MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby BusDriver » October 21st, 2012, 12:07 pm

Heads up out there!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/17/ ... ar-window/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/20/justice/m ... index.html

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Wixom Police Department at 248-624-6114 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.
Life Behind Bars

http://www.treefortbikes.com/

MMBA Poto Chapter Brighton Trail Coordinator
BusDriver

Postby bleve » November 7th, 2012, 9:58 pm

Rode out here on Monday and there was a tree down about a quarter mile after the road crossing on loop 4 as well as a couple trees down in the last quarter mile before the train tracks.
bleve

Postby J/C » November 11th, 2012, 7:29 pm

BusDriver wrote:Heads up out there!

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/17/ ... ar-window/

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/20/justice/m ... index.html

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Wixom Police Department at 248-624-6114 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-SPEAK-UP.

I-96 shooter was apprehended at home less that five miles from here!!

I'll see what I can do about the trees this week, getting dark so early though... gonna have to be a night mission I think. That's OK, just got a new 700 lumen light that I haven't got to test out yet.

REMINDER: Firearm deer season starts Thursday the 15th. Expect to see hunters out there, there are bow hunters out now. Hunting hours end now at 5:45 pm and it gets a couple minutes earlier every day, so if you're out there in the evening with lights, you should be fine.

John
J/C

Postby mtbr.czar » November 22nd, 2012, 2:40 pm

There are two trees 50 feet apart down on the Kensington Connector between Hill and Milford Road. Closer to Hill. They will need to be cut with a chain saw, however, they can be easily cleared off the bike.
mtbr.czar

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » November 25th, 2012, 9:42 am

Rode all of Proud Lake yesterday 11/24/12. Trail is in good shape, although there are several greasy spots in the usual places. There is still a tree down on the loop 4 "return" along the RR tracks. All of the upper branches were cleared by chainsaw, but the lowest one was left in place......hmmmm, wonder how that happened?
WishIcouldcatchmybreath

Postby mtbr.czar » December 1st, 2012, 4:35 pm

One of trees on the Kensington Connector has been removed by a chain saw (ironically the one that would cause both horses and bikes a problem). The other remains, I was however able to knock it down enough and build a temporary log feature so you can now pass without dismounting.
mtbr.czar

Postby Spinwheel » December 14th, 2012, 12:15 am

Trees down on Glengary Connector and L1 near the garden rd bridge. Both are interesting new trail features.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Spinwheel » December 26th, 2012, 12:24 pm

New tree down on loop 1 at the base of the climb near Wixom Rd.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby davedejonge » January 7th, 2013, 9:24 pm

Took a ski on Loop 4 today, snow is packed down from walkers/skiers/snomobiles. Get your FATbike love on here now!!!
Trail is in good shape, one small tree down on 4 that you can hop.

Also took a few moments to update the map I made this summer...

Fixed a few issues with the boyscout trail (blue marker on my map) that shares the Kensington connector.
Also added another well used shortcut.
both changes help explain 2 intersections on L4 that were not correct on my first map.

Hit the link here to take a look.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_-YeT-KS4SOemFIamlCb0NNRGs

image of map below...
davedejonge

Postby mwilson7 » January 8th, 2013, 11:34 am

Dave,

Thanks for the updated map!

After committing to learning and riding Proud Lake last summer I've really grown to like it. Riding the Milford Trail and then taking the connector over to Proud Lake makes for a great ride!

Another big plus is that although the trail is shared with horses I have only come cross one rider in the 10+ rides I logged here last year. Funny thing is I saw more horses than mountain bikers on the trail!!

If you haven't ridden this trail I'd strongly recommend you give it a try but bring a map or someone who knows the trail as it can be confusing!
Mark
mwilson7

Postby davedejonge » January 9th, 2013, 10:51 am

saw some fat bike tracks today on loops 3 and 4. was amazed, only saw 1 time where traction was lost, and, no ruts.. never tried the fat tire thing, but, it sure looked like it works well. With this warmer weather, the trails is going to turn to soup. Ride in the mornings. Heads up on 1 widow maker on loop 4 on the east side of Childs lake. you should be able to duck under it.
davedejonge

Postby Builder-Bill » January 11th, 2013, 4:10 pm

davedejonge wrote:Took a ski on Loop 4 today, snow is packed down from walkers/skiers/snomobiles. Get your FATbike love on here now!!!
Trail is in good shape, one small tree down on 4 that you can hop.

Also took a few moments to update the map I made this summer...

Fixed a few issues with the boyscout trail (blue marker on my map) that shares the Kensington connector.
Also added another well used shortcut.
both changes help explain 2 intersections on L4 that were not correct on my first map.

Hit the link here to take a look.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B_-YeT-KS4SOemFIamlCb0NNRGs

image of map below...

Nice Map Dave ,
I need to show you few more short cuts and off the main map trails.
I also saw the same fat tire tracks when I was X-skiing. :D Its a great place to X-Ski and back woods ski. There is a nice rabbit to Ski/Hike-a-Bike on the south east side of the rail road crossing.

Bill and Sam The trail dog
Proud Lake TC
Milford Trail TC
Kennsington / Proud Lake Trail TC
Builder-Bill

Postby davedejonge » January 14th, 2013, 11:39 am

Bill, if you've got some tracks to add I'd be glad to include them...
I've only added the ones that I am familiar with, I know I took a trail in loop 1 once that is not shown, but don't remember it well enough anymore. I seemed to think that it started at the top of the hill represented by the furthest point in on the section of Loop 1 parallel to wixom rd.

I've never been off the trail in the area you mention,

Dave
davedejonge

Postby mwilson7 » January 14th, 2013, 9:10 pm

Bill,

Did you get a promotion? I see you are now listing three trails that you are responsible for, is that correct?
Mark
mwilson7

Postby goin-postal » February 24th, 2013, 3:22 pm

I rode some sections today on the Fatbike and the conditions were perfect for it.

Loop 1 was pretty packed down from hikers and skiers.

Loop 4 saw a lot less traffic and was a little harder going. At the end of the loop near the RR tracks there were 4 or 5 trees down all in one spot. No way to crawl over and very difficult to get around because of vines and thorns.
goin-postal

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments