MCMBA: Milford

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Milford

Postby ihateplaindave » April 5th, 2013, 8:23 am

"How does this trail compare to Maybury and Tree Farm? (As far as difficulty goes) I would normally go to Maybury but everything Ive heard is that the trail is still too wet to be ridden."

If she can ride Maybury and Tree Farm, she'll be fine aT Milford.
ihateplaindave

Postby guidobri » April 5th, 2013, 8:26 am

Perfect. Thanks.
RIDE GIANTS
guidobri

Postby Builder-Bill » April 5th, 2013, 8:34 am

I'm Glad everyone likes the new section,..Its a little flat for me.. :) Based on my wheel sensor I get 6.1 to 6.2 miles, adding in the Free Ride area.
I'm looking at a few more areas to add trail... next year. Maybe 7 miles. :lol:

Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Milford TC
Proud Lake TC
Builder-Bill

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 5th, 2013, 8:52 am

Builder-Bill wrote:I'm Glad everyone likes the new section,..Its a little flat for me.. :) Based on my wheel sensor I get 6.1 to 6.2 miles, adding in the Free Ride area.
I'm looking at a few more areas to add trail... next year. Maybe 7 miles. :lol:

Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Milford TC
Proud Lake TC

This was my first time out there, and I loved it! Where is the free ride area? We rode the whole loop, and popped out by the softball fields after making the right following the bridge. (Keep in mind I'm not that familiar.)
CraveSingletrack

Postby ibisman » April 5th, 2013, 9:54 am

Nice job builder-bill!
Martyrs or marines
who do you think gets
the virgins?
USMC 1968-1972
30,551.5 total miles since 2002
Miles for 2014--1028---miles for 2013... 1770.25 miles. 0 road miles
all on teenie, tiny, normal sized wheels
ibisman

Postby iamkickstand » April 5th, 2013, 10:39 am

guidobri wrote:Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I am taking my wife who is yet to MTB and I wanted to make sure to start her off slow. How does this trail compare to Maybury and Tree Farm? (As far as difficulty goes) I would normally go to Maybury but everything Ive heard is that the trail is still too wet to be ridden. Thanks in advance.

she'll be fine.
iamkickstand

Postby iamkickstand » April 5th, 2013, 10:41 am

vette-ss wrote:
iamkickstand wrote:strava told me 6.2 miles. Got it done 6 minutes faster tonight compared to last night.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself but you borrowed my buddies pump and I was looking for the torx driver.

Trail was MUCH drier tonight, today made a huge difference. It was nearly perfect tonight.

Actually I think that was another guy. He followed me back to use my pump and it wasn't working for him so he got yours. But I figured out who you were after my wife told me. I'm the one that thought I had a T10 but didn't.

Not sure what to think of your Strava. GPS usually subtracts distance if it is off. Although look at your mapping. Last year on one of my rides I had poor phone signal and it had me riding across the golf course and through the pond. Anyway, on one bike I had laps of 5.78 mi and 5.85 mi. My wife's bike said 5.91 mi. So by wheel sensor I'm seeing 5.8-5.9 mi. Your mileage may vary.....

Edit: Forgot to add that when I come up to the ball fields, I just go straight back to the parking lot through the field. I see several cuts back down to the trail and wondered if I was supposed to take the trail back. I've had people coming at me the wrong way in that first section before.

Not too concerned on mileage, but it looks like there was a solid half mile or mile added based on last years count...so I figure starting the season at the same minutes but with additional distance is good.

I too take the ball fields right back to the lot....we had a guy coming at us just like you explained last night. Yeah, mtbfree ended up riding the trail pretty much without a rear brake, the bleeder screw was leaking just enough....

Anyway nice meeting you guys and hope you enjoyed your ride.
iamkickstand

Postby eatworksleepdie » April 5th, 2013, 12:49 pm

kyleRIG29er wrote:Where is the free ride area?...

if it's the same section I'm thinking about, it's around the half way point, you'll see a not-so-marked trail that veers off to the right from the main trail. kinda by the golf course. there's a fun section where you can ride on some broken concrete etc. it's fun, but be careful! I tried bombing through it once and went off the side. luckily came out unharmed. :D
Some see things as they are & ask why... Some dream of things that never were & ask why not?!
Racing Greyhounds
eatworksleepdie

Postby BForhan » April 6th, 2013, 7:18 am

Rode the trail yesterday with a friend and his fiance, trail was good the new section is a real nice addition. On our second lap, after the second to last or the last trail crossing where the rocks are in the trail someone had knocked out a head sized rock and it was off to the side. I have never seen this trail with so many ridders as I did yesterday.

Brian
BForhan

Postby AllMountin' » April 6th, 2013, 11:06 am

I'm glad this track was posted as an early open, or who knows how long it would have been till I rode it.

Excellent work Builder Bill! The use of terrain here is exemplary. Minimal braking into turns. The rider is rewarded for maintaining speed through the turns with momentum into the climbs. Not much straight trail. It's always climbing, dropping, and weaving the contour line.

If anyone has been skipping this trail(as I have) to ride the likes of Highland and PLRA, you are doing yourself a disservice. Those trails are great, but not reason to skip this one.

F.U.N.
--=Steve=--

Tom Robbins wrote:It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
AllMountin'

Postby Steve_Balogh » April 6th, 2013, 11:08 pm

Did two laps at Milford Saturday + the connector into Proud Lake. At the start it snowed and turned into a little sleet, but didn't amount to anything. After 1 lap went to Proud Lake then came back for a second lap, which was way drier than the first time. Proud Lake was a bit nasty with the deep hoof prints out there. Only did part of loop 4.
Steve_Balogh

Postby Dakota Kid » April 7th, 2013, 9:52 am

I must agree with Allmountin', Milford is a gem!
I too rode it for the first time on Friday afternoon. Not because it's too far from where I live or work, rather I just wasn't aware of it. So thanks to this board and trail map, and especially builder Bill, I now have another great trail to add to my rotation :D

In fact, I was so excited to ride the trail, I forgot to put my helmet on :shock:
I had bought a new skull cap, and it was pretty snug when I put it on. Lowered the air pressure in my tires from the higher paved road setting. Then just jumped on and hit the trail. It wasn't til 3/4 of the way through the trail that I realized I didn't have my helmet on. That was a strange feeling for sure, especially with it being a new trail to me. Made sure to put it on for the second lap 8)
Near the end of second lap, I was passed by another rider who I chatted with briefly in the parking lot, before he started his second lap. He works at the Proving Grounds, so if you're on here, it was nice meeting you.

Brett
Dakota Kid

Postby BForhan » April 7th, 2013, 10:39 am

I think I saw you it was white, was wondering about the no helmet. I was standing by the Dark Blue Super Duty waiting for my friends to show up.

Brian
BForhan

Postby Dakota Kid » April 7th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Brian, yeah that was me getting my helmet from the back of my red GMC :D

Went back out today for a couple more laps. Highlight was meeting builder Bill. He was out with his trail dog Sam, repairing a couple spots. Kept seeing him throughout the trail, stopping each time for some more conversation. Ended up seeing him at the end by the ballfields and chatted some as I walked the bike back to the lot with him. We are very fortunate to have such fine individuals as Bill, volunteering so much of their time so the rest of us are able to enjoy our passions. Tip my mtb helmet to you, Builder Bill (and Sam too :mrgreen: ) !

Brett
Dakota Kid

Postby BForhan » April 8th, 2013, 3:50 am

I have never seen him in all my times there, but I do think I and many others owe him a burger and beer for this work of art he has built.

Brian
BForhan

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments