CRAMBA: Ortonville

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Postby brokenbones » April 19th, 2006, 10:28 am

there's a killer climb in either direction!

No doubt. I broke my chain on one of those climbs last year and had to walk all the way out to Hadley Road before my cell phone could get a signal.
'Bones
brokenbones

Postby DaBbLe » April 19th, 2006, 10:47 am

You are correct about the killer climbs. I just rode Fox Lake from Washburn over to Honert Monday with a couple other guys. It's alot more fun going the other way. We did basically the Rhino Back Forty Ride through that area. The road is pretty heavily rutted after the first climb from Washburn but not too bad after that. We were on cross bikes so the downhill onto Honert was a little sketchy. I would have been alot more comfortable on a mountain bike. I haven't been on the Holly hills section of the trails this year but Jay is correct in that they are primarily bridle paths. I rode through the Easterm portion of that trail last summer after ending up on Hegel(paved) when trying to explore new routes for the Back Forty ride. We headed south on Jasmond and climbed a guardrail to enter the horse trails. and rode them back to the staging area. The sections we rode were not good for bike riding. they were extremely rough, wide, soft and sandy from all the horse traffic. I never noticed any signs banning bikes but I was more interested in just getting back to Fox Lake road and off the trail.
"Never waste a Downhill"
DaBbLe

Postby KLydesdale » April 19th, 2006, 7:50 pm

DaBbLe wrote:.... I never noticed any signs banning bikes but I was more interested in just getting back to Fox Lake road and off the trail.

There doesn't have to be signs banning bikes for you to get in trouble. The way DNR rules for Parks and Rec Areas are written, if it's NOT a designated, signed bicycle trail, it's unlawful to ride a bicycle on it.

Check out R 299.927 paragraph (f) here: http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/ ... Poster.pdf
KLydesdale

Postby KLydesdale » April 19th, 2006, 7:52 pm

DaBbLe wrote:.... I never noticed any signs banning bikes but I was more interested in just getting back to Fox Lake road and off the trail.

There doesn't have to be signs banning bikes for you to get in trouble. The way DNR rules for Parks and Rec Areas are written, if it's not a designated bicycle trail with signs indicating such, it's unlawful to ride a bicycle on it.

Check out R 299.927 paragraph (f) here: http://www.midnr.com/publications/pdfs/ ... Poster.pdf
KLydesdale

Postby DaBbLe » April 20th, 2006, 9:22 am

You are correct Keith, I should have phrased my comment to read "I did not see any signs allowing Biking". However, just to be sure, I called the Rec area and talked to a very pleasant lady named Carol and was advised that these bridle trails are definately closed to mountain bikes. I personally do not enjoy riding through horse *beep* so I would not ride it even if it was allowed. The only reason I ended up on them at all was because I was really looking for the old Jasmond roadbed to cut through the rec area to get back to Fox Lake road. I have hiked the other trail off State Park rd. when I was a Boy Scout leader and it is not particularly exciting. I would ride it if in the area but there are better trails (Holdridge) around the area to ride.
"Never waste a Downhill"
DaBbLe

Postby KLydesdale » April 20th, 2006, 9:48 pm

DaBbLe wrote:You are correct Keith, I should have phrased my comment to read "I did not see any signs allowing Biking". However, just to be sure, I called the Rec area and talked to a very pleasant lady named Carol and was advised that these bridle trails are definately closed to mountain bikes. I personally do not enjoy riding through horse *beep* so I would not ride it even if it was allowed. The only reason I ended up on them at all was because I was really looking for the old Jasmond roadbed to cut through the rec area to get back to Fox Lake road. I have hiked the other trail off State Park rd. when I was a Boy Scout leader and it is not particularly exciting. I would ride it if in the area but there are better trails (Holdridge) around the area to ride.

I'm not trying to be pedantic here, Dave. I'm just trying to show that there's a reason why some of those trails aren't more well-known and widely-used by MTB'ers. Your comments above help illustrate why. As always, thanks for the discussion.

I tried to use Google Earth to see some the trails and other stuff (like the Jasmond roadbed) at Ortonville but there's not a high enough resolution of that area to make anything out. Too bad. In the images of other places like PLRA you can see the roads, parts of the trail and even individual trees and their shadows on the ground.
KLydesdale

Postby bikesatori » April 20th, 2006, 9:52 pm

It's quite unfortunate that prime real estate there couldn't be used for more mtb trails along with the equine section, but instead the mtb designated loop is pushed off to a hidden corner that has less elevation... the topography there has potential to rival any other trail system in southern Michigan if built and laid out properly!
...but I know the equestrian groups would never loosen their grip on the area enough for the dnr to even consider it...
Last edited by bikesatori on March 1st, 2011, 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby DaBbLe » April 21st, 2006, 9:21 am

Geez Keith, I had to look that word up... :D . You have to admit you have an eye for detail. The DNR/ Ortonville website listed the equestrian trail as "Trails may have other designated uses". That's why I called, to find out what the other uses were (Snowmobiling in the winter). I know what you mean about looking at satellite pictures, sometimes it's easy to find old features and other times it's not. the old Jasmond roadbed was easy to follow until it hit the equestrian trails but then it sort of disappeared. I have a road atlas(1991) that still shows Jasmond as a regular road that goes through the rec area. It also shows Maceday going all the way through PLRA.
It would be nice to have the resources and approvals to improve the trail at the bloomer#3 location. It looks like there is plenty of area to work with.
I wonder if there are any small hunter trails through the areas North and West of the existing trail. I bet connecting to Algoe Lake campground and then going further North above Fox Lake and West of Tody rd would create an outstanding trail system.
"Never waste a Downhill"
DaBbLe

Postby soccerjett » April 6th, 2008, 7:06 am

I live (sort of) near this area now. Are there actually MTB trails here? I see no one has posted on here in 2 years!
soccerjett

Postby Brandon Love » May 1st, 2008, 7:47 pm

I was wondering the same thing soccerjett. I've been out there hiking quite a bit but thought it was off limits to mountain bikes. If it's off limits to mountain bikes, why is it available in this trail guide?
Brandon Love

Postby AReed » September 9th, 2008, 8:43 pm

Rode it today and there are 2 trees down across the path.
AReed

Re: Holly/Flint: Ortonville

Postby Rock N' Rolla » May 6th, 2010, 8:41 am

no posts since 2008? is this trail dead... what are the conditions?
Rock N' Rolla

Postby Brandon Love » May 6th, 2010, 11:54 am

I rode there a couple weeks ago on my CX bike. It was a good ride but certainly not a mountain bike trail like most others in SE Michigan (nice hard pack and maintained singletrack). There are several trails there and a decent length loop but they seem to get plenty more horse traffic than bike traffic. Much of it was very loosely packed sand with loose rocks, many leaves, and plenty of horse *beep* mixed in with it all. This place could rival PLRA, Highland, and Holdridge if we could cut some hike/bike traffic only, sustainable singletrack there. Maybe this would be possible in the future? Any MMBA trail advocacy folks around on this one?
Last edited by Brandon Love on May 6th, 2010, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon Love

Postby KRUG » May 6th, 2010, 12:56 pm

I live only a few miles from it but have not been there since 2001. Didn't find any thing interesting there so never went back. It sure would be nice to turn it into some mt. trails for us Ortonville folks.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby bikesatori » March 1st, 2011, 12:48 am

I think most of you have been missing the actual "mtb" trails out there, they are not at all connected to the Hadley Hills equestrian area, but instead more to the southwest extreme edge of that section of Ortonville Rec. Area which is accessible from a trailhead parking lot off of State Park road, which comes directly off one of those 90deg. turns you go through on Oakwood...
...unfortunately for us a much less interesting section of property, compared to the rest of the park, but hey, it's there.... for us.

Now that I'm back in the area I'd be up for some trail work. I have not been out there in quite awhile so really unsure of the condition, but now that I've got some uncontainable spring fever I may just head out there tomorrow just to hike around and take a look.
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments