CRAMBA: Ortonville

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby soccerjett » April 6th, 2008, 7:06 am

I live (sort of) near this area now. Are there actually MTB trails here? I see no one has posted on here in 2 years!
soccerjett

Postby Brandon Love » May 1st, 2008, 7:47 pm

I was wondering the same thing soccerjett. I've been out there hiking quite a bit but thought it was off limits to mountain bikes. If it's off limits to mountain bikes, why is it available in this trail guide?
Brandon Love

Postby AReed » September 9th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Rode it today and there are 2 trees down across the path.
AReed

Re: Holly/Flint: Ortonville

Postby Rock N' Rolla » May 6th, 2010, 8:41 am

no posts since 2008? is this trail dead... what are the conditions?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Brandon Love » May 6th, 2010, 11:54 am

I rode there a couple weeks ago on my CX bike. It was a good ride but certainly not a mountain bike trail like most others in SE Michigan (nice hard pack and maintained singletrack). There are several trails there and a decent length loop but they seem to get plenty more horse traffic than bike traffic. Much of it was very loosely packed sand with loose rocks, many leaves, and plenty of horse *beep* mixed in with it all. This place could rival PLRA, Highland, and Holdridge if we could cut some hike/bike traffic only, sustainable singletrack there. Maybe this would be possible in the future? Any MMBA trail advocacy folks around on this one?
Last edited by Brandon Love on May 6th, 2010, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon Love

Postby KRUG » May 6th, 2010, 12:56 pm

I live only a few miles from it but have not been there since 2001. Didn't find any thing interesting there so never went back. It sure would be nice to turn it into some mt. trails for us Ortonville folks.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby bikesatori » March 1st, 2011, 12:48 am

I think most of you have been missing the actual "mtb" trails out there, they are not at all connected to the Hadley Hills equestrian area, but instead more to the southwest extreme edge of that section of Ortonville Rec. Area which is accessible from a trailhead parking lot off of State Park road, which comes directly off one of those 90deg. turns you go through on Oakwood...
...unfortunately for us a much less interesting section of property, compared to the rest of the park, but hey, it's there.... for us.

Now that I'm back in the area I'd be up for some trail work. I have not been out there in quite awhile so really unsure of the condition, but now that I've got some uncontainable spring fever I may just head out there tomorrow just to hike around and take a look.
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby bikesatori » March 1st, 2011, 6:15 pm

well just got back from hiking out there at Bloomer #3.

I was actually quite amazed to see how much use this trail system has been seeing!!

I'm sure a baloon bike could have made it through there just fine today as is, but depending on how the weather shifts this week and the rain on thurs, I may try to head back out there with the single speed and some nokian hakka's this weekend!
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby bback01 » April 15th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Rode Bloomer #3 today, trail had two logs across it and two water puddles around marker 6. Other than that it was very rideable, if only it wasn't a half mile climb out of The paking lot. Gets the heart pumping, even if it is only 2.5 miles it feels tougher than some 15 mile trails I've been on.
bback01

Postby bikesatori » April 16th, 2011, 12:57 am

I thought it was ~3.5mi?

Unless this weekends forecast shows true, I may swing over there for a quick loop too.... maybe have the chainsaw in the truck with me as well...

Next time you plan on heading over there for a ride let me know, I wouldn't mind taking a loop with another of the few local riders!
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby bback01 » April 16th, 2011, 3:32 pm

bikesatori wrote:Imaybe have the chainsaw in the truck with me as well...

If you go out to remove some trees, one is about 3/4 mile in in the area where the trail runs right next to the field. And the other is at the top of the hill at the end of the trail right out of the parking lot.
bback01

Postby bikesatori » May 25th, 2011, 12:10 pm

just rode last night...

back grassy section on north side of loop has a bad swamped out section, basically have to portage your bike and wade a 40ft section over ankle deep. And that was before the rain and ?flood warnings? we got today. Other than that, the rest was in prime condition though.

Also, just after the ?swamp?, there is an extended downhill section where you can really carry some serious speed, and a big pine is down long ways on the trail. There is a little detour trail around it to the right, but, if you're really ripping down that hill it might catch you off guard.
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby Rock N' Rolla » June 9th, 2011, 1:15 pm

Hey anything new for this trail? I pass it on my way to Holdridge. is it worth stopping to check out? I know that there seems to be some horse traffic issues out there but was curious. Thanks :D
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Jim O » June 9th, 2011, 9:15 pm

There is no active trail maintenance at Ortonville. The trails can be fun before too much overgrowth takes over.

CHEERS!
Jim O

Postby Rock N' Rolla » June 10th, 2011, 6:45 am

thanx for the update dude! :D
Rock N' Rolla

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions