Poto: Waterloo

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Poto: Waterloo

Postby Todd Scott » October 20th, 2006, 2:26 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Waterloo
Todd Scott

Postby dew » October 20th, 2006, 2:55 pm

I thought mtb-ing wasn't allowed at Waterloo, except for special permits like the TTC. Has the proposal gone forward to where we are now allowed to ride?
dew

Postby Todd Scott » October 20th, 2006, 2:58 pm

There is a five mile loop open to biking, but I hear it's not very good.

The DNR compiled a list for us of State Parks and Recreation Areas that have hunting and MTB trails. I went through the list and added the five trails that weren't already in the Trail Guide.
Todd Scott

Postby barrybs » October 20th, 2006, 3:41 pm

If you look at the Waterloo map posted in the trail guide section the bike trail is at the bottom toward the center near the intersection of Maute and Leach roads. I noticed it on a map a few years ago and got all excited and went down to ride it. It was pretty much unridable due to large trees down, sand, and postholes from horse traffic. It really is some beautiful terrain and probably has some potential if you could keep the horses out.

Barry
barrybs

Postby jajones » October 23rd, 2006, 6:54 pm

Posting a trail conditions section for Waterloo is misleading and shouldn't be done. First of all, the "five miles" of trail is nowhere near five miles. Second, it is totally unrideable for various reasons -- from lack of maintenance to horse impact that make this bridle trail unsuitable for biking. Third, it is not even signed and there is no proper access lot/trailhead to park.

Listing it on the trail conditions page will give mountain bikers the impression that there is viable trail open and rideable at Waterloo. If and when they venture out there, they will be confused and frustrated by the situation.

The DNR should be told that these trails are not viable, and current members of the agency should be educated on the politics behind why this section was "designated" open to mountain bike use as a "gotcha joke" by the former Unit Manager of Waterloo who was staunchly anti-bike. By catering to the DNR on this issue, the MMBA is making legitimate mountain bike access at Waterloo into a joke.
Poto IMBA Potawatomi Trail Coordinator
Waterloo (MTB Trail System) Working Group, Acting Chair

Fat Bikes are Dumb, Ride a 650b 27.5"!
jajones

Lot's of battle wounds

Postby rmanzanares » July 17th, 2008, 2:46 pm

Would be nice if the DNR would go through and clear out the downed trees. Was off my bike every 100 meters or less in some places due to logs. Some were hopable, most weren't (for me.) The small loop is more ridable than the big one, but also had more horse...evidence. The big loop had plenty of sticker bushes at arm and leg level, but tires were fine. At one point we were riding in shoulder level grass, but that was kind of fun. Big hills up and down. Not as crowded as Pinkney but for obvious reasons. Trail is worth improving and would be a fun ride if the trail floor were clear.
rmanzanares

Re: Poto: Waterloo

Postby spwrozek » June 25th, 2009, 10:45 am

Is this trail a real trail or not? It looks like there is no place to park close to it... also why is it just inside the horse loop. I was thinking about trying it out since it is only a 10 mile drive down 94. Does anyone have any info on this other then posts from 3 years ago? The TG says that the Poto Chapter is looking to make significant improvements, what is up with that. Is it worth the 10 min drive to check out or no?
spwrozek

Postby MattRides » July 14th, 2010, 10:30 am

So has anyone been out to the Waterloo MTB trail recently? I am really curious. Unlike the previous reviewer, I have to drive over an hour to get to Waterloo, and it's not worth the hassle if the trail is still crap.
MattRides

Postby spwrozek » July 14th, 2010, 10:51 am

It is uber crap. some people went and cut out the trees last year but it has been completely destroyed by horses. Really this thread should be closed as to not trick people into going there.
spwrozek

Postby jrshome » July 14th, 2010, 1:54 pm

spwrozek wrote:It is uber crap. some people went and cut out the trees last year but it has been completely destroyed by horses. Really this thread should be closed as to not trick people into going there.

+1 on this, no place to ride at Waterloo, my parents live right there and this is crap
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together..."
-- Carl Zwanzig
jrshome

Postby Knewbike » August 13th, 2012, 1:35 pm

Thought I'd try mountain biking for the 1st time in 15 years. I went here cause it is the closest to my house, and because I knew I'd be largely alone. Many large downed trees. I parked where the trail crosses on Maute rd. Signage doesn't even indicate bikes are allowed. All horse tracks. Not even any footprints let alone tire tracks. Signage all shot up. Difficult ride for 1st time back. Go if you are a masochist.
Knewbike

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments