will have to ride back up the road to get to the trail.

There is much more to come, but this is a solid start to a great little trail. Head up to Hewen's Creek and it will make a great day's ride.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby J.knight » February 5th, 2007, 11:00 am

Just a quick update. Sanford park is in good shape. There are a few Icy sections due to the heavy rains of december freezing over. The trail has been getting some use, but could use more.

Additionally The second phase of the trail is completely marked and ready to be cut. Stay tuned for a work day. The new part is on slightly higher dryer ground. There is a third phase in the planning stages. When the whole system is finished there will be about 6 miles of singletrack.
J.knight

Looking for an update.

Postby cajames » September 10th, 2007, 8:48 am

Just wondering if this trail has been used and if it is ridable.

Please post an update.
Thanks.
cajames

cajames, I went by it a couple times this summer, once about

Postby victors » September 10th, 2007, 8:18 pm

a 6 weeks ago and then again about 2 weeks ago. A section of it looked mowed, but it didn't look like it had been used at all. If you haven't been out there, it looks like a new trail. I kept waiting for an update as well and none came, so I never took the chance to ride it. I have wanted to because it is pretty close by, but don't want to waste the time if it is overgrown. Have you checked out any of the other trails in the area like Munson, Heritage Park or Hewens Creek?
victors

Postby J.knight » September 11th, 2007, 10:11 pm

Unfortunatley Sanfordpark is in terrible shape. It needs mowing badly and needs some re-routing. I just havent had time to do much, but if there is interest, I still think it would be a cool trail.
J.knight

Looking for Interest.

Postby cajames » September 13th, 2007, 7:36 am

I have started a thread looking to see how much interest there is in reviving this trail.

Please visit

http://www.mmba.org/viewtopic.php?t=67658

Please answer the poll and leave some feedback.
Thank you.
cajames

Postby bill_m » November 18th, 2007, 12:18 pm

James, can we get a trail update after your workday yesterday?

Also, we should get a map uploaded to the trail guide. Once one is created e-mail it to webmaster@mmba.org

Thanks.
Potawatomi Chapter President
Join the Poto Chapter e-mail list: MMBA-Poto-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
bill_m

Postby J.knight » November 19th, 2007, 11:52 pm

OK,
Sanford park is back open and ready to ride. We got one reroute done around the first "water hazzard." The woods section is really cool now, there are two really good log/RR tie piles and the dirt mounds along the canal are in good shape. We will be having another work day after Thanksgiving to finish a few more miles. Stay tuned.
J.knight

Any updates?

Postby grnd93 » April 21st, 2008, 10:55 am

I'm thinking about taking the drive down there this week. Anyone been yet?
grnd93

Postby santosdo » May 1st, 2008, 7:58 pm

Stopped by Wednesday after work. Its right on my way home so its a perfect place to stop for a quick ride. I couldn't quite find the trailhead as described above, so I rode the perimeter of the flying field until I found what I assumed was the entrance. All the trail I found was a wide, mowed grass trail - if there is a section that is single track I didn't see it. About a mile in or so it was wet enough to be described as impassable. There's also a dirt two track section that runs parallel to the power lines. There actually look to be some nice hills beyond that so if the trail runs back there it would be a lot more interesting than the otherwise flat terrain. I was in a bit of a hurry that day so I didn't explore much. What I saw seemed to be well maintained, I just don't know my way around that well yet.
santosdo

Postby grnd93 » May 7th, 2008, 5:51 pm

it doesn't look like there's been any update in awhile, perhaps the trail has been abandoned by MMBA? Sucks, I need something closer.
grnd93

Postby skiNbike » July 17th, 2008, 11:21 pm

So, is it abandoned? It would be nice to ride something in my backyard.
skiNbike

Postby grnd93 » August 12th, 2008, 6:27 pm

I'm probably going to go out there sometime this week. I'll post what I find.
grnd93

Postby J.knight » August 12th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Unfourtunatley you aren't going to find much. After a year of scheduling work days where only 1-2 people would show up, I've given up. The trail has been all but totally reclaimed by grass and brush. I'm sure the parts in the woods are still there, but they arent linked together any more.
J.knight

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments