Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby sisu » January 13th, 2014, 7:41 pm

How long is the groomed trail?
sisu
 
Posts: 780
Joined: August 23rd, 2004, 3:11 pm

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby RickPlite » January 13th, 2014, 11:08 pm

TuRBo Todd wrote:Thinking of going tomorrow. How are the trails?


they were groomed tonight before the WMMBA meeting and again after. They should be great tomorrow
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby TuRBo Todd » January 13th, 2014, 11:30 pm

thanks. 3 mile loop, right?
On 2 wheels, or thinking about them
TuRBo Todd
 
Posts: 135
Joined: October 15th, 2007, 11:55 am
Location: Grand Haven

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby RickPlite » January 14th, 2014, 9:00 am

TuRBo Todd wrote:thanks. 3 mile loop, right?


yes
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
User avatar
RickPlite
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: July 16th, 2002, 11:23 pm
Location: Comstock Park

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Mike_D » January 14th, 2014, 9:11 am

YouTube link to the Farmers Fatbike Race last Saturday. This is great entertainment watching riders go down without any warning :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK8XHm7L4Ss&list=UUTsbbtWRjE5ksxaBmKnYm3A&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DjK8XHm7L4Ss%26list%3DUUTsbbtWRjE5ksxaBmKnYm3A&app=desktop
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby gtrowbridge » January 26th, 2014, 9:15 pm

Tried to ride the trails today. As the 6 guys coming off the trail just before we started said "the trail is not ridable". It had not been groomed since Friday and the big snow dump Saturday just laid down too much. They had just started grooming at about 3pm today. The snow was too dry n fluffy to pack. Nothing but slipping and sliding even with my moonlander 4.8 bud and lous on.
they were nice enough to give us our money back.
I will call ahead next time and ask when they last groomed after a "snow event". I think you need at least two hours for the snow to set up after grooming.

We ended up riding a section of the Flat River Valley Rail Trail that is known to have (illegal) snowmobile traffic. It still proved challenging to stay upright but was better than the burg.

Looking forward to retuning to the burg when then trails are perfect. Sounds like people are really enjoying it

Who would have thought snow would be so "fickle"?

wMMBA Ionia State Rec Area Trail Coordinator - Using Tapatalk from my cell.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 347
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Mike_D » January 27th, 2014, 6:15 am

gtrowbridge wrote:Tried to ride the trails today. As the 6 guys coming off the trail just before we started said "the trail is not ridable". It had not been groomed since Friday and the big snow dump Saturday just laid down too much. They had just started grooming at about 3pm today. The snow was too dry n fluffy to pack. Nothing but slipping and sliding even with my moonlander 4.8 bud and lous on.
they were nice enough to give us our money back.
I will call ahead next time and ask when they last groomed after a "snow event". I think you need at least two hours for the snow to set up after grooming.

We ended up riding a section of the Flat River Valley Rail Trail that is known to have (illegal) snowmobile traffic. It still proved challenging to stay upright but was better than the burg.

Looking forward to retuning to the burg when then trails are perfect. Sounds like people are really enjoying it

Who would have thought snow would be so "fickle"?

wMMBA Ionia State Rec Area Trail Coordinator - Using Tapatalk from my cell.


FYI - For a "Plan B" next time, keep in mind the White Pine Trail (10 minutes further west) is plowed from Russell St. (just north of 14 mile) south to Comstock Park. North of Russell St. is groomed for snowmobile trails and might be another option for your fat tires.
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby gtrowbridge » January 27th, 2014, 8:20 am

Mike_D wrote:
FYI - For a "Plan B" next time, keep in mind the White Pine Trail (10 minutes further west) is plowed from Russell St. (just north of 14 mile) south to Comstock Park. North of Russell St. is groomed for snowmobile trails and might be another option for your fat tires.


Thanks.
Good to know.
The FRVRT was on the way home and 3mi from my house so it made it an easy choice without spending more time driving.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
User avatar
gtrowbridge
 
Posts: 347
Joined: October 28th, 2008, 9:31 am
Location: Belding, MI

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Ranger Pride » February 1st, 2014, 5:08 pm

Cannonsburg ski area "groomed" trail was not rideable today. This is the second time we have gone out there on a Saturday you it was too soft to ride. There was a guy riding around on a snowmobile with a sled. He stopped and talked to us and we noticed there was basically no weight on the grooming sled he was towing behind him. Maybe that is the issue but either way two failed attempts. I do appreciate their putting forth the effort but if you are going to charge people you have to put out a better product.
Ranger Pride
 
Posts: 160
Joined: September 8th, 2005, 5:02 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby giantone » February 1st, 2014, 5:49 pm

Ranger Pride wrote:Cannonsburg ski area "groomed" trail was not rideable today. This is the second time we have gone out there on a Saturday you it was too soft to ride. There was a guy riding around on a snowmobile with a sled. He stopped and talked to us and we noticed there was basically no weight on the grooming sled he was towing behind him. Maybe that is the issue but either way two failed attempts. I do appreciate their putting forth the effort but if you are going to charge people you have to put out a better product.


Are you saying you paid for a pass and then were unable to ride ?
giantone
 
Posts: 204
Joined: September 10th, 2011, 9:34 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Ranger Pride » February 1st, 2014, 8:23 pm

giantone wrote:
Ranger Pride wrote:Cannonsburg ski area "groomed" trail was not rideable today. This is the second time we have gone out there on a Saturday you it was too soft to ride. There was a guy riding around on a snowmobile with a sled. He stopped and talked to us and we noticed there was basically no weight on the grooming sled he was towing behind him. Maybe that is the issue but either way two failed attempts. I do appreciate their putting forth the effort but if you are going to charge people you have to put out a better product.


Are you saying you paid for a pass and then were unable to ride ?


Nope...We called first and the person that answered the phone could not tell us if the trail had been groomed or what kind of condition it was in. We actually tried it out first and only got about 100 yards up the trail. Our plan was to pay if it was rideable. Not how they want it but after the last time we wanted to make sure it was worth it. They have a great idea, they just need to figure out a way to get some weight on that sled. In other area's the trails have small grooves in them after then have been groomed (based on pictures I have seen). I am not sure if that helps but I have a friend that rides the Vasa up in TC and it always seems to be in pretty good shape.
Ranger Pride
 
Posts: 160
Joined: September 8th, 2005, 5:02 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby giantone » February 1st, 2014, 8:29 pm

Ranger Pride wrote:
giantone wrote:
Ranger Pride wrote:Cannonsburg ski area "groomed" trail was not rideable today. This is the second time we have gone out there on a Saturday you it was too soft to ride. There was a guy riding around on a snowmobile with a sled. He stopped and talked to us and we noticed there was basically no weight on the grooming sled he was towing behind him. Maybe that is the issue but either way two failed attempts. I do appreciate their putting forth the effort but if you are going to charge people you have to put out a better product.


Are you saying you paid for a pass and then were unable to ride ?


Nope...We called first and the person that answered the phone could not tell us if the trail had been groomed or what kind of condition it was in. We actually tried it out first and only got about 100 yards up the trail. Our plan was to pay if it was rideable. Not how they want it but after the last time we wanted to make sure it was worth it. They have a great idea, they just need to figure out a way to get some weight on that sled. In other area's the trails have small grooves in them after then have been groomed (based on pictures I have seen). I am not sure if that helps but I have a friend that rides the Vasa up in TC and it always seems to be in pretty good shape.

Sounds like the gamble of traveling to ride a trail in winter. Sucks they charge for what is free the rest of the year. Bottom line is that Cannonsburg Ski area (key word ski) exists not for bikers but for skiers.
giantone
 
Posts: 204
Joined: September 10th, 2011, 9:34 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Mike_D » February 1st, 2014, 8:37 pm

Check out this video. This is a trail groomer, not just a sled.

https://vimeo.com/80386440
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Ranger Pride » February 2nd, 2014, 8:41 am

Mike_D wrote:Check out this video. This is a trail groomer, not just a sled.

https://vimeo.com/80386440



That would be the ticket to some great packed down trails.
Ranger Pride
 
Posts: 160
Joined: September 8th, 2005, 5:02 am
Location: West Michigan

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Mike_D » February 2nd, 2014, 9:09 am

Ranger Pride wrote:
Mike_D wrote:Check out this video. This is a trail groomer, not just a sled.

https://vimeo.com/80386440



That would be the ticket to some great packed down trails.


I bet the Cannonsburg ski area maintenance crew could whip up something like this. Just guessing they have some steel, a drill press, a welder, maybe even a little mill in their maintenance. They'd get their money back in no time if the trails were groomed like in the video. Fatbikers around the area would be flocking to their trails in conditions like this where that would be the only rideable trail in the area. Just sayin'....
User avatar
Mike_D
 
Posts: 2147
Joined: March 29th, 2004, 11:22 am
Location: Grand Rapids

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests