Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby cramer » August 14th, 2012, 9:24 pm

trout_smith wrote:
RickPlite wrote:
trout_smith wrote:I always go up the big climb at the start of this trail. Lately, I have noticed a sign that says "MTB Trail" pointing left before the climb. If someone goes this driection, aren't they just bypassing about a mile of sweet trail?

Is this just left over from the State Games race course, or is there another explanation?

the TC's out there prefer to take that route so they can get warmed up. After they finish the loop then they take that climb and exit near the creek trail, turn left and head back to the lodge. They don't miss a thing this way.

Huh, I must be missing something, I'll have to do some exploring next time I'm out there. When I go left at the start, I just go straight up the two track to the creek trail, turn around and go back down. It sounds like there is another loop I'm missing somewhere off to the left before this, huh?

No you're doing it right. Just start riding the creek trail and ride the rest of the trail as you normally do. Then when you're done and come down the hill, turn right and go up that first climb the way you normally start the trail. After you finish the long downhill run and the log crossing you get to the creek and just turn left there and follow that back out the way you started. All you're doing is starting and ending in the middle instead of where you normally start, everything else is the same.
cramer

Postby trout_smith » August 14th, 2012, 10:14 pm

cramer wrote:
trout_smith wrote:
RickPlite wrote:
trout_smith wrote:I always go up the big climb at the start of this trail. Lately, I have noticed a sign that says "MTB Trail" pointing left before the climb. If someone goes this driection, aren't they just bypassing about a mile of sweet trail?

Is this just left over from the State Games race course, or is there another explanation?

the TC's out there prefer to take that route so they can get warmed up. After they finish the loop then they take that climb and exit near the creek trail, turn left and head back to the lodge. They don't miss a thing this way.

Huh, I must be missing something, I'll have to do some exploring next time I'm out there. When I go left at the start, I just go straight up the two track to the creek trail, turn around and go back down. It sounds like there is another loop I'm missing somewhere off to the left before this, huh?

No you're doing it right. Just start riding the creek trail and ride the rest of the trail as you normally do. Then when you're done and come down the hill, turn right and go up that first climb the way you normally start the trail. After you finish the long downhill run and the log crossing you get to the creek and just turn left there and follow that back out the way you started. All you're doing is starting and ending in the middle instead of where you normally start, everything else is the same.

Thanks - I'm a little slow! That makes sense, to avoid the lungbuster climb right out of the gate. I'll ride it that way next time. Cheers!
http://www.mtb4u.com

The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby RickPlite » August 15th, 2012, 7:34 am

trout_smith wrote:
RickPlite wrote:

no other loops. just go into the creek trail first, ride the trail as normal from there. when you exit at the skills area turn right and do the big climb and then exit at the two track by the creek trail
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby Mike_D » August 15th, 2012, 11:34 pm

2 large trees down on the uphill 2 track just past the "million dollar view" and before the turn up to Plite's Peak.
Mike_D

Postby Slimm » August 25th, 2012, 8:11 pm

tree down right before the top of plites peak
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby cramer » September 25th, 2012, 1:24 pm

Three of the deck planks have cracked on one of the bridges over the soft spots along the creek. Still OK to ride but going to need some attention soon.
cramer

Postby msmith » October 16th, 2012, 6:46 pm

As of Monday night there were 3 trees down. 1 is near the down hill trail crossing just before "The Wall" hill. The other 2 are on the fast downhill 2 track after "Plites Peak" (same 2 track as "Up The Gut", just a bit further up the 2 track).
msmith

Postby yamaha13 » November 7th, 2012, 8:26 am

Just want everyone to know that we have permission to ride the ski area this winter but we must follow the rules; We can access the trail by way of the connector trail off of Egypt Valley road. There is a small parking lot there. Or you may park at the ski area and ride your bike to the connector or through Bear Creek. Whatever you do, DO NOT try and ride to the trails crossing the base of the ski hills. The owner of Cannonsburg has been very supportive of WMMBA's wishes so lets please follow the rules. With all the heavy tree cover we should have some great winter riding there! Thanks, Bill and Todd
yamaha13

Postby gtrowbridge » November 7th, 2012, 11:16 am

This is awesome. More room for fat bikes.

yamaha13 wrote:...We can access the trail by way of the connector trail off of Egypt Valley road. There is a small parking lot there. ...

Is this new? I don't remember one being there the last time I used the connector (which...ahem...was a while ago).

yamaha13 wrote:...Or you may park at the ski area and ride your bike to the connector or through Bear Creek ...

Don't I have to ride the trails at the base of the hills to get to the connector from the ski area? Bear Creek? :?
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby John_H » November 7th, 2012, 11:36 am

The small parking lot is actually a state game area one. On Egypt Valley Rd, just north of the connector on the west side of the road. Probably only holds 4 vehicles. You don't ride by it when use the connector, since game area trail is south.
John_H

Postby Mike_D » November 7th, 2012, 11:59 am

John_H wrote:The small parking lot is actually a state game area one. On Egypt Valley Rd, just north of the connector on the west side of the road. Probably only holds 4 vehicles. You don't ride by it when use the connector, since game area trail is south.

Click on this link, switch to "Satellite" view, and zoom in and you will actually see the connector trail just south of the "Blue Dot" which is the parking lot. If you go to "Street View", you will actually see the parking lot directly across the street from that driveway.

http://goo.gl/maps/6uT1f
Mike_D

Postby gtrowbridge » November 7th, 2012, 1:50 pm

mntn-biker wrote:
John_H wrote:The small parking lot is actually a state game area one. On Egypt Valley Rd, just north of the connector on the west side of the road. Probably only holds 4 vehicles. You don't ride by it when use the connector, since game area trail is south.

Click on this link, switch to "Satellite" view, and zoom in and you will actually see the connector trail just south of the "Blue Dot" which is the parking lot. If you go to "Street View", you will actually see the parking lot directly across the street from that driveway.

http://goo.gl/maps/6uT1f

See's it now. Weird didn't think that area was part of SGA. Very disconnected (according to the google map).

Nice to zoom in and have it all turn to summer (sigh).
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby cramer » November 7th, 2012, 3:26 pm

gtrowbridge wrote:Don't I have to ride the trails at the base of the hills to get to the connector from the ski area? Bear Creek? :?

He means that you could park at the ski area, then ride your bike out the driveway north to Cannonsburg road, then take Egypt Valley road to the connector to access the trail. Kind of a round about way of doing things but it gives you access to the parking lot and allows you to get to the trails without riding the base of the ski area.

I think it's great that they're allowing us to ride there year round now. They've been great friends of mountain biking for many years now by hosting events and races and allowing the trail system to be expanded. Last I checked they had some good beer and food in that Cedar Lounge upstairs during the ski season so that might be a good place to warm up after a nice cold ride this winter.
cramer

Postby gtrowbridge » November 7th, 2012, 3:32 pm

cramer wrote:
gtrowbridge wrote:Don't I have to ride the trails at the base of the hills to get to the connector from the ski area? Bear Creek? :?

He means that you could park at the ski area, then ride your bike out the driveway north to Cannonsburg road, then take Egypt Valley road to the connector to access the trail. Kind of a round about way of doing things but it gives you access to the parking lot and allows you to get to the trails without riding the base of the ski area.

I think it's great that they're allowing us to ride there year round now. They've been great friends of mountain biking for many years now by hosting events and races and allowing the trail system to be expanded. Last I checked they had some good beer and food in that Cedar Lounge upstairs during the ski season so that might be a good place to warm up after a nice cold ride this winter.

:icon_cheers:
Ah I got it. Yeah how fun would it be to bring the fat tire bikes there and see the looks on the skier's faces? Hanging in the lounge after the ride....that's just bonus. :drunken_smilie1:
gtrowbridge

Postby Bigtymer » November 15th, 2012, 8:06 am

gtrowbridge wrote:
cramer wrote:

:icon_cheers:
Ah I got it. Yeah how fun would it be to bring the fat tire bikes there and see the looks on the skier's faces? Hanging in the lounge after the ride....that's just bonus. :drunken_smilie1:

Wow, that's awesome guys. Have fun, I miss the MI trail once in awhile:(
Bigtymer
Bigtymer

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments