Western: Cannonsburg Ski Area

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby Gripshift » October 1st, 2004, 9:27 am

I got my first ride at Cannonsburg Ski yesterday, and it looks like a great place to work on hills and sand. Ah nine laps of this and you're at the Iceman. Great Iceman training course. :D

Gripshift
Bikes are great! http://bmxmuseum.com/
Gripshift

Postby Scotty » November 1st, 2004, 8:22 am

The Ski Area is in good condition (10/30) Rode it this evening and removed a lot of small trees and dead wood that had blown down during the high winds. All the leaves are helping to firm up the sandy sections.
Scotty

Cannonsburg is closed

Postby jeffskio » November 21st, 2004, 12:31 am

Cannonsburg is closed now for some reason. went today and some workers said the trail is closed, didn't see small sign.
jeffskio

Postby John_H » November 21st, 2004, 6:28 am

Probably because they let some pople hunt deer on the property. I remember that happening in the past. Otherwise, it may be because they are doing a lot of work around the place to get it ready for ski season. I couple weeks ago I noticed they were doing a lot of trenching work for laying new water or power lines. You could come flying down the ski hill and come over a trench before you knew it.
John_H

Postby Mike_D » November 21st, 2004, 9:39 pm

I rode the ski area on Sunday morning around 11am. There were a bunch of workers outside of the first aid building in a meeting or something but I rode right by and nobody said anything thing to me even as I carried my bike across the blue color rope at the bridge (with the sign that said employees only) :?

So, is it closed or not? Until somebody there stops me or I see a sign that says the trail is closed, I will continue to ride there.

BTW, the trail condition is awesome. The recent rain along with the leaves has tamed down the sand a bit.
Mike_D

Cannonsburg Ski

Postby Ride_01 » December 12th, 2004, 4:40 pm

Rode it yesterday and today. It's in good shape. Fun Promotions changes it every time they race there. I haven't been there in a while but I finally got the route figured out. Kind of a bummer, now climb up and over what used to be a nice downhill jump. In my own mind, I used to do some awesome tailwhips off that thing (In reality, I probably never got both wheels off the ground simultaneously).

I was out there during gun season a few times. The first couple times I heard but never saw hunters. The last time, I was booted from the parking lot by a hunter and his two kids. They said the trail was closed and I was willing to let them have it. The guy maintained his cool, but he was literally vibrating upset that we were there to ride. I didn't want to have him go wining to the owner. It’s the only no cost ride really close to GR when Cannonsburg Game is closed and I don’t want to jeopardize that.
ride stuff
Ride_01

Postby yukonjack » December 31st, 2004, 11:53 am

Rode Ski area today(12/31/04).
OK once you get past bottom of ski hill.
On the way in an employee warned me of a few puddles at base of slope.
On the way out another employee told me the trail is closed until spring. I replied that it kind of felt like spring today. Not even a smile from this guy.
Oops. I said I was sorry I had no idea it was closed. He said a second visit would result in the police and a citation for trespassing. He kept saying "they" won't warn again. Kind of made me wonder who "they"really are. Does anyone know who the private owner is?
I had checked this site before I left to ride and it shows open. Does anyone know how to change the trail status? :cry:
yukonjack

Postby Return of Crispy Creme » December 31st, 2004, 3:34 pm

yukonjack wrote:Rode Ski area today(12/31/04).
On the way out another employee told me the trail is closed until spring. I replied that it kind of felt like spring today. Not even a smile from this guy.
Oops. I said I was sorry I had no idea it was closed. He said a second visit would result in the police and a citation for trespassing. He kept saying "they" won't warn again. Kind of made me wonder who "they"really are. Does anyone know who the private owner is?
I had checked this site before I left to ride and it shows open. Does anyone know how to change the trail status? :cry:

I changed it to closed for you. To do that all you have to do is go to the trail guide, go to the trail you want, and look for the area where you can mark it closed.
"One minute, it's all fun and games, the next, you're blowing on a straw to signal your nurse." FrankenFuel 12/09/07
Return of Crispy Creme

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » December 31st, 2004, 3:37 pm

Kevin_Callahan wrote:
yukonjack wrote:Rode Ski area today(12/31/04).

I changed it to closed for you. To do that all you have to do is go to the trail guide, go to the trail you want, and look for the area where you can mark it closed.

It also helps if you have "moderator" status. Your average Jack can't go in and update trail status.... :wink:
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

Postby Return of Crispy Creme » December 31st, 2004, 3:38 pm

Ah...10-4
"One minute, it's all fun and games, the next, you're blowing on a straw to signal your nurse." FrankenFuel 12/09/07
Return of Crispy Creme

Postby John_H » January 1st, 2005, 9:21 am

Over the years typically Cannonsburg ski area is closed to riding while the skiing is open. The lifts were actually running on the 31st. Probably because of the equipment they are using - lots of snow making equipment and grooming equipment moving around from time to time.
John_H

Getting Up

Postby AustinKHS » April 17th, 2005, 4:57 pm

$h&@ *!=$%##&@ ^ *(&^ %!$# / .>?</ &**&^&#@$ %^)#%!!!!

I was at connonsburg ski area today and realized I should have asked about this before I went! My question is... can anoyone tell me an easy/easier way to get up the slope? We went over to the right-most slope(if you are looking at the face of the hill from the entrance) and rode up halfway but couldnt make it. It was a pain in the *beep*, literally :)
It was bad *beep* going down but was not worth going all the way back up the hill for. I'm hoping someone will reply and say that there is a road that you can take up to the top in you vehicle, but i have a feeling its not going to be that easy :(

Thanks, Austin
AustinKHS

Re: Getting Up

Postby Mike_D » April 17th, 2005, 8:16 pm

Austinkhs wrote:$h&@ *!=$%##&@ ^ *(&^ %!$# / .>?</ &**&^&#@$ %^)#%!!!!

I was at connonsburg ski area today and realized I should have asked about this before I went! My question is... can anoyone tell me an easy/easier way to get up the slope? We went over to the right-most slope(if you are looking at the face of the hill from the entrance) and rode up halfway but couldnt make it. It was a pain in the *beep*, literally :)
It was bad *beep* going down but was not worth going all the way back up the hill for. I'm hoping someone will reply and say that there is a road that you can take up to the top in you vehicle, but i have a feeling its not going to be that easy :(

Thanks, Austin

Typically we stay off the slopes or at least the ones at the center and to the right. Usually once you cross the bridge, keep left (don't follow far left 2 track or you'll miss some killer uphill) and head up the 2 track although now there is a new single track up to the top of the hill where you hook up with other singletrack at the top of that hill where you'll make another left. I've heard some re-routing was done recently to make the trails flow better.

Have fun and save the grassy slopes for the outdoor concerts the ski area holds in the summer :D
Mike_D

Postby Gripshift » October 12th, 2005, 8:04 am

Trail was in great shape, gotta love that ride down the ski hill after everylap. :D
Bikes are great! http://bmxmuseum.com/
Gripshift

Cannonsburg Ski Area

Postby John_H » November 19th, 2005, 10:36 am

The Cannonsburg Ski Area has been making snow the last few days. They usually don't let people ride once they get into making snow.
John_H

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments