MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » September 14th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Small game season starts tomorrow, Sept. 15. Be alert for people out there blasting at stuff (game or otherwise...).
J/C

Postby davedejonge » September 14th, 2012, 9:33 pm

Good point... Target practice season... Bow season starts on OCT 1... let the games begin. wear your orange.
davedejonge

Postby Genetic_ » September 20th, 2012, 4:12 pm

I was on the Michigan DNR site and noticed a "More Information" area for Proud Lake. The "Friends of Proud Lake" have a link. I wonder if the MCMBA could get one as well.
Genetic_

Postby J/C » September 23rd, 2012, 6:48 pm

Genetic_ wrote:I was on the Michigan DNR site and noticed a "More Information" area for Proud Lake. The "Friends of Proud Lake" have a link. I wonder if the MCMBA could get one as well.

Not a bad idea, but I don't think the state wants to or needs to link to every organization that uses the park. For example, they could link MCMBA, Proud Lk Equestrians, Boy Scouts, SOLAR, mushroom hunters club (seriously, they had an event this weekend), you get the idea... There is a link from FOPL site to this site.

Haven't been out on the trails lately, but I bet they're in good shape. If anyone knows otherwise, post up.

John
J/C

Postby Spinwheel » September 23rd, 2012, 10:06 pm

Rode L's 1 and 4 today - trails in good shape - and saw the Proud Lk Equestrians trail trimming crew in action on LOOP 1 - stopped and we chatted about prospects for separate Equestrian and BIke/Hike trails.
Saw at least 6 Cross or Iceman trainers on the dirt rd west of the campground. Plenty of sand to add some extra burn
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby davedejonge » September 24th, 2012, 7:58 pm

Rode 1,2,3 and 4 tonight, One small tree down on 4 east of Childs Lake, its a bunny hop if you're good. - hand saw maybe, but its touching the ground, so that might be tough.
Rest of the trail is fantastic, Horse Riders trimmed fantastic!!
Get out and RIDE!
davedejonge

Postby deezler » September 25th, 2012, 9:03 am

So Dave, you say it's well trimmed, but I am wondering: How much poo-dodging is still required? I am generally not a fan of shared trails, but I've never checked out Proud Lake.

Is it chewed up by hooves and littered with road apples? Or is that pretty minimal and it's generally a very enjoyable trail system?

Thanks
deezler

Postby ColorVoyeur » September 25th, 2012, 9:19 am

It's chewed up and littered, and that is part of the appeal.

Don't be such a roadie, go enjoy some messy chopped up trail!
ColorVoyeur

Postby mwilson7 » September 25th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Really the main damage is limited to loops 1 and 2. Loops 3 and 4 seem to hold up much better.
Mark
mwilson7

Postby deezler » September 25th, 2012, 2:19 pm

Haha, good to know. Gotta convince my buddy too, since he has half the voting power of where we head tonight (current plan was Novi, never been to either trail).
deezler

Postby ihateplaindave » September 25th, 2012, 3:19 pm

"(current plan was Novi, never been to either trail)."

You couldn't pick two trails more different than Novi vs. Proud Lake (specially Loops 3 & 4)
ihateplaindave

Postby bleve » September 27th, 2012, 9:40 pm

I just rode Proud Lake tonight (including the Kensington connector) and there was little manure to dodge and only a couple sections that were choppy due to the horses. It certainly did not detract from the overall ride compared to sand issues on other trails.
bleve

Postby Spinwheel » October 7th, 2012, 7:29 pm

Rode yesterday - All loops showed signs of increased horse traffic. L1 and 2 were most rough.
Small tree down near the end of loop 4. L2 was recently mowed improving the sight-lines.
Loop 1 has developed some sections with nearly blind corners - use caution around these corners and prepare to yield to equestrians - they're out there.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby J/C » October 9th, 2012, 10:11 am

The park has been mowing the trails with a 72-inch mower. I rode Loop 1 and part of 2 last nite and they were mowed. A couple loose spots due to the mower spinning its wheels. Wonder if they tried to mow Loop 3 where there's the drop off?? Might try to check that tonight....

Trails are in great shape. Good ICEMAN training.
J/C

Postby davedejonge » October 10th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Rode last night, no mowing on 3 or 4, but trails ARE in great shape. Loop 3 after the parking lot till the beginning of the climbing has to be my favorite part of the entire system, so much fun.
davedejonge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments