MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » October 16th, 2011, 9:20 pm

L3 has a tree down 100 yds after the H2O pump - it can be ridden around though. Another low hanger within a half mile after that - EZ ride under.
L4 has one down / vine covered about 1/3 mile before the right turn toward the Kens. Connector (needs chainsaw) ...another ride-over somewhere after that.

Lots of sticks down on all loops and some small trees blown over - I cleared a few.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby J/C » October 18th, 2011, 11:58 am

Loop 1 is in good shape. There's one tree to duck under, no problem though.
-John
J/C

Postby Builder-Bill » October 18th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Spinwheel wrote:L3 has a tree down 100 yds after the H2O pump - it can be ridden around though. Another low hanger within a half mile after that - EZ ride under.
L4 has one down / vine covered about 1/3 mile before the right turn toward the Kens. Connector (needs chainsaw) ...another ride-over somewhere after that.

Lots of sticks down on all loops and some small trees blown over - I cleared a few.

Its all clear...I just finished cutting them out.
The Trails are in great shape... Good Iceman training..
Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby J/C » October 23rd, 2011, 9:49 am

Rode all the loops yesterday, everything is in good shape, little mud on loop 4.
John
J/C

Postby Builder-Bill » December 11th, 2011, 10:58 pm

Trails in great shape, I saw a lot of bike tracks in the dusting of snow today.
Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby Spinwheel » January 15th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Rode loop 1 tonight and was clear - and snow covered. Couple other bike tracks out there. Trail was a bit rougher than normal, presumably frozen horse tracks.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby davedejonge » January 26th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Loop 4 has some vines in the way, need a pair of clippers to clean it up, loop 3 is in great shape, frozen and very grippy. no mosquitoes! can't beat this.
davedejonge

Postby Builder-Bill » January 28th, 2012, 5:24 pm

davedejonge wrote:Loop 4 has some vines in the way, need a pair of clippers to clean it up, loop 3 is in great shape, frozen and very grippy. no mosquitoes! can't beat this.

Cut down the vines on Loop 4, All Clear. Trails in good shape with a little wet snow on them.
Bill and Sam the Trail Dog
Builder-Bill

Postby J/C » January 30th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Loop 1 is good; I hiked it Saturday. Loop 2 has two trees down, nothing you can't step over, but I think one of them might be too much for a hand saw.
J/C

Postby J/C » March 5th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Last night I jogged Loop 1 and cleared the trail of branches. 3 trees are down that require sawing. One over by Wixom Rd is a big tangle, the other 2 can be stepped over easily.
J/C

Postby mtbfree » March 14th, 2012, 10:30 am

I'm curious about this trail... I live 20min from Proud Lake, but I've never ridden there. How well marked/easy to follow is the trail? Am I going to get lost if I try and ride there without someone to show me around?

Also, is the trail rideable? Or is it one of those that takes a little longer to dry out early season?

Thanks for the help.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby amadkins » March 14th, 2012, 11:01 am

mtbfree wrote:I'm curious about this trail... I live 20min from Proud Lake, but I've never ridden there. How well marked/easy to follow is the trail? Am I going to get lost if I try and ride there without someone to show me around?

Also, is the trail rideable? Or is it one of those that takes a little longer to dry out early season?

Thanks for the help.

I got lost my first time. Usually takes a bit to dry out, especially loop 4.
amadkins

Postby mtbfree » March 14th, 2012, 1:14 pm

amadkins wrote:
mtbfree wrote:I'm curious about this trail... I live 20min from Proud Lake, but I've never ridden there. How well marked/easy to follow is the trail? Am I going to get lost if I try and ride there without someone to show me around?

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll probably just go ride Hickory Glen today since I know it's ready to ride.
I'm just here to ride...

-'15 Transition Scout
-'15 Trek Session 88
-'04 Santa Cruz Chameleon
mtbfree

Postby amadkins » March 14th, 2012, 2:48 pm

mtbfree wrote:
amadkins wrote:

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I'll probably just go ride Hickory Glen today since I know it's ready to ride.

That's where I'm heading. I'll be the fat dude on a spearfish.
amadkins

Postby J/C » March 17th, 2012, 8:07 pm

Rode all 4 loops this afternoon. Conditions are good, things are remarkably dry. The only wet area is the last bit of Loop 4 between Childs Lk Rd and RR tracks and even that isn't bad, my legs stayed clean. Some trees on Loop 1 had been cut out with a hand saw (perhaps by equestrians?), the others I broke up and moved off the trail. I should have brought a saw; on Loop 4 I spent at least 10 minutes tearing apart vines and dead branches by hand. I had done about all I could do, the trail was clean save for the 3" thick top section of a fallen ash jutting into the trail about eye level, too strong to break by hand. I was was about to admit defeat when a guy hiked up carrying a full backpack, which happened to contain a folding handsaw (among a bunch of other stuff). We make quick work of the branch.

Since it's still so early, sightlines are great and you can carry more speed than usual.

If anyone wants to try the trail for the first time, I urge you give it a go. Bring a map, you won't really need it, but it will make you feel more confident about the exploring you're about to do. You will most definitely get "lost" at least once by taking a wrong turn off one of the main loops. Loop 4 is the worst for that. But you will either cut the loop short or end up in someone's backyard, it would be hard to really get lost. Remember each loop is about 2 miles. It might seem like you're out in the middle of nowhere, but chances are, you're withing a few hundred feet of a road or backyard or the railroad tracks. Now is a great time to explore, because you can see a lot further into the woods since the leaves aren't out. The DNR has signposts with maps on all the loops. It would save ya some time to get a guided tour, so post here if you're interested. Besides me and the TC Bill, there are a few of us locals that could show ya around.

Happy Trails,
John
Assistant Trail Coordinator
J/C

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions