Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo Recreation Area)

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: DTE Energy Foundation Trail (Waterloo Recreation A

Postby c0nsumer » June 26th, 2016, 9:10 am

I found myself doing a LOT of standing, probably 50% of my ride. Even when pedaling. The little rollers / table tops especially forced me into a higher gear and to pump through them while pedaling to keep speed up. (I need to work on those...)
Steve Vigneau
Bald Mountain Trail Coordinator / Addison Oaks Co-Trail Coordinator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer

Postby Jared13 » June 26th, 2016, 6:32 pm

DynoDon wrote:I went clockwise, I don't think I ever stood up, I have a 29er full suspension Specialized Epic under 25 pounds.. I don't spin, I run a 36t chainring, I didn't have to shift much, just motor around that trail. Hills get my hr up, but 140 is high for me. I climbed the highest hill in Wayne co Friday, 10 times in 45 minutes, I never got to 140 bpm, nothing weird about it, hopefully you'll get to 70 yrs old, then you can be weird. I think its weird that you don't understand, everyone is different.
70 yrs old from 220 is 150 thats my max hr.

Ahhh, that makes sense. If you're just motoring around the DTE Trail while seated it would keep the HR fairly low-ish. Flow trails are meant to be ridden dynamically (standing up, getting light on the fronts and HEAVY on the backs) not statically (seated). Riding a pump track at full throttle is one of the hardest workouts on a bike. Intervals hurt so good.

I didn't wait until 70 to be weird, I'm already way past that stage! LOL!

220 - your age is just a guideline that was never intended to be taken a rule, but I think I've been on my soapbox enough lately so I'll just drop that one.
Jared13

Postby jwhitey » June 26th, 2016, 7:31 pm

I alway wanted to strap 70 pounds on my fast buddys back that weighs 150 lbs and see how fast he is then.. LOL[/quote]

You are amazing and I tip my hat to you. I hope I'm riding when I'm 70, It's less then 20 yrs away for me so it's looking likely right now.
I have a buddy who used to complain that he wasn't as fast as me because he was heavier and he made comments about strapping extra weight on me. If you saw him you would know that the reason he was so much heavier than I was is because his legs were twice the diameter of mine. He was a little stockier than me but he'd been riding with and living with the same weight on the same legs for as long as I've know him. When does size really make the difference? Wear and tear on the bike for sure but bigger people usually have bigger muscles and are therefore stronger. I don't think size and speed are as directly related as a lot of people think they are.
jwhitey

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » June 26th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Nice discussion - but please reserve this thread for trail conditions only.

Thanks!
WishIcouldcatchmybreath
Administrator

Postby jwhitey » June 26th, 2016, 7:43 pm

Gotcha
jwhitey

Postby cmkovick » Yesterday, 3:11 pm

The DNR has the sign on order and is about 2-3 weeks out from now. The orange flags are to bring attention to the drive so people can find it until the official sign ready and installed.
Chuck Kovick
DTE Energy Foundation Trail Committee
Get on the list to help @ volunteer@waterlootrail.org
https://www.facebook.com/dtetrail/

"Build It, Before You Ride It"
cmkovick

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments