MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Hermannator » July 26th, 2011, 10:52 am

Big tree down on loop three after the shooting range and before the cut-off to the railroad tracks. It took several other trees down with it. Will need a chain-saw.
Hermannator
 
Posts: 257
Joined: August 28th, 2007, 9:41 am
Location: Howell

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby washedout » July 26th, 2011, 11:15 am

Also a number of very large trees down on the last leg of loop 4 needs a big saw but in a small overall area.
And a real doozy on the 2nd to last leg of loop 4 will need professional help or a reroute.
Come to think of it, there was more than that we couldn't move, loop 4 is a bit of a disaster zone at the moment.
User avatar
washedout
 
Posts: 149
Joined: September 16th, 2005, 3:51 pm
Location: Highland, MI

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » July 28th, 2011, 7:58 am

Rode 1, 2 and 3 last night (and got fairly wet doing so..) There are trees down on all three that will likely require chainsawing. If anyone has a gas chainsaw and wants to help clear the trails, let me know and I will help (I only have an electric chainsaw).
Tree locations (putting these here so I don't forget or if someone wants to head out there and get them):
Loop 1: near the end just before the trail rejoins itself.
Loop 2: on the gravelly uphill close to the end
Loop 3: a viney tangle near the RR tracks a little bit after the start and several live trees down in about the middle(before the Wall).
John
Asst. Trail Coordinator
User avatar
J/C
 
Posts: 163
Joined: July 19th, 2003, 10:25 pm
Location: Milford

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby WICCMB » July 28th, 2011, 10:27 pm

J/C wrote:Rode 1, 2 and 3 last night (and got fairly wet doing so..) There are trees down on all three that will likely require chainsawing. If anyone has a gas chainsaw and wants to help clear the trails, let me know and I will help (I only have an electric chainsaw).
Tree locations (putting these here so I don't forget or if someone wants to head out there and get them):
Loop 1: near the end just before the trail rejoins itself.
Loop 2: on the gravelly uphill close to the end
Loop 3: a viney tangle near the RR tracks a little bit after the start and several live trees down in about the middle(before the Wall).
John
Asst. Trail Coordinator


John, I am away this weekend, otherwise I'd be happy to help. I rode tonight, and besides the trees you mention, there is also a tree down on Loop 4 - right at the bottom of the big washed out downhill, and there is already a hike-a-bike "reroute" forming going straight up to the right. On the section of Loop 4 on the other side of Child's Lake Rd that parallels the RR track (very close to the RR crossing), there are about 3 sizeable trees all in a row that will also need a chainsaw.
User avatar
WICCMB
Administrator
 
Posts: 4186
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 1:29 am
Location: Wixom, MI

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby daffunda » July 30th, 2011, 10:15 pm

I think we should have a trail day, but make the equestrians come also. It sux when the situation is a one way street leech.
~www.trails-edge.com~

DISCLAIMER: The posts I make or have made in the past are strictly MY OPINION, AKA my two cents, and NOT in ANY WAY opinions of the MMBA or its associates. It is recommended to take it for what it is worth, which is two cents.
User avatar
daffunda
 
Posts: 738
Joined: January 3rd, 2006, 8:33 pm

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » July 31st, 2011, 12:48 am

I tried to tackle some the trimming on Saturday. I'm borrowing the chapter's Power Scythe (weedwacker with a hedge trimmer head). I trimmed about half of loop 1 before running out of gas (started at Garden Rd and went backwards {CCW}). About half of what I trimmed needs to be raked; I raked some later during the day. The tree over the trail has been cut (by equestrians?) I plan to keep chipping away at all the loops this week.
Agree that the trail could use a trail day. I will talk with Bill and see what he thinks. But I'm busy every Saturday in August until the 27th...
User avatar
J/C
 
Posts: 163
Joined: July 19th, 2003, 10:25 pm
Location: Milford

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby specialized rider » August 6th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Can anyone tell me where the best place to park and get on the trail. Also how to follow the numbered signs (or letters) I forget. I have never rode here before. I have found both the Garden road parking and the main office parking by the hiking trls. I just wondering witch is the better for following the loops.
I want my Big Wheel back.
User avatar
specialized rider
 
Posts: 78
Joined: February 12th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Location: Walled Lake MI

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby WICCMB » August 7th, 2011, 12:04 am

specialized rider wrote:Can anyone tell me where the best place to park and get on the trail. Also how to follow the numbered signs (or letters) I forget. I have never rode here before. I have found both the Garden road parking and the main office parking by the hiking trls. I just wondering witch is the better for following the loops.


The official trail head is on Garden Rd, however the best parking really depends on where you are driving in from. Honestly it doesn't matter where you park. You *could* park at Trails Edge Milford, and just ride on over! 8)
User avatar
WICCMB
Administrator
 
Posts: 4186
Joined: June 21st, 2002, 1:29 am
Location: Wixom, MI

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Hermannator » August 8th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Big vine on a broken branch blocked the singletrack connector from the park to the paved trail (between the campground and Glengary Rd.). Couldn't break it off, but I was able to pull it back behind another tree, but it has some spring to it. It is safe for now, but if it rains it might slide back out on to the trail. Did not have a saw or clippers.
Hermannator
 
Posts: 257
Joined: August 28th, 2007, 9:41 am
Location: Howell

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby specialized rider » August 11th, 2011, 8:26 am

WishIcouldcatchmybreath wrote:
specialized rider wrote:Can anyone tell me where the best place to park and get on the trail. Also how to follow the numbered signs (or letters) I forget. I have never rode here before. I have found both the Garden road parking and the main office parking by the hiking trls. I just wondering witch is the better for following the loops.


The official trail head is on Garden Rd, however the best parking really depends on where you are driving in from. Honestly it doesn't matter where you park. You *could* park at Trails Edge Milford, and just ride on over! 8)

Thnx I will try the Garden rd Parking first. :D
I want my Big Wheel back.
User avatar
specialized rider
 
Posts: 78
Joined: February 12th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Location: Walled Lake MI

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » August 11th, 2011, 12:04 pm

You can park on either end of Garden Rd. - off of Wixom Rd or in the Horse Staging if you come from Milford.

Loop 1 has a tree across it, it's on the section paralleling Garden Rd. a little to the east of the gas line clearing. It's the top of a live cherry, could be cleared with a hand saw. Loop 2 has a couple trees across it as well.
User avatar
J/C
 
Posts: 163
Joined: July 19th, 2003, 10:25 pm
Location: Milford

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » August 13th, 2011, 4:08 pm

Loops 1, 2, and 3 are now cleared of fallen trees and are rideable without dismounting. I was able to cut everything with a hand saw. If you stop, watch out, the mosquitoes are fierce!

John, Asst. Trail Coordinator
User avatar
J/C
 
Posts: 163
Joined: July 19th, 2003, 10:25 pm
Location: Milford

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » August 19th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Spent some time trimming the thorns back on the powerline section of loop 1.
Rode L1, 4 and K connector - trails in good shape, thanks for the great maintenance this summer!
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
User avatar
Spinwheel
 
Posts: 1173
Joined: May 8th, 2003, 10:03 am
Location: SE Michigan Mountain Bike MECCA

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby specialized rider » August 21st, 2011, 1:16 am

I plan on going out to Proud Lake this morning around 10:30am if anyone is going to be out there to guide me around that would be great.:)
I want my Big Wheel back.
User avatar
specialized rider
 
Posts: 78
Joined: February 12th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Location: Walled Lake MI

Re: Metro South: Proud Lake

Postby specialized rider » August 21st, 2011, 12:58 pm

Ok went out and got lost, just kept following horse trail till I decided to quit. Definitely need a guided tour.
I want my Big Wheel back.
User avatar
specialized rider
 
Posts: 78
Joined: February 12th, 2011, 5:52 pm
Location: Walled Lake MI

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests