Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby RickPlite » April 5th, 2012, 9:50 am

yamaha13 wrote:Ski area is in great shape and with the new section in the skills area the course is now 6 miles.

how are the leaves?
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby yamaha13 » April 5th, 2012, 7:36 pm

There are a lot of leaves on the back side and they are slick. I was hoping we could have some people get out with rakes, leaf blowers and pruners on the back area soon
yamaha13

Postby cramer » April 17th, 2012, 6:09 am

Several trees down after the storm last night. We were able to move 4 of them so we dumbed the trail down to the same condition as yesterday, before the wind storm. One was too big to move though, needs a chainsaw. It's along the bench cut just before the really steep climb.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » April 19th, 2012, 9:37 am

cramer wrote:One was too big to move though, needs a chainsaw. It's along the bench cut just before the really steep climb.

I rode the ski area yesterday late afternoon and the tree described above has been removed. Still a lot of small sticks and branches on the trail. I kicked off as many as I could. The trail down to the creek has a pretty muddy section (right next to the creek) so it might be best to avoid this area for a few days (or more with the 1"+ of rain that is forecasted tonight and tomorrow). Other than that, the trail is in great shape!
Mike_D

Postby cramer » April 19th, 2012, 1:13 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
cramer wrote:One was too big to move though, needs a chainsaw. It's along the bench cut just before the really steep climb.

I rode the ski area yesterday late afternoon and the tree described above has been removed. Still a lot of small sticks and branches on the trail. I kicked off as many as I could. The trail down to the creek has a pretty muddy section (right next to the creek) so it might be best to avoid this area for a few days (or more with the 1"+ of rain that is forecasted tonight and tomorrow). Other than that, the trail is in great shape!

Nice running into you guys last night and even nicer that you guys interrupted your ride to spend a couple of hours building that new trail! Can't believe we finished it in one night. How wet did you get on the ride back?

Since nobody posted it up yet- for anyone that's interested, a new route has been added around the back of the ski hills to connect the trail with Egypt Valley road. This will be a nice route to be used when combining the ski area and game area into one ride. It's a two way trail so be careful of oncoming bike traffic and also watch for car traffic where it connects to the road there. Trail will be soft for a while, and then bumpy I'm sure before it gets smoothed out eventually. It's nice that the folks at the ski area allowed this new route to be built.
cramer

Postby Mike_D » April 19th, 2012, 1:28 pm

cramer wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:

Nice running into you guys last night and even nicer that you guys interrupted your ride to spend a couple of hours building that new trail! Can't believe we finished it in one night. How wet did you get on the ride back?

Since nobody posted it up yet- for anyone that's interested, a new route has been added around the back of the ski hills to connect the trail with Egypt Valley road. This will be a nice route to be used when combining the ski area and game area into one ride. It's a two way trail so be careful of oncoming bike traffic and also watch for car traffic where it connects to the road there. Trail will be soft for a while, and then bumpy I'm sure before it gets smoothed out eventually. It's nice that the folks at the ski area allowed this new route to be built.

I had planned on heading up to Luton Park but did not want to just take off, leave you guys to have all the fun building new trail, and be labeled as "one of those guys" that rides right on by when there is trail work going on. For me, the reward was to be the 1st rider on the new trail :mrgreen:

Is there going to be some signage placed at the top of the hill where you would take a right to get back to the ski area parking lot or a left taking the connector trail to the game area or is it going to be just "take a guide along to show you the way"?
Mike_D

Postby gtrowbridge » April 19th, 2012, 1:32 pm

cramer wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:

Hooray!!!!
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby RickPlite » April 19th, 2012, 4:26 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
cramer wrote:
mntn-biker wrote:

I had planned on heading up to Luton Park but did not want to just take off, leave you guys to have all the fun building new trail, and be labeled as "one of those guys" that rides right on by when there is trail work going on. For me, the reward was to be the 1st rider on the new trail :mrgreen:

Is there going to be some signage placed at the top of the hill where you would take a right to get back to the ski area parking lot or a left taking the connector trail to the game area or is it going to be just "take a guide along to show you the way"?

We plan to sign it so people dont get mixed up or lost. Thanks for helping Mike
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby yamaha13 » April 19th, 2012, 10:52 pm

Signs were put up this afternoon and we will put up a couple more two way traffic signs tomorrow. Thanks for all who helped out
yamaha13

Postby John_H » April 21st, 2012, 11:05 am

Sounds like Cramer dumbing things down out there again :)
John_H

Postby Bigtymer » April 22nd, 2012, 8:15 am

I heard about the connector trail from SGA to the Ski area. I'm heading home this summer and I plan on riding. Can someone tell me how to conncect the two trails? Is the connection off of five mile road? Thank you:)
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

Postby Mike_D » April 22nd, 2012, 8:42 am

Bigtymer wrote:I heard about the connector trail from SGA to the Ski area. I'm heading home this summer and I plan on riding. Can someone tell me how to conncect the two trails? Is the connection off of five mile road? Thank you:)

It is off of Egypt Valley Rd between 5 mile and Cannonsburg Rd.
Mike_D

Postby cramer » April 22nd, 2012, 6:03 pm

John_H wrote:Sounds like Cramer dumbing things down out there again :)

:D Wasn't me, just lending a hand same as you. The new trail is dumbed down compared to Cannonsburg road where you had to dodge texting teens.
cramer

Postby cramer » May 1st, 2012, 7:40 am

Someone's been busy out there! Trail was in great shape last night, thanks for maintaining it. New connector trail is really cool. I was thinking of it in terms of utility and was surprised to find it's also some of the most fun trail out there. It's surprisingly worn in and packed down pretty good already too.
cramer

Postby TooFast46 » May 1st, 2012, 8:58 pm

+1 That is a fun little segment- good addition to the normal loop to change it up.

On another note, I haven't ridden SGA before and I would like to try it. How much farther down the road is the SGA trail?
TooFast46

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions