Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Mike_D » July 25th, 2012, 6:32 am

bergie05 wrote:Hows the trail? Super sandy with all the dry weather? Should I try Robinettes instead?

Everyplace around town here is super sandy right now with the lack of rain. Luton Park is probably the best trail around town right now with the least amount of sand but even that trail is pretty loose in spots right now and lots of brake bumps in the corners have developed (probably partly attributed to lack of rain/loose soil?).
Mike_D

Postby Mark H. » July 31st, 2012, 2:41 pm

FYI
Tree down about 50yrds before you get to the log pile & on the upper trail by the log pile, also going up to Plites peek. There is no way over or through the tree that is 50yrds before you get to the log pile, will need a saw. Thought Luton would have damage from the storms but that was clear, I didn't ride the CSGA so I cannot say how that is.
Mark H.

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » August 2nd, 2012, 11:41 pm

How is the trail lately? Are the downed trees gone? Trying to decide between Luton and the Ski area tomorrow morn.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Mike_D » August 2nd, 2012, 11:46 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:How is the trail lately? Are the downed trees gone? Trying to decide between Luton and the Ski area tomorrow morn.

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2

I rode the ski area Wed. night and it smelled like someone had just cleared the downed trees off the trail. Thank you to the person or persons that did that :!: The trail was 100% ridable as of Wed. night about 7:30pm.
Mike_D

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » August 3rd, 2012, 10:33 am

Thanks mntn-biker

I concur, the trail is 100% rideable, not too much sand either. All of the downed trees are cleared. It does appear the the trail hasn't been ridden much lately, there is a lot of debris on the trail from recent rains/storms. Nothing major, but the trail is definitely in better shape than Egypt Valley.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby kms662 » August 4th, 2012, 10:15 am

Rode this morning. Trail in great shape. THANK YOU to the folks clearing deadfall and downed trees from the trail! :D
kms662

Postby Slimm » August 12th, 2012, 10:07 am

2 trees down on the two track climb after the creek trail
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby trout_smith » August 12th, 2012, 6:20 pm

I always go up the big climb at the start of this trail. Lately, I have noticed a sign that says "MTB Trail" pointing left before the climb. If someone goes this driection, aren't they just bypassing about a mile of sweet trail?

Is this just left over from the State Games race course, or is there another explanation?
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby RickPlite » August 12th, 2012, 6:59 pm

trout_smith wrote:I always go up the big climb at the start of this trail. Lately, I have noticed a sign that says "MTB Trail" pointing left before the climb. If someone goes this driection, aren't they just bypassing about a mile of sweet trail?

Is this just left over from the State Games race course, or is there another explanation?

the TC's out there prefer to take that route so they can get warmed up. After they finish the loop then they take that climb and exit near the creek trail, turn left and head back to the lodge. They don't miss a thing this way.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby trout_smith » August 14th, 2012, 8:29 pm

RickPlite wrote:
trout_smith wrote:I always go up the big climb at the start of this trail. Lately, I have noticed a sign that says "MTB Trail" pointing left before the climb. If someone goes this driection, aren't they just bypassing about a mile of sweet trail?

the TC's out there prefer to take that route so they can get warmed up. After they finish the loop then they take that climb and exit near the creek trail, turn left and head back to the lodge. They don't miss a thing this way.

Huh, I must be missing something, I'll have to do some exploring next time I'm out there. When I go left at the start, I just go straight up the two track to the creek trail, turn around and go back down. It sounds like there is another loop I'm missing somewhere off to the left before this, huh?

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby cramer » August 14th, 2012, 9:24 pm

trout_smith wrote:
RickPlite wrote:

Huh, I must be missing something, I'll have to do some exploring next time I'm out there. When I go left at the start, I just go straight up the two track to the creek trail, turn around and go back down. It sounds like there is another loop I'm missing somewhere off to the left before this, huh?

No you're doing it right. Just start riding the creek trail and ride the rest of the trail as you normally do. Then when you're done and come down the hill, turn right and go up that first climb the way you normally start the trail. After you finish the long downhill run and the log crossing you get to the creek and just turn left there and follow that back out the way you started. All you're doing is starting and ending in the middle instead of where you normally start, everything else is the same.
cramer

Postby trout_smith » August 14th, 2012, 10:14 pm

cramer wrote:
trout_smith wrote:
RickPlite wrote:

No you're doing it right. Just start riding the creek trail and ride the rest of the trail as you normally do. Then when you're done and come down the hill, turn right and go up that first climb the way you normally start the trail. After you finish the long downhill run and the log crossing you get to the creek and just turn left there and follow that back out the way you started. All you're doing is starting and ending in the middle instead of where you normally start, everything else is the same.

Thanks - I'm a little slow! That makes sense, to avoid the lungbuster climb right out of the gate. I'll ride it that way next time. Cheers!

The Motion Initative

trout_smith

Postby RickPlite » August 15th, 2012, 7:34 am

trout_smith wrote:
RickPlite wrote:

no other loops. just go into the creek trail first, ride the trail as normal from there. when you exit at the skills area turn right and do the big climb and then exit at the two track by the creek trail
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Mike_D » August 15th, 2012, 11:34 pm

2 large trees down on the uphill 2 track just past the "million dollar view" and before the turn up to Plite's Peak.
Mike_D

Postby Slimm » August 25th, 2012, 8:11 pm

tree down right before the top of plites peak
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions