MCMBA: Milford

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Milford

Postby jbolenbaugh » April 2nd, 2013, 8:47 pm

Rode it tonight. Couple muddy spots but the trail looks great. new section should be really nice once it settles in. Any plans for a work session / trail maintenance this spring? I would love to help out with the trail since I love riding it so much!
Team : Wheels In Motion
Great Quotes
"I really love my 29er cannondale single speed, but now that strava exists and I live next to ILRA i'm going to need some gears to look better"
"Quote Redacted" -Racing Greyhounds member
jbolenbaugh

Postby iamkickstand » April 3rd, 2013, 5:09 pm

Just rode milford, would venture to say that the first half could use a little drying out in a few spots, second half was perfect.

Anyone know how much longer the trail is with the new sections? Trying to get an idea of my cardio level compared to last year as milford is always the first ride of the season for me.

Thanks
iamkickstand

Postby vette-ss » April 4th, 2013, 8:09 am

Wife and I plan to ride this evening. We both have computers. I'll let you know what we get.
vette-ss

Postby iamkickstand » April 4th, 2013, 8:32 am

vette-ss wrote:Wife and I plan to ride this evening. We both have computers. I'll let you know what we get.

Thanks. I'll be there again tonight with a friend and my fiance.
iamkickstand

Postby jbolenbaugh » April 4th, 2013, 8:53 am

I had it at 5.4 this week and 4.9 from last year. So about a half a mile longer? I'm sure Bill can tell you more accurately. I like the new stuff.
Great Quotes
"I really love my 29er cannondale single speed, but now that strava exists and I live next to ILRA i'm going to need some gears to look better"
jbolenbaugh

Postby iamkickstand » April 4th, 2013, 9:06 am

me too! It actually made the trail feel more flowy and less twisty. I think it really improved the trail quite nicely.
iamkickstand

Postby vette-ss » April 4th, 2013, 9:41 am

iamkickstand wrote:
vette-ss wrote:Wife and I plan to ride this evening. We both have computers. I'll let you know what we get.

Thanks. I'll be there again tonight with a friend and my fiance.

I'll be on a carbon Stumpy and my wife is on a white Safire. I'm going to try to get a lap in before she gets there. First ride since last fall....I'll probably be huffing. FWIW, I was getting 5.7-5.8 miles around last year. My experience at Milford is that GPS is useless because its too twisty.
vette-ss

Postby jbolenbaugh » April 4th, 2013, 9:46 am

Mine is based off a wheel speed sensor so it should be a bit more accurate.
Great Quotes
jbolenbaugh

Postby iamkickstand » April 4th, 2013, 10:12 am

I was mostly curious to compare my difference in times from this year to last. I don't usually time my rides, and obviously the conditions change, but I was curious as to why it took me an extra 6 minutes :mrgreen:

I'll be on a black and red trek fuel, my buddy will be on a chameleon and my fiance will be on a bright orange specialized.
iamkickstand

Postby vette-ss » April 4th, 2013, 10:29 am

jbolenbaugh wrote:Mine is based off a wheel speed sensor so it should be a bit more accurate.

Mine is too, off of two different bikes. GPS always cuts distance, not add. I usually run an iphone app while I ride just to see how it compares to wheel sensor. Of all the trails I ride, Milford seems to be the worst. I'll see what I get tonight.
vette-ss

Postby mwilson7 » April 4th, 2013, 7:05 pm

Just got back from my first ride of the year on the Milford Trail:

- First off I have NEVER seen so many cars in the parking lot with bike racks on the back. If you are a local you would have thought a baseball game was happening.

- The trail is in great shape with a couple of small slick spots. It will be completely dry by Saturday for sure but its totally rideable!

- Bill - I really like the new area that you put in on the new area. I was biking with a few of my friends who hadn't been on the trail since last summer and they can't believe how much has been added. You continue to find space in the woods and expand the trail without feeling like you are continually back tracking. Keep up the great work and let us know if you need any help on the trail.
Last edited by mwilson7 on April 5th, 2013, 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby iamkickstand » April 4th, 2013, 7:32 pm

strava told me 6.2 miles. Got it done 6 minutes faster tonight compared to last night.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself but you borrowed my buddies pump and I was looking for the torx driver.

Trail was MUCH drier tonight, today made a huge difference. It was nearly perfect tonight.
iamkickstand

Postby CraveSingletrack » April 5th, 2013, 7:31 am

I was out there last night too, great trail packed in a small space! It was my gf's first ride of the year so we were just cruising, but she loved it as well. The section along the ponds with the rollers and bridges is pretty cool!
I'm a racerboy.
CraveSingletrack

Postby guidobri » April 5th, 2013, 8:06 am

Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I am taking my wife who is yet to MTB and I wanted to make sure to start her off slow. How does this trail compare to Maybury and Tree Farm? (As far as difficulty goes) I would normally go to Maybury but everything Ive heard is that the trail is still too wet to be ridden. Thanks in advance.
RIDE GIANTS
guidobri

Postby vette-ss » April 5th, 2013, 8:07 am

iamkickstand wrote:strava told me 6.2 miles. Got it done 6 minutes faster tonight compared to last night.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself but you borrowed my buddies pump and I was looking for the torx driver.

Trail was MUCH drier tonight, today made a huge difference. It was nearly perfect tonight.

Actually I think that was another guy. He followed me back to use my pump and it wasn't working for him so he got yours. But I figured out who you were after my wife told me. I'm the one that thought I had a T10 but didn't.

Not sure what to think of your Strava. GPS usually subtracts distance if it is off. Although look at your mapping. Last year on one of my rides I had poor phone signal and it had me riding across the golf course and through the pond. Anyway, on one bike I had laps of 5.78 mi and 5.85 mi. My wife's bike said 5.91 mi. So by wheel sensor I'm seeing 5.8-5.9 mi. Your mileage may vary.....

Edit: Forgot to add that when I come up to the ball fields, I just go straight back to the parking lot through the field. I see several cuts back down to the trail and wondered if I was supposed to take the trail back. I've had people coming at me the wrong way in that first section before.
Last edited by vette-ss on April 5th, 2013, 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vette-ss

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments