CRAMBA: Ortonville

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

CRAMBA: Ortonville

Postby Todd Scott » March 26th, 2006, 3:30 pm

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Ortonville State Recreation Area
Todd Scott

Ortonville Rec trail update

Postby Sofa King » April 11th, 2006, 11:52 am

Rode Ortonville last week, two wet spots but other then that it's in very good condition and totally ridable.
"Lose all the crap hanging off your bike!"

"Ride it like you stole it!"

Cycletherapy Racing
Sofa King

Re: Ortonville Rec trail update

Postby chris_werth » April 11th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Sofa King wrote:Rode Ortonville last week, two wet spots but other then that it's in very good condition and totally ridable.

Mr. Sofa King, please share with the rest of us where this secret trail system is in Ortonville.
chris_werth

Postby bikesatori » April 11th, 2006, 7:49 pm

there are several different trail systems within the Ortonville/Metamora Recreation Area. The main, and mostly ridden one is actually called Bloomer #3 I think... I can't quite remember the road name, it seems too obvious, but I think it is called State Park rd, it's dirt, and goes straight off of a corner going west on Oakwood road from M-24. There is another section from Sinroll/Connell Rd., another section on the west side of Hadley Rd on Fox Lake Rd (accross from Big Fish Lake), called the "Hadley Hills" and goes up to some cool old building ruins on top of Pinnacle Peak. The other section, is within the Metamora camp ground between Herd Rd, and Baldwin Rd., north of Oakwood rd. Kind of hard to explain. I like the hadley hills the best, and Bloomer is a good time as well. There is some Beautiful wilderness out in these areas that few touch, I really like it for SE MI. I know these trails could be twice as good if crews were sent out for trail maintenance though!!! And within each area, there are so many trail offshoots that are unmarked and unmapped. Be ready to explore, but that's half the fun to a new trail! :wink:
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby KRUG » April 11th, 2006, 7:58 pm

It's a shame that I live in Ortonville and never ride these trails. I should check them out one of these days. Only two miles from my home.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby bikesatori » April 11th, 2006, 8:09 pm

It's a shame that I live in Ortonville and never ride these trails. I should check them out one of these days. Only two miles from my home.

wow! c'mon, get out there! There is some PRIME elevation change in these areas, those could be awesome trails with some organization and sweat and grunt, especially for SE MI!
right along the "soft spot" inbetween the thumb and hand on the MI map, there is a small ridgeline of elevation that runs from SW to NE, and this is the area where it crosses.
I've also seen a missisauga rattler in that Hadley Hills area as well, and watch out for the horses there. :wink:
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby KRUG » April 12th, 2006, 7:22 am

With the high gas prices right now, I'll be more likely to ride my bike to the trails that are close to home.
Krug

http://rbs-cyclingteam.com/

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. -Thomas A. Edison
KRUG

Postby jbodyaudio » April 12th, 2006, 8:18 am

I live in Fenton/Holly and work at M-24 and Oakwood, so I take Oakwood Rd. in to work everyday. I had no idea there were places to ride so close out here. I always just stop at Holdridge because it's on my way home. I'd like to check these other trails out. I know the offshoot you're talking about at the curve on Oakwood, but I'm not sure about the other areas. Maybe I will have to explore on my way home tonight. Thanks.
-Adam
jbodyaudio

Postby bikesatori » April 12th, 2006, 8:31 am

yes, worth the exploration (although I'm not aware of the trail condition or rideability at this time as I haven't been out there in a long time...)
but, just to find the areas mention, go to just about any Mi DNR operated/state owned facility, and get their land and rec. area guide for free. It might have a map showing at least the areas controlled and governed by Ortonville/Metamora State Recreation Area, that way you can see which roads to take, or surround the areas, but I'm positive the trail maps they have of these areas are super limited...

jbodyaudio - most of the other areas are just north up Hadley road which you pass on Oakwood by a greenhouse garden center, then you go for a ways, around quite a few curves, past Big Fish Lake access, then you get to the top of a big hill on the road, and there is Fox Lake Road crossing, and you can go either way on that road and find several trails and orv areas, but the most (Hadley Hills/Pinnacle Point) will be to your left (west). Go down Fox Lake rd for a ways, then you will pass a very large (looks like a picnic area) horse mounting/loading area on your right, you can pick up to most of the trails from there, or keep going down the road until you get to a 90deg corner, and keep going straight on a skinnier, small 2-track, and just park and go from there. Awesome area, check it out.
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby MountainMike » April 12th, 2006, 8:45 am

I just heard about these trails from a friend who lived out that way. He said that they are one of the first to dry out and that he rode there a couple of weeks ago and conditions we're great. I'm going to have to get up there and check these trails out sometime soon
~Mike

Every reality was once a possibility
MountainMike

Postby jbodyaudio » April 12th, 2006, 11:32 am

These trails sound like they might be able to turn someone around if they're not familiar with the area. I might just wait until I pick up a GPS before I decide to go exploring them.
-Adam
jbodyaudio

Postby bikesatori » April 12th, 2006, 12:13 pm

are you serious? ...... if you keep going in one direction, you are bound to hit a road if you get desparate... have you ever flown over the state of MI, or almost anywhere in the Midwest and East, everything is essentially divided into little squares or shapes, bisected by road and property lines. We are not talking insurpassable wilderness here where you need provisions for weeks to cross the unknown...
I likey da' bikey.
bikesatori

Postby jbodyaudio » April 12th, 2006, 3:09 pm

Granted, if I had an entire day to go play in the woods that would be one thing, but my time is between about 6:00 PM and dark, so I prefer to just know my way back as opposed to "ridng in one direction until I hit a road". Yes, I've flown over Michigan, and yes, I've looked and sat photos of the area. The fact remains, no matter how slight the possibility, I'd rather not get lost in the woods, especially not late in the evening. I've been on unmarked trails before with splits in the trail, and double-backs, and it can be easy to forget where you've been. Especially if you're paying attention to your ride instead of the scenery. You can do your thing... I'll do mine.
-Adam
jbodyaudio

Postby KLydesdale » April 18th, 2006, 7:47 pm

FYI: The DNR Ortonville Recreation Area map shows some of the trails mentioned here but I know there are others not shown. Something to keep in mind if you head out there to explore this spring and summer is which trails are listed as MTB trails and which are "Bridle/Snowmobile" trails.
KLydesdale

Postby Sofa King » April 19th, 2006, 10:01 am

I rode the 3.5 mile loop off State Park road and Sands road. It's fairly wide but with a single ribbon of dirt....so you can pretend you're on single track. :wink: The trails that at Hadley Hills off of Fox Lake road are designated bridle trails, I would be hesitant to ride those on your mountain bike as I believe (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) they are closed to mountain bikes. Although they are tempting you can equally be challenged on Fox Lake road between Washburn and Honert, there's a killer climb in either direction! The road is unimproved so there is no traffic what so ever.

You can not get lost on the 3.5 mile loop, it starts and ends at the trailhead parking lot.
"Lose all the crap hanging off your bike!"

"Ride it like you stole it!"

Cycletherapy Racing
Sofa King

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments