MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » August 25th, 2011, 10:43 pm

specialized rider wrote:Ok went out and got lost, just kept following horse trail till I decided to quit. Definitely need a guided tour.

I sent you a PM..
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby Hermannator » August 26th, 2011, 9:46 am

Posting on behalf of my son: The Kensington Connector has no separate trail page.

To all mountain bikers I will be installing some board walks on the Kensington connector trail for my Eagle Scout project. The board walks have already been built. But they will need to be moved from South Hill road west to where they need to be installed. We will be adding more boards to them when they are installed. Because of very little parking on South Hill Road mountain bikers who want to help could park at Bakers off Milford road and ride the trail east to the spot where I?m working. The trail starts at the corner of East Huron River Pkwy and South Milford road. I will be working on Labor Day (the 5th) at 9:30 and finishing by noon.
Hermannator

Postby Gfish29 » September 1st, 2011, 11:51 pm

I'm not sure if the section East of Childs Lake Rd / South of the railroad crossing is part of the bike trail but there are many trees across. Plan on going both over and under fallen logs. It is very overgrown and feels like it may also be the most likely place to stumble upon a vampire den.
Gfish29

Postby WishIcouldcatchmybreath » September 2nd, 2011, 8:21 pm

Gfish29 wrote:I'm not sure if the section East of Childs Lake Rd / South of the railroad crossing is part of the bike trail but there are many trees across. Plan on going both over and under fallen logs. It is very overgrown and feels like it may also be the most likely place to stumble upon a vampire den.

It is indeed part of the trail, and you are correct it is a mess right now. When it's clear, it's actually great fun to ride.
WishIcouldcatchmybreath
Administrator

Postby davedejonge » September 7th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I've done that short section with my son on a tag along bike... the section of long grass right before the tracks is like riding with your eyes closed. Trail, what trail. Its a pity that childs lake rd interupts what is probably the best downhill run in the whole PL trail system. I've bombed across without looking for cars, once! but, that was the one and only time I saw a car on the road. Won't do that again.
davedejonge

Postby Spinwheel » September 10th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Rode some of 1 and 4 and it was a grinder. Lots of sticks down. Couple low hangers in L4. The boy scouts did a great job on the platform on the Kensington Connector - Awsome!!
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Snooker » September 11th, 2011, 12:45 pm

Rode Proud Lake today for the first time. I've got to say that I was pleasantly surprised, especially the section southwest of the rr tracks, which I'd never explored before (loop 1?). Based on the areas that I'd hiked before, I thought Proud Lake would be a snooze, but I was wrong! Granted, the loops are short, but the singletrack through the woods sections is as fun as anything at Highland or Brighton. The loose babyheads (puppyheads? chihuahuaheads?) reminded me in some small way of West Virginia. Ok, maybe that's a slight overstatement, but it was fun to be surprised by a trail that is listed as "easy" and that I had never considered as anything more than a good place to run the dogs. I actually had to walk a couple of climbs on my 33x16 ss.
Snooker

Postby J/C » September 13th, 2011, 11:22 am

Snooker wrote:Rode Proud Lake today for the first time. I've got to say that I was pleasantly surprised, especially the section southwest of the rr tracks, which I'd never explored before (loop 1?). Based on the areas that I'd hiked before, I thought Proud Lake would be a snooze, but I was wrong! Granted, the loops are short, but the singletrack through the woods sections is as fun as anything at Highland or Brighton. The loose babyheads (puppyheads? chihuahuaheads?) reminded me in some small way of West Virginia. Ok, maybe that's a slight overstatement, but it was fun to be surprised by a trail that is listed as "easy" and that I had never considered as anything more than a good place to run the dogs. I actually had to walk a couple of climbs on my 33x16 ss.

Good to hear you enjoyed it. We should probably have the trail guide upgraded to "intermediate." Loop 1 is the easternmost loop, it's across the bridge on the east side of Norton Creek.

I jogged loop 1 last night and there are a few fallen trees but it's rideable. The powerline section was moved recently and is much better.

-John
J/C

Postby Spinwheel » September 13th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Snooker wrote:Rode Proud Lake today for the first time. I've got to say that I was pleasantly surprised, especially the section southwest of the rr tracks, which I'd never explored before (loop 1?). ...

That's actually loop 4, but if you happen to be riding that section CW (clockwise) - which is actually the wrong direction for MTB's on this section (oh well)... and come across the trail marker at Childs Lake Rd., that sign appears to say Loop 1. Its actually Loop 4 ---> the "4" lost some paint and currently looks like a "1"... now the map makes sense again :P Maybe that happened to you too..
Tim
Spinwheel

Postby Snooker » September 14th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Has there been much conflict between horseriders and mtbrs at Proud Lake? I'm from Akron/Cleveland Ohio, and we're currently pushing hard to open up the vast system of parklands in our area to mt. biking. Like the western detroit suburbs, there is a big population of horseriders. One of the concerns of land managers is the possible conflict that would be created.
Snooker

Postby J/C » September 15th, 2011, 7:45 am

Snooker wrote:Has there been much conflict between horseriders and mtbrs at Proud Lake? I'm from Akron/Cleveland Ohio, and we're currently pushing hard to open up the vast system of parklands in our area to mt. biking. Like the western detroit suburbs, there is a big population of horseriders. One of the concerns of land managers is the possible conflict that would be created.

In my experience over the last 2-3 years, no, there really hasn't been any conflict between equestrians, cyclists and hikers. Both bike and horse traffic is pretty low though. If you can, it's best to create separate trail systems. That will probably mean cyclists will have to build new trails. A lot of work, yes, but you'll get trails with better flow. Horse hooves chew up the trail tread and leave it rough so it feels like you're on cobblestones. Not to mention the manure. In your case, it might be necessary to share the trails for a time. If conflicts become an issue, that could provide the impetus for allowing mtn. bikers to build their own trails. Conflict to me doesn't mean people arguing with each other or an actual collision. If bikes and horses have frequent encounters on the trail, it increases the risk that a horse could become startled, which could be a safety issue for horse, rider and anyone nearby. Highland Rec Area is good example of separate trail systems working well.

On that note, Sunday, September 25, the equestrian group Proud Lake Trail Riders is having a Proud Lake/Kensington Tour the Trails Ride 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. If you ride that day, I'd suggest avoiding Proud Lake.
J/C

Postby Builder-Bill » September 16th, 2011, 1:17 pm

J/C wrote:
Snooker wrote:Has there been much conflict between horseriders and mtbrs at Proud Lake? I'm from Akron/Cleveland Ohio, and we're currently pushing hard to open up the vast system of parklands in our area to mt. biking. Like the western detroit suburbs, there is a big population of horseriders. One of the concerns of land managers is the possible conflict that would be created.

In my experience over the last 2-3 years, no, there really hasn't been any conflict between equestrians, cyclists and hikers. Both bike and horse traffic is pretty low though. If you can, it's best to create separate trail systems. That will probably mean cyclists will have to build new trails. A lot of work, yes, but you'll get trails with better flow. Horse hooves chew up the trail tread and leave it rough so it feels like you're on cobblestones. Not to mention the manure. In your case, it might be necessary to share the trails for a time. If conflicts become an issue, that could provide the impetus for allowing mtn. bikers to build their own trails. Conflict to me doesn't mean people arguing with each other or an actual collision. If bikes and horses have frequent encounters on the trail, it increases the risk that a horse could become startled, which could be a safety issue for horse, rider and anyone nearby. Highland Rec Area is good example of separate trail systems working well.

On that note, Sunday, September 25, the equestrian group Proud Lake Trail Riders is having a Proud Lake/Kensington Tour the Trails Ride 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. If you ride that day, I'd suggest avoiding Proud Lake.

Well said John.. We have had a good working relationship with the equestrians in Proud lake. We did asked for separate trails in Proud Lake, it was suported by local Park management, but was shot down by the DNR's higher up management.
If you can get a separate trail, that Great.... But if not... you can share.
Bill Hermann
Proud Lake, Milford TC.
Builder-Bill

Postby davedejonge » September 16th, 2011, 1:21 pm

I rode on sunday 9/11, just getting to this now.

I'd just like to offer a big thanks to those that cleared under the power lines on Loop1 So much nicer now. oh and on the section of loop 3 with the "3 moguls" very nice to have the brush cut back thru there.

1 tree down on west side of childs lake, bunch on the east side of 4. also trees down on 1 and 2 as well.
I think I need to take a ride with a chainsaw on my back. that said, I hear gun fire during the day back there now, so, maybe an orange shirt is good idea.
davedejonge

Postby Loren » September 16th, 2011, 7:02 pm

Yes, shared trail is definately better than no trail.

Still, one should note that Proud Lake gets significantly less traffic than other nearby, similar parks that have separate equestrian trails. It's just that equestrians and mountain bikers want very different things in their trails, and mountain bike trails built by mountain bikers for mountain bikers are much more rewarding.
Loren

Postby davedejonge » September 18th, 2011, 5:58 pm

Rode 1,2,3, & 4 this aft, all downed trees are now cleared.. passed 2 sets of hunters. Squirel season started ( or is it target practice season??) eitherway, wear bright colors.

edit*** thanks for the new path at the mud crossing between 1 and 2!!!!
davedejonge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions