MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » June 8th, 2012, 8:28 pm

irishpitbull wrote:Loop 3-4 are legit. But there is too much horse *beep* and deep sand IMO.

Leave your mark too - ride over and through all horse piles!!! :twisted:
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Gfish29 » June 10th, 2012, 6:58 pm

I've ridden parts of Proud Lake about 7 times now since Bill mowed it down. The trail is in excellent shape and there have not been very many horses lately either. In fact, I rode there today but also to Island Lake & it was Island Lake that had more face slappers. Historically, Proud Lake has been the jungle adventure of this area, but it is pretty awesome right now. I've really enjoyed it out there lately.
Thanks Bill!
Gfish29

Postby Builder-Bill » June 10th, 2012, 9:40 pm

I trimmed some more slapper back today. The trail is in great shape...Old school style riding trails... So ride it or lose it. :)
Bill and Sam the trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby Builder-Bill » June 10th, 2012, 9:45 pm

jpjones wrote:I just use a make-shift "parking area" on the South side of Garden Road maybe a 1/2 mile West of Wixom Road where my friends and I park our cars. This clearing where I park just appears like a bunch of weeds matted down, but you can pull your car up into it quite easily. Ride your bike a couple hundred yards South from there, and you cut into the trails near the beginning of Loop 1. Follow the horse-shoe equestrian arrows (because these bike trails are shared with the horses). You will see a lot of horse dumpings that serve as additional obstacles to avoid :)

There is a small park area with a trail head and a map further West down Garden Road, but since it is a dead end, you won't be able to drive your car all the way to the trail-head. This trail head serves as the beginning of Loops 1 and 2. There must be access to this area via car through another route.

As mentioned before, Loops 3 and 4 are where the challenge is, but Loops 1 and 2 are worth a ride while you are there. If you want to skip straight to Loops 3 and 4 (from the parking area I mentioned above), ride your bike further West down Garden Road over the small wooden bridge and then to the start of Loop 2. Stay left at the intersection and ride directly to the rail road tracks. Cross the tracks, and follow the trail to the right. This is the start of Loop 3. Bring a print out of the map with you, it will come in handy.

Enjoy!

A good place to park is the corner of Dawson Rd and Child lake Rd, that were loop 4 starts.
Bill and Sam the trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby davedejonge » June 11th, 2012, 9:14 am

I made a map of the park that helps on some of the shortcuts that don't show up on the official map...

This might help some first timers.
davedejonge

Postby Spinwheel » June 12th, 2012, 9:42 pm

Great map Dave!
Rode through on south side of L1 and N. side of L4 - smooth and fast tonight - All was in great shape minus the usual sand on the L2 bypass. Thanks for the mowing too...
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby mwilson7 » June 25th, 2012, 8:57 pm

So I printed out the maps and decided to give Proud Lake another go. Came in from the Kensington connector side so I started on loop 4. Ended up making a wrong turn on loop 1. Couldn't find the enterance to loop 2 because it appears to start right next to the road when if fact it starts about 1/4 mile from it (or so). Also got turned around on loop 3 and then on loop 4 I ended up taking the horse trail back to the Kensington connector.

I will eventually learn this trail as it's really a fun trail but you would probably increase the traffic 10X if the trails were just clearly marked. It really is a shame because I was really surprised at just how fun this trail is but the frustration I experienced trying to find my way around really put a damper on my ride. Im not sure how one would go about properly labeling this trail but I'd be willing to help.

If it wasn't for the sand and horse crap everywhere this would be a great trail!

Dave - I'm going to send you an email with some suggestions on your map. I think it's a great idea and with the way this trail is set up a map is definitely needed.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby Loren » June 25th, 2012, 9:02 pm

fwiw, it's not for a lack of trying. Signs that we've added have been removed and destroyed.
Loren

Postby irishpitbull » June 25th, 2012, 9:25 pm

mwilson7 wrote:So I printed out the maps and decided to give Proud Lake another go. Came in from the Kensington connector side so I started on loop 4. Ended up making a wrong turn on loop 1. Couldn't find the enterance to loop 2 because it appears to start right next to the road when if fact it starts about 1/4 mile from it (or so). Also got turned around on loop 3 and then on loop 4 I ended up taking the horse trail back to the Kensington connector.

I will eventually learn this trail as it's really a fun trail but you would probably increase the traffic 10X if the trails were just clearly marked. It really is a shame because I was really surprised at just how fun this trail is but the frustration I experienced trying to find my way around really put a damper on my ride. Im not sure how one would go about properly labeling this trail but I'd be willing to help.

If it wasn't for the sand and horse crap everywhere this would be a great trail!

Dave - I'm going to send you an email with some suggestions on your map. I think it's a great idea and with the way this trail is set up a map is definitely needed.

If you want to go out again shoot me a PM. Thanks to Builder Bob, I'm a Proud Lake Expert. :wink:
irishpitbull

Postby mwilson7 » June 26th, 2012, 4:48 am

Loren wrote:fwiw, it's not for a lack of trying. Signs that we've added have been removed and destroyed.

What about just marking the loops with no reference to biking? It seems that the hiking signs have been left alone? so maybe that's a way around it? All I needed was a sign that says "loop 2 ---> "

I'm not *beep* but it's disappointing because the trails pretty good.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby Roy » June 26th, 2012, 8:02 am

You could try the type of signs used at River Bends trail in Utica. The signs are small (6"x6") mounted high in trees.
A Vandal would need a ladder to remove these signs.

Roy
Roy

Postby mwilson7 » June 26th, 2012, 8:13 am

or a horse.......
Mark
mwilson7

Postby davedejonge » June 26th, 2012, 11:22 am

Or a shotgun.
davedejonge

Postby irishpitbull » June 26th, 2012, 11:23 am

Or a fork lift
irishpitbull

Postby davedejonge » June 27th, 2012, 10:22 pm

I created a new map, thanks to Mark Wilson for the GPS data.

PM me for a pdf of same. You can zoom in much better on the pdf.

this has pretty much every side trail that is noticeable, If you noticed any major mistakes, let me know and I will update.

GPS data gives a total distance of 9.5 miles for all 4 loops.

Edit - if anyone can host the PDF I would be happy to send it to them so it can be linked in this thread.

davedejonge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions