MCMBA: Rouge Park

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Rouge Park

Postby chris_f » September 10th, 2015, 2:43 pm

Trail is in great shape! Dry and cleared of recent deadfall from storms.

The GirlBike group recently did a group ride that include Rouge Trail, the Rouge Gateway Bikepath, and Dearborn trails.
chris_f

Postby MTB_huh » September 17th, 2015, 11:31 am

I rode this trail for the first time a couple days ago. According to both the MMBA Trail guide and the map provided by mcmba.org ( http://site.mcmba.org/index.php/our-tra ... geparkmenu ), it shows the trail being 3 miles. I completed two laps and was only a bit over 3 miles total. I don't believe I missed any part of the trail. Has anyone else experienced this?

The trail itself was relatively dry and is ready to ride.
Jim
MTB_huh

Postby chris_f » September 17th, 2015, 2:37 pm

Hi Jim - thanks for posting. The complete loop is probably slightly under 3, but definitely not half that. I find measuring by GPS alone will undercount due to the approximations, twisty lines, and speed. A calibrated wheel odometer usually comes in just under 3. (We lost a few segments due to necessary reroutes too.) All the more reason to expand to other blocks once the City and partners are in a better position to work with on the master planning.
chris_f

Postby dougmint » February 12th, 2016, 7:23 am

Do you think the trail is suitable for winter fat bike riding?
dougmint

Postby chris_f » March 9th, 2016, 12:01 pm

Doug - sorry I missed this earlier - yes, the trail would be fine for winter fatbiking. Although it'll probably be sloppy with the spring thaw underway now.
chris_f

Postby aar0n » June 4th, 2016, 7:43 am

The trail right now is not in too good shape. Atleast 4 downed trees blocking the path causing you to walk around or some you can climb over. One of the bridges is loose. With a little TLC this trail would be back in shape and really fun to ride.
aar0n

Postby SteelIsReal » June 20th, 2016, 8:22 am

chris_f wrote:Doug - sorry I missed this earlier - yes, the trail would be fine for winter fatbiking. Although it'll probably be sloppy with the spring thaw underway now.

Chris. It's Lane. From facbeook.

The guy post above mine is pretty accurate as of yesterday.

A weed wacker, chainsaws, pruners would be needed and that would be a start. I own none of that I pay a landscaping company for my yard.

It's time to expand this trail and whatever public officials need to get rattled to make it happen please post their info. Thank you.
I'm not sponsored by Niner Bikes, Industry Nine wheels, Shimano components, Specialized tires but it would be a lot cooler if I was.

Thank you to the MMBA chapters and the volunteers that make the trails great.
SteelIsReal

Postby jwhitey » June 21st, 2016, 6:44 am

I rode this trail a couple years ago. Short but fun. I wouldn't recommend it for a night ride though.
jwhitey

Postby chris_f » June 22nd, 2016, 8:56 am

As of Saturday, almost all big trees down have been cleared - except for the big double tree down in the northeast corner - this is in the stretch after the Joy Rd bridge crossing but before you get to the opening near the Aeromodelers Field. You can dismount and limbo slide under it for now - not ideal, but ran out of time/gas/bar oil. Will address soon.

SloMo - I cleaned up the area near the orange barrels (old sinkhole from an old water main leak) but did not see your Garmin anywhere.

In the meantime, trail was very dry and otherwise in good shape. Some overgrowth from the spring, trimming also welcome.

Lane - thanks - as a first step - there is a monthly Friends of Rouge Park meeting. Good place to meet the other stakeholders and park users (aeromodelers, equestrians, hikers, naturalists, etc.) I am unable to attend regularly due to family commitments, but having a presence there keeps us plugged in to the improvements they are working with the City on.

We have a bit of a chicken-egg situation - hard to demonstrate need for more trail without more volunteers, riders, voices, but understandably hard to get volunteers, riders, voices if the trail is only 3 miles long. Still, it's a great trail with interesting terrain and room for growth, and future connections to the existing Eliza Howell trails, Dearborn trails, and Hines trails. It's a bit of a long game with this one, but will pay off in the long run with persistence and patience. In the meantime, any help with trimming and deadfall clearing is always welcome.

Other things on the wish list: some more posts with arrows and indicators, a few possible extensions that will also improve some steep ascent/descents. There's also plenty of room for natural trail features like log piles and rock gardens.
chris_f

Postby SloMo » June 22nd, 2016, 9:11 am

Thanks for looking, I am sure its in the water near the cement drain tube. Did you happen to take out the low hanging tree above those barrels? That is what caused my whole incident. Maybe I will head down there again another morning to ride the whole thing. I think another Rouge/Hines/Morton-Taylor day is tempting.
Follow me on Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9205583
2015 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon WC
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
SloMo

Postby chris_f » June 22nd, 2016, 1:56 pm

Yes, that low-hanger is gone now, sorry to hear about that. That tree used to make a cool archway that was still plenty tall for clearance, but after the storms it got knocked too low and had to go. I also moved the barrels around to block the (now dry) sinkhole better, but I have some ideas for a reroute that would better utilize the terrain there.

If you're stringing rides together, I often ride the paved trails to Outer Drive to Hines to the (paved) Rouge Gateway path that runs from the end of Hines Drive at Ford Rd down past UMD and HFC to the Andiamo lot on Michigan. From there you can ride the Dearborn singletrack trails (unofficial but well-used and mapped on Google Maps.)
chris_f

Postby SloMo » June 22nd, 2016, 3:37 pm

Good to know, and thanks again
Follow me on Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/9205583
2015 Specialized Stumpjumper Carbon WC
2016 Specialized Diverge Elite DSW
SloMo

Postby SteelIsReal » June 22nd, 2016, 7:50 pm

chris_f wrote:As of Saturday, almost all big trees down have been cleared - except for the big double tree down in the northeast corner - this is in the stretch after the Joy Rd bridge crossing but before you get to the opening near the Aeromodelers Field. You can dismount and limbo slide under it for now - not ideal, but ran out of time/gas/bar oil. Will address soon.

SloMo - I cleaned up the area near the orange barrels (old sinkhole from an old water main leak) but did not see your Garmin anywhere.

In the meantime, trail was very dry and otherwise in good shape. Some overgrowth from the spring, trimming also welcome.

Lane - thanks - as a first step - there is a monthly Friends of Rouge Park meeting. Good place to meet the other stakeholders and park users (aeromodelers, equestrians, hikers, naturalists, etc.) I am unable to attend regularly due to family commitments, but having a presence there keeps us plugged in to the improvements they are working with the City on.

We have a bit of a chicken-egg situation - hard to demonstrate need for more trail without more volunteers, riders, voices, but understandably hard to get volunteers, riders, voices if the trail is only 3 miles long. Still, it's a great trail with interesting terrain and room for growth, and future connections to the existing Eliza Howell trails, Dearborn trails, and Hines trails. It's a bit of a long game with this one, but will pay off in the long run with persistence and patience. In the meantime, any help with trimming and deadfall clearing is always welcome.

Other things on the wish list: some more posts with arrows and indicators, a few possible extensions that will also improve some steep ascent/descents. There's also plenty of room for natural trail features like log piles and rock gardens.

So are you the trail coordinator?

I can come help with that tree. The one you limbo under.

The thing is I am trying to have someone have a plan for the trail and go start begging for money. I need to talk to you and get the scoop. Let's meet at the trail when we can. I'm racing Saturday up north but I don't live far and it's a quick easy spin over there.
I'm not sponsored by Niner Bikes, Industry Nine wheels, Shimano components, Specialized tires but it would be a lot cooler if I was.

Thank you to the MMBA chapters and the volunteers that make the trails great.
SteelIsReal

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments