Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby cramer » May 2nd, 2012, 7:37 am

TooFast46 wrote:+1 That is a fun little segment- good addition to the normal loop to change it up.

On another note, I haven't ridden SGA before and I would like to try it. How much farther down the road is the SGA trail?

When you hit the road, continue on in the direction you were going (South) until you get to five mile, it's only a couple hundred yards. Turn left (East) and go up the hill. As you're coming down the hill keep an eye out on the right side of the road for a trail that leads to the game area. Ride that little spur trail in about just a bit and you will pick up the main trail at a corner, go left at that point.

SGA dumps you on the road three times so you sort of need to know that part too, just follow bike tracks whenever you hit the road. 1st road - right turn, then left back on the trail at top of hill, 2nd road - left turn, then right at bottom of hill to get back on trail, 3rd road, right turn, then another right at the bottom of the hill.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » May 2nd, 2012, 8:38 am

Gmap-pedometer.com shows this to be just under .9 miles from where you pop out on Egypt Valley Road to approximately where you hit the singletrack entry point to the game area:

Mike_D

Postby TooFast46 » May 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm

That's not very far at all then. Thanks both of you, especially cramer for the heads up about the roads.
TooFast46

Postby Mike_D » May 2nd, 2012, 1:03 pm

TooFast46 wrote:That's not very far at all then. Thanks both of you, especially cramer for the heads up about the roads.

The best way to do the game area would be to do the game area with someone as a guide to get the "lay of the land". The trails are kinda marked but for the first timer out there, it might be a little confusing but if you simply follow Cramer's directions and watch which way the bike tracks are going when you come to an intersection, it will be pretty self-explanatory. If you do the game area first, then later ride from the ski area and pick up the game area, it will be easier to understand where you are at when you pop out on the trail off of 5 mile.

When/if you access the game are from the ski area, don't forget to make a mental note of where you pop in at since you will need to take that way back to the ski area. It's pretty easy to remember since you get on the trail at the apex of a long "u-turn" but just stay left at this point like Cramer said.

Where I have the cursor pointer is where you will pop out on the game area trail. The dashed line is 5 mile road but it is paved (not gravel as you might be led to believe).

Mike_D

Postby RickPlite » May 2nd, 2012, 3:08 pm

cramer wrote:Someone's been busy out there! Trail was in great shape last night, thanks for maintaining it. New connector trail is really cool. I was thinking of it in terms of utility and was surprised to find it's also some of the most fun trail out there. It's surprisingly worn in and packed down pretty good already too.

Bill and Todd are the Ski Area Trail Coordinators and are the ones responsible for all the hard work. Thanks guys!
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » May 3rd, 2012, 6:10 pm

RickPlite wrote:
cramer wrote:Someone's been busy out there! Trail was in great shape last night, thanks for maintaining it. New connector trail is really cool. I was thinking of it in terms of utility and was surprised to find it's also some of the most fun trail out there. It's surprisingly worn in and packed down pretty good already too.

Bill and Todd are the Ski Area Trail Coordinators and are the ones responsible for all the hard work. Thanks guys!

I thought it was fun, scary flying over that edge with all the ruts and rounding that corner at speed. I guess i was the only one. :roll: Theres a small jump with rocks that probly slow people down, maybe if you fill it in more people will ride there, and dont forget to cut out that little hill with all the sand that most people cant get up. Please just leave the trails alone. :?
Last edited by G.R.XC-MTNBKR on May 3rd, 2012, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby RickPlite » May 3rd, 2012, 8:35 pm

G.R.XC-MTNBKR wrote:
RickPlite wrote:

I thought it was fun, scary flying over that edge with all the ruts and rounding that corner at speed. I guess i was the only one. :roll: Theres a small jump with rocks that probly slow people down, maybe if you fill it in more people will ride there, and dont forget to cut out that little hill with all the sand that most people can get up. Please just leave the trails alone. :?

We'll get on it right away!
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Bigtymer » May 4th, 2012, 8:11 am

Has anyone calculated on their GPS how long the ride is when connecting SGA and the Ski Area? 14 miles?
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » May 4th, 2012, 8:21 am

Bigtymer wrote:Has anyone calculated on their GPS how long the ride is when connecting SGA and the Ski Area? 14 miles?

When I did it without the connector trail I got 20 miles even. SGA was 3 miles away from Ski area (from where I was entering/exiting)
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby McGurk » May 4th, 2012, 11:20 am

Yep, the "connector" is as much fun as anything else. Nice change of pace from the buff trails. Also, the left turn into more single track off the two track return to the Lodge - pretty cool! I chickened out at that drop near the end (the one reinforced with concrete blocks). Time to grow a pair!
McGurk

Postby Bigtymer » May 5th, 2012, 7:39 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:
Bigtymer wrote:Has anyone calculated on their GPS how long the ride is when connecting SGA and the Ski Area? 14 miles?

When I did it without the connector trail I got 20 miles even. SGA was 3 miles away from Ski area (from where I was entering/exiting)

Wait, SGA is about 7.5 (give or take a few tenths of a mile due to wear, which extends the trail's length) along with maybe 7 miles from the ski area, plus the three miles in between, where did you get twenty?:) Are you including the new trail off Meyer's that Cramer designed as well? Sounds great though, I can't wait to come home and visit the new trail loop with both the Ski Area and SGA. Word!
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby cramer » May 5th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Bigtymer wrote:
LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:

Wait, SGA is about 7.5 (give or take a few tenths of a mile due to wear, which extends the trail's length) along with maybe 7 miles from the ski area, plus the three miles in between, where did you get twenty?:) Are you including the new trail off Meyer's that Cramer designed as well? Sounds great though, I can't wait to come home and visit the new trail loop with both the Ski Area and SGA. Word!

Game area is getting closer to 8, ski area is about 6 so that's about 14. Then add the 3 mile connector twice (there and back) and that gets you to roughly 20.
cramer

Postby TooFast46 » May 5th, 2012, 11:01 pm

Using my wheel mounted speedo I clocked out the following: 17.2 miles total for Ski Area + SGA. I know the Ski Area is 5.9 (parking lot and back) and I'm pretty sure the connector trail is .7mi one way. Not sure how the rest works out being my first time riding SGA, but I have checked my speedo on a road ride vs google maps to be within a tenth of a mile.
TooFast46

Postby cramer » May 5th, 2012, 11:08 pm

TooFast46 wrote:Using my wheel mounted speedo I clocked out the following: 17.2 miles total for Ski Area + SGA. I know the Ski Area is 5.9 (parking lot and back) and I'm pretty sure the connector trail is .7mi one way. Not sure how the rest works out being my first time riding SGA, but I have checked my speedo on a road ride vs google maps to be within a tenth of a mile.

As they say, one measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions! 17.2 it is!

Always thought it was 19-20 when riding both but I just realized that's starting and finishing from my house.
cramer

Postby Bigtymer » May 6th, 2012, 8:45 am

Thanks fellas, I can't wait to ride the new connector with SGA/Ski Area and all the new trails you guys are building in West Michigan. I'm so impressed with new trail builds. The IMBA is a great resource to have and the MMBA has taken advantage of that these last few years. I can't wait to see the improvements to Owasippee as well. You guys rock! :!:
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions