MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby J/C » August 17th, 2012, 10:12 am

Reminder Adventure Day is tomorrow, I don't expect much activity from the event to spill over into the bike and bridle trails. Thanks to everyone who's coming to help out. The park really appreciates that we're going to be there introducing kids to mountain biking. If you've got time, stop by the River Hawk area down towards the dam, we'll have the kids' trailer set up by the conference center and lodge. Weather should be great!
J/C

Postby DxSxL » August 18th, 2012, 8:29 pm

I just wanted to give a big thank you to the group that was out there today! My kids had a blast, and my son said the mountain biking was his favorite part......thanks for stoking his interest! It's going to be fun having a new riding partner!
DxSxL

Postby Spinwheel » August 18th, 2012, 9:28 pm

DxSxL wrote:I just wanted to give a big thank you to the group that was out there today! My kids had a blast, and my son said the mountain biking was his favorite part......thanks for stoking his interest! It's going to be fun having a new riding partner!

I was there also with my son - we did the archery and learned some things..
There were over 1000 people there John said.

Trimmed up L1 a few days ago, thorns are cut back for now.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby J/C » August 19th, 2012, 10:19 am

We had a great turnout for the bike demo at Adventure Day yesterday. At least 100 particpants. Thanks to Bill, Scott and Otto for helping out. We were busy the whole day, 10 am to about 4:30 pm, taking the kids out around the Marsh Trail, about 1.3 mi, one group after another. There were a significant number of adults, too. The kids did great, only a few minor spills, no injuries.

I passed out ten copies of the MCMBA brochure with our trails listed, would have been good to have more but I didn't want to make too many full color printouts at work.

Below is a chart I created from the liability waivers everyone filled out.

J/C

Postby J/C » August 19th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Just rode Loops 1, 2, 3 and 4 to connector. All clear and fast. Loop 2, I got a pretty good scare, surprised two roosting vultures, one went sideways, the other came straight down the trail corridor back at me, flying low. I slammed on the brakes and hugged the top tube, he flapped past, two feet above me.
J/C

Postby Spinwheel » September 4th, 2012, 9:26 pm

I'm seeing evidence of vehicles driving west from the horse staging area by Garden Rd. toward the Loop2 "entrance" ... seems to be an issue since the 4x4 incident this summer -when someone moved one of the boulders by the porta-john so they now have access to the field and begining of L2 ...
Rode 80% of all 4 loops - and did more pruning. Saw 6 bikes and no horses and no vultures or wild turkeys, but plenty of horse du. Loops are in great shape.
One word describes the Campground to Ranger Station dirt road: sand... and its all good.
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Postby J/C » September 6th, 2012, 7:34 am

Tree down on Loop 4 climbing to the connector. Not hazardous, but it's a bigger one, I'll see what I can do about it this weekend. Tim, I'll talk to the park about the vehicle traffic, I've noticed it too. Not sure why they didn't put the rock back in place.

Kensington connector is in good shape.

John
J/C

Postby J/C » September 6th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Rode 1, 2, 3, and 4 to connector, good except for tree mentioned above and another small tree near the start of Loop 3. If anyone feels like helping, a folding hand saw would take care of it. Not a big deal, easy to ride around.

In support of our trail separation proposal, I think it might help if we logged our rides on Strava. It was suggested that the proposal contain statistics of trail use, how many people bike and horseback. In Strava, once a segment is created, it will tell you "ridden X times by Y people." You don't need the strava app, any smartphone with GPS should work. I have a Blackberry and use the free app GPS Logger II, export the ride as a .gpx, and upload that from a PC.
When I finish putting together the report, I'll take screenshots of all 4 loops and include that as supporting data. See example below.
J/C

Postby mwilson7 » September 6th, 2012, 9:13 pm

I think gather statistics is a great idea but unfortunately not a whole lot of people use Strava so your statistics would show that the trail has a much lower use rate vs the actual use. According to Strava the Milford Trail, which has a MUCH higher usage rate vs Proud Lake has any had 48 individuals log over 211 rides since March. I know that i've seen over 10 people at the trail head at one time on a single day. The other problem with Strava is that there are lots of variables when trying to determine how many people use a certain area. I always come in to Proud Lake from the Kensington connector so my rides don't show up on the 1,2,3,4 ride that has been set up from the Garden St parking lot. We would probably be better off doing exactly what you did which is just set up at the trail somewhere and count the number of people that go by. You could even go further and stop them and ask them to tell you how often they ride and how many people they ride with.

If we trimmed branches or improved the trail while we were at it all the better!

Let me know how I can help......
Mark
mwilson7

Postby Gfish29 » September 7th, 2012, 8:30 pm

Cool idea about Strava, but mwilson is right. From the shorter segments (the climbs on 3 & 4), you can see there are currently only 20-22 of us that use Strava. I think a lot of us pass through Proud Lake going towards Highland/Milford/Kensington and sometimes don't hit the full loop, so using shorter segments would be key. I've done that climb on loop 3 about 16 times this year, so you can count me in for any future trail projects. I would love to help us own a trail in there.
Gfish29

Postby J/C » September 8th, 2012, 6:27 pm

OK, OK, everyone is right about Strava and statistics and how it won't be representative. We can include things like participation in Milford Trail Challenge, Proud Lake Adventure Day, SMAC events, etc. I still suggest everyone join Strava. I figure all the fast guys are on there already and if some slower folks joined, it'd make my slowish times look better. 7th out of 50 sounds a lot better than 7 out of 20.
just kidding, John
J/C

Postby Hermannator » September 9th, 2012, 8:02 pm

I agree totally with the collecting of data to show trail usage at Proud Lake. Might I suggest a Google Doc or an online input for people to self-report their usage? Strava would be great if I had some device that would track my GPS data (I have a dumb phone). I am sure I am not the only one in this situation.
Hermannator

Postby Loren » September 9th, 2012, 8:13 pm

I've looked at trail traffic counters for the chapter. Some of them are pretty cool little boxes that you can bury next to a trail and come back up to a year later and download time and date for every bike that's passed. But, they are pricy, and they would only count bikes, not hikers, not horses.

For much less money, a game camera could be used to capture images of any trail users. Someone would have to periodically watch the images and manually tally the counts, but that sort of solution might be best for a place like Proud Lake where we would want to log all users.
Loren

Postby Builder-Bill » September 9th, 2012, 9:35 pm

J/C wrote:Tree down on Loop 4 climbing to the connector. Not hazardous, but it's a bigger one, I'll see what I can do about it this weekend. Tim, I'll talk to the park about the vehicle traffic, I've noticed it too. Not sure why they didn't put the rock back in place.

Kensington connector is in good shape.

John

I cut the fallen tree's out tonight. The trail is all clear and in great shape.
Bill
Builder-Bill

Postby davedejonge » September 12th, 2012, 8:31 am

Loren wrote:I've looked at trail traffic counters for the chapter. Some of them are pretty cool little boxes that you can bury next to a trail and come back up to a year later and download time and date for every bike that's passed. But, they are pricy, and they would only count bikes, not hikers, not horses.

For much less money, a game camera could be used to capture images of any trail users. Someone would have to periodically watch the images and manually tally the counts, but that sort of solution might be best for a place like Proud Lake where we would want to log all users.

If your serious about that I would be happy to monitor the camera... ( I don't have one, so that would need to be supplied, anyone one got one to borrow?)
I live on the trail (loop 3) so it would be easy for me to check on it regularly.

issues... Privacy concerns, and theft of the camera.

Dave
davedejonge

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments