MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby bleve » May 1st, 2012, 12:48 am

Thanks for the directions. I just looked at my GPS track from my phone (just learning how to use it) and I was on loop 4 I'm pretty sure. I think I see the connector trail through the fields on Google maps or are you supposed to follow roads and I'm just seeing some private trails?
bleve

Postby J/C » May 1st, 2012, 9:48 am

Here's a map of the connector. It will take you from Loop 4 through the woods (on Metropark land) to the entrance to Kensington on Milford Rd by Baker's, Holden's and the Dairy Queen. From there you could got south into the park and over to Island lake or North on the paved path to the Milford Trail. Or turn back around around and have a nice climb back to Proud Lake.
J/C

Postby davedejonge » May 1st, 2012, 11:06 am

J/C wrote:To find the connector, you have to be on Loop 4, which is across Childs Lake Rd from Loop 3. Once on Loop 4, ride CCW until you see the sign that says "Kensington" and points to the right. Sounds like you were on Loop 3.

The trail sign for Loop 1 was knocked down by a truck the other day, I stood it back up, was going to dig a new hold and rebury it then the next day it got knocked down and really ran over and broken. An arrow and the "Garden Rd" sign are busted in half. It's in my front yard now, I'll try to patch it back together.

I'll try to get to the trees on Loop 3 tomorrow after work, time to test out my "chainsaw backpack" idea.

John

John I've done the chainsaw in a backpack before, it works fine. I put the business end out the top and had the motor in the backpack.
I could ride the whole trail this way, though, I noticed the extra weight by the time I was done.
davedejonge

Postby J/C » May 2nd, 2012, 8:50 pm

Well, I rode all of loop 3 with chainsaw, one viny tangle and one small tree cleared. I probably could ride the whole trail with the setup, but it would not be easy. I used an older internal frame backpack and it did prove to be a stable carry method.
John
J/C

Postby Loren » May 2nd, 2012, 8:52 pm

Thanks! (Please record your volunteer time)
Loren

Postby J/C » May 14th, 2012, 12:11 pm

Rode loop 1 last night, kind of rough at the start due to lots of horse traffic, but it's in good shape overall. Little bit wet in spots but things should dry out this week.
J/C

Postby J/C » May 23rd, 2012, 7:49 am

Rode Loops 1 and 2 last night. Loop 1 is great, smooth and fast. 2 is pretty hooved up in some spots. Did some hand pruning of overhanging branches and bushes in blind corners.
J/C

Postby Builder-Bill » May 29th, 2012, 11:00 pm

The Trails are in great shape. I mowed loops 1,2,3 and 4 over the weekend.
Getting it ready for the Milford Trail Challenge....Its this weekend. June 2.
Bill and Sam the Trail Dog.
Builder-Bill

Postby jpjones » June 7th, 2012, 12:57 pm

I'm surprised to see the "Easy" designation for Proud Lake trails. While the trails aren't incredibly technical, the overall rugged terrain along with the MANY challenging climbs found in Loops 3 and 4 would easily warrant an "Intermediate" designation in my humble opinion.

I was just out for a ride of loops 1-4 on Tuesday and had a great time - trail conditions were fantastic. We didn't see a single other person out there. While I enjoy some of the other trails like PLRA and Poto a lot more, I think Proud Lake is very underrated, underappreciated, and underused. It's a very nice change of pace.

Thanks to those responsible for the maintenace of Proud Lake. :)
jpjones

Postby irishpitbull » June 7th, 2012, 1:07 pm

jpjones wrote:I'm surprised to see the "Easy" designation for Proud Lake trails. While the trails aren't incredibly technical, the overall rugged terrain along with the MANY challenging climbs found in Loops 3 and 4 would easily warrant an "Intermediate" designation in my humble opinion.

I was just out for a ride of loops 1-4 on Tuesday and had a great time - trail conditions were fantastic. We didn't see a single other person out there. While I enjoy some of the other trails like PLRA and Poto a lot more, I think Proud Lake is very underrated, underappreciated, and underused. It's a very nice change of pace.

I'll have to get out there. Are there signs for trail head? Thanks for the review.
irishpitbull

Postby jpjones » June 7th, 2012, 2:04 pm

I just use a make-shift "parking area" on the South side of Garden Road maybe a 1/2 mile West of Wixom Road where my friends and I park our cars. This clearing where I park just appears like a bunch of weeds matted down, but you can pull your car up into it quite easily. Ride your bike a couple hundred yards South from there, and you cut into the trails near the beginning of Loop 1. Follow the horse-shoe equestrian arrows (because these bike trails are shared with the horses). You will see a lot of horse dumpings that serve as additional obstacles to avoid :)

There is a small park area with a trail head and a map further West down Garden Road, but since it is a dead end, you won't be able to drive your car all the way to the trail-head. This trail head serves as the beginning of Loops 1 and 2. There must be access to this area via car through another route.

As mentioned before, Loops 3 and 4 are where the challenge is, but Loops 1 and 2 are worth a ride while you are there. If you want to skip straight to Loops 3 and 4 (from the parking area I mentioned above), ride your bike further West down Garden Road over the small wooden bridge and then to the start of Loop 2. Stay left at the intersection and ride directly to the rail road tracks. Cross the tracks, and follow the trail to the right. This is the start of Loop 3. Bring a print out of the map with you, it will come in handy.

Enjoy!
jpjones

Postby wspfan » June 7th, 2012, 8:08 pm

I agree that they are nice trails, but at times the horse's do chew up the trail quite a bit and I wish it were ridden more. I ride in from Sleeth to loop 2>loop 3>loop 4 to the Kensington connector>Milford>Kensington connector>2nd half of loop 4>loop 1>back home.
wspfan

Postby ColorVoyeur » June 7th, 2012, 8:45 pm

Only in Michigan can mountain bikers complain about a trail being too rough.
No Dig, No Ride
ColorVoyeur

Postby Spinwheel » June 7th, 2012, 10:58 pm

irishpitbull wrote:
jpjones wrote:I'm surprised to see the "Easy" designation for Proud Lake trails. While the trails aren't incredibly technical, the overall rugged terrain along with the MANY challenging climbs found in Loops 3 and 4 would easily warrant an "Intermediate" designation in my humble opinion.

I'll have to get out there. Are there signs for trail head? Thanks for the review.

I made a series of ppt maps with parking options, the trail loops and park features noted - if any would like a copy pm me your email.

My favourite loops are 1 and 4 and the Kensington connector with options for an out and back or a loop through Milford or Island Lake. I rarely ride loop 2. I always ride in from Hickory Glen Park on the paved path and through the Proud Lake campground ect...
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby irishpitbull » June 8th, 2012, 7:55 pm

Loop 3-4 are legit. But there is too much horse *beep* and deep sand IMO.
irishpitbull

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions