Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby Mark H. » September 4th, 2011, 10:15 am

Removing all those trees must of made the land owner & loggers lots of $$ but it made a mess out of the trails & woods, thats probable why the (wall) is all sand & hard to get up.
Mark H.

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 4th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Mark H. wrote:Removing all those trees must of made the land owner & loggers lots of $$ but it made a mess out of the trails & woods, thats probable why the (wall) is all sand & hard to get up.

Like i previously stated its not all sand I had no problem. If u stay seated and know what ur doing its just another fun hill. 8)
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Go_Green » September 4th, 2011, 9:46 pm

I believe logging 'flattened' the wall a little. It's coming close to re-route time for that hill, but hopefully we can maintain a good climb in that area.
Go_Green

Postby ignition16 » September 5th, 2011, 4:49 pm

I was looking at that last time I was there. That hill is in terrible shape and is only getting worse. It looks like you could take the hill around to the left a little and still have a fairly steep climb, but perhaps a more sustainable one...
ignition16

Postby kms662 » September 6th, 2011, 10:38 am

Rode Monday and the trail was clear, dry and fast...except for "the wall". That hill was so dry and loose I couldn't pedal up it (and usually I can).
kms662

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 6th, 2011, 6:35 pm

Please dont dumb down that small hill because u all have problems making it up. No offense, I dont know your skill levels. I did three laps saturday and made it up no problem all three times. U have to pick the right line, stay seated, and use ur momentum and its just another hill. :)
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby Mark H. » September 7th, 2011, 7:50 am

FYI
There is a Healing Fields flag event going on starting today @ the ski hill. A flag will be placed for each person killed on 911 over 3000. The flag placement is starting today with the event over the weekend, then removal on Monday & Tuesday & each flag will be removed, folded & stored. So there will be more traffic there for the viewing & it is open to the public.
Mark H.

Postby RickPlite » September 7th, 2011, 9:07 am

Mark H. wrote:FYI
There is a Healing Fields flag event going on starting today @ the ski hill. A flag will be placed for each person killed on 911 over 3000. The flag placement is starting today with the event over the weekend, then removal on Monday & Tuesday & each flag will be removed, folded & stored. So there will be more traffic there for the viewing & it is open to the public.

Mark-you beat me to it. I would recommend riders avoid the area for riding with all due respect to the ceremonies and victims. The owners may close the trailhead as well anyway
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby McGurk » September 10th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Trail closed for ceremonies. Go see it. As a staff ski instructor there I am very proud of Cburg for what they're doing to honor 9/11. The new owners are great.
McGurk

Postby kms662 » September 15th, 2011, 7:26 am

Tree down (near BW-2 on the online trail map) but not blocking. It's at the end of a fast sweeping left turn after a lengthy downhill section and the amount of leaves make it appear the tree is blocking.
kms662

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » September 17th, 2011, 6:15 pm

Trail is sandy :roll: and getting pretty tore up in spots but still ridable. :)
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 20th, 2011, 5:52 pm

I went out today, it was a little wet but no standing water. There are 2 trees down; both are in the 3rd section (one is right at the end of the 3rd section) located @ ~3.1 and ~4.3 miles. A chainsaw will be needed unless you're really strong... or a woodpecker?
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby cramer » September 20th, 2011, 6:43 pm

LuckyCharm4x4 wrote:I went out today, it was a little wet but no standing water. There are 2 trees down; both are in the 3rd section (one is right at the end of the 3rd section) located @ ~3.1 and ~4.3 miles. A chainsaw will be needed unless you're really strong... or a woodpecker?

I'm tempted to go cut these out, can you get me some more details on where they are? Any reference point would be handy. There are shortcuts I can take to go directly to them if I know exactly where they are, otherwise it's a long walk with a chainsaw.
cramer

Postby LuckyCharm4x4 » September 20th, 2011, 7:18 pm

My best guesses would be here. I could be WAY off. I do remember that one was right before the top of the hill that I think of as a rest stop. The second was right before a connector trail. I could be close, but you're guess is better than mine. I know they were after the house.

Sorry that I couldn't be more precise.
LuckyCharm4x4

Postby John_H » September 20th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Anyone up for a night ride Wednesday? 8:30 start - I'm flexible on time. Get the riding in while we can before deer season.
John_H

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions