Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby cramer » May 8th, 2012, 2:36 pm

I saw that the XC trail has been extended even more through the skills area. This new stuff is really cool and fun to ride. It's slightly more technically challenging than the rest of the trail, yet it's still easy enough for the average XC rider to handle using an XC bike. There are options for more challenging features along the route too. This new stuff for sure "smartened up" the trail (opposite of dumbing down :D ).

If you haven't ridden the newer stuff, follow the trail to the left as you're in that clearing and heading down that last hill at the end of the trail. I think there are some blue ribbons marking it. You'll end up crossing the old two track trail to the north and riding on that side for a while, then when you pop back out on the two track, look for some more trail on the left (south) side that goes up hill, this is the newest stuff that I just learned about. I'm not sure how long it's been there so maybe this is old news.
cramer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » May 9th, 2012, 8:06 am

Bigtymer wrote:
LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:
Bigtymer wrote:Has anyone calculated on their GPS how long the ride is when connecting SGA and the Ski Area? 14 miles?

When I did it without the connector trail I got 20 miles even. SGA was 3 miles away from Ski area (from where I was entering/exiting)

Wait, SGA is about 7.5 (give or take a few tenths of a mile due to wear, which extends the trail's length) along with maybe 7 miles from the ski area, plus the three miles in between, where did you get twenty?:) Are you including the new trail off Meyer's that Cramer designed as well? Sounds great though, I can't wait to come home and visit the new trail loop with both the Ski Area and SGA. Word!

6 miles for Ski
3 miles for to get to SGA
8 miles at SGA
3 miles to get back to Ski (where my truck was)

I know that I don't make the best choice from where to enter and leave the trail on SGA but these are just my calculations

Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby RickPlite » May 9th, 2012, 12:03 pm

connector trail from Game to Ski

connector by westernmmba, on Flickr
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » May 9th, 2012, 8:09 pm

That is WAY shorter than the route I was taking. I might ride that in the morning!
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Slimm » May 10th, 2012, 9:07 am

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:That is WAY shorter than the route I was taking. I might ride that in the morning!

AND, the connector trail is awesome. i think cramer labled it as one of the nicest sections out there. i concur

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby TooFast46 » May 11th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Thank you to those who were working on the connector tonight. I felt like an *beep* as I rode past which made the flat tire I got before even reaching the Ski Area trail well deserved. Karma is a beach.
TooFast46

Postby gtrowbridge » May 14th, 2012, 1:42 pm

Rode this trail for the first time this year.
What a great trail.

Some confusion though...the fence around the new tow rope "thingy" just before you are about to head into the woods and begin the climb....it has a sign saying "MTB trail" with an arrow pointing left up the two track. What is the reason for this? It looked like it cut out the first section of the trail and that is some of the best part, but the old entrance (going right from the "thingy") is still very much accessible.

Love that the return after the IMBA berms now goes through the challenges instead of just straight down the hill.
Very good work there!
I don't do all the challenges but the whoop dee's are great.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby yamaha13 » May 14th, 2012, 7:50 pm

The sign that says "MTB trail left" is The State Games route from last year and just a different way to ride the course instead of heading straight up the big hill. Just go left at the sign, left again at the top which will bring you into the area referred to as "The Swamp" but it's not anymore the water problem has been fixed and the area trimmed up so it's fun to ride. Then when you come out of The Swamp just turn left again and head into the trail. After you come out of the trenches near the traditional end of the trail before the downhill two track turn left again into the skills area, ride the section there then cross the two track ride the section on the right of the two track then left again towards the end of the skills area accross the two track left and into the new section, when you finish the new section take a left to head down the two track then finally a right after the arrow and back into the woods to the big hill, when you finish you come out next to the swamp trail then left and back down the hill you started with or right and keep going. Hope this helps and don't forget to ride the connector trail to State Game area.
yamaha13

Postby RickPlite » May 14th, 2012, 9:54 pm

yamaha13 wrote:The sign that says "MTB trail left" is The State Games route from last year and just a different way to ride the course instead of heading straight up the big hill. Just go left at the sign, left again at the top which will bring you into the area referred to as "The Swamp" but it's not anymore the water problem has been fixed and the area trimmed up so it's fun to ride. Then when you come out of The Swamp just turn left again and head into the trail. After you come out of the trenches near the traditional end of the trail before the downhill two track turn left again into the skills area, ride the section there then cross the two track ride the section on the right of the two track then left again towards the end of the skills area accross the two track left and into the new section, when you finish the new section take a left to head down the two track then finally a right after the arrow and back into the woods to the big hill, when you finish you come out next to the swamp trail then left and back down the hill you started with or right and keep going. Hope this helps and don't forget to ride the connector trail to State Game area.

The Swamp is the Creek Trail, don't be changing names on me... :lol: :-)
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby yamaha13 » May 14th, 2012, 10:48 pm

Sorry Uncle Rick! Creek Trail it is!
yamaha13

Postby gtrowbridge » May 15th, 2012, 8:44 am

yamaha13 wrote:The sign that says "MTB trail left" is The State Games route from last year and just a different way to ride the course instead of heading straight up the big hill. Just go left at the sign, left again at the top which will bring you into the area referred to as "The Swamp" but it's not anymore the water problem has been fixed and the area trimmed up so it's fun to ride. Then when you come out of The Swamp just turn left again and head into the trail. After you come out of the trenches near the traditional end of the trail before the downhill two track turn left again into the skills area, ride the section there then cross the two track ride the section on the right of the two track then left again towards the end of the skills area accross the two track left and into the new section, when you finish the new section take a left to head down the two track then finally a right after the arrow and back into the woods to the big hill, when you finish you come out next to the swamp trail then left and back down the hill you started with or right and keep going. Hope this helps and don't forget to ride the connector trail to State Game area.

Ah. Got it.
Thanks!

Skills area is great....like a giant pump track in the woods.
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » June 15th, 2012, 9:33 pm

The Ski Area is SANDY! It could definitely use some rain. I did see quite a few people out this morning though so it's getting a good amount of traffic.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby Kampfire » June 19th, 2012, 7:45 pm

Anyone find a black wallet in the parking lot tonight? (6/19) I was parked near the mtn bike sign along the grass. Thanks!
Kampfire

Postby Kampfire » June 19th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Nvm found. crisis averted.
Kampfire

Postby wizzy » July 2nd, 2012, 11:25 am

Was out here this morning for the first time, riding solo. Things seemed a bit sandy, not surprising with the lack of rain we've had. Had the trails to myself, which was good since I'm a newbie.

There were several trees down across the trail at one point. I don't know how to describe the location better than between a steep sandy hill that I had to walk up and the shortcut to the SGA.
wizzy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions