MCMBA: Proud Lake

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

MCMBA: Proud Lake

Postby Todd Scott » October 4th, 2005, 7:45 am

Post trail conditions and problem reports for the trails at Proud Lake State Recreation Area in Commerce Township

rockymtn wrote:I noticed the title of this is Commerce & Proud Lake. Are there trails being planned or already open at Proud Lake? I thought they only allowed hiking and XC Skiing.

The trails west of Wixom Road are open to mountain biking. I've never ridden them but most people report them not being too enjoyable. I thought that since they're open to us, I should put them in the Trail Guide. http://www.mmba.org/trails.php?trail=80

About 10 years ago, the MMBA's Bud Pell submitted a proposal for new mountain bike trails at Proud Lake. They were to be a bit wider and more accessible than others. It was approved at the local level but turned down by DNR Stewardship.
Last edited by Todd Scott on January 4th, 2007, 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Todd Scott

Postby rockymtn » October 4th, 2005, 8:11 am

Cool, thx for the reply. Even if they aren't great, it is always fun to explore new places. How great would it be if we could cut through the park east of Wixom Rd creating a connector btw Commerce and Kensington/Island Lake
Miles commuted to work - 890
my blog
rockymtn

Postby FrankenFuel95 » October 4th, 2005, 8:18 am

I tried them(the horse trails) last year and they were in my opinion, unridable. With zero trail maintenance, there's a lot of dead fall and horse crap. No fun, just aggrevation.

Regards,
Larry
Regards,
Larry

SUCCESS
Do whatever it is you choose to do as well as you can possibly do it.
-From a calendar hanging on my cubicle wall.

ENOUGH!
FrankenFuel95

Postby Todd Scott » October 4th, 2005, 9:24 am

Larry: I've incorporated your comments into the Trail Guide to lower other people's expectations for the trail.

Are the trails worth maintaining? Is this the SE chapter might want to consider?

Rockymtn: The Lakes Community trail will eventually connect Proud Lake and Hickory Glen with Kensington to the west and the West Bloomfield trail to the east.
Todd Scott

Postby FrankenFuel95 » October 4th, 2005, 9:46 am

Are the trails worth maintaining? Is this the SE chapter might want to consider?

Todd,

That's a tough question. While I'm all for expanding the amount of single track in SE Michigan I'm not sure if the investment in time would provide a good return to the MTB community. We should go out and walk it sometime in our big rubber boots. :shock: :lol:

Regards,
Larry
Regards,
Larry

SUCCESS

ENOUGH!
FrankenFuel95

Postby old_nhjeffs » October 4th, 2005, 9:59 am

Apps wrote:I rode Commerce last night. Great job out there Tim and Jeff...the trail is in good shape and I really like the armoring you did in the perennial wet spot out there.....it definitely made a huge difference in that area....

Justin

Thanks. Tim has used his chainsaw out there alot lately. There has been alot of down trees within the last month or so.

Jamie, Rockymtn, did the armoring in the mud hole down by the river. He moved alot of broken cement by himself and it's worked out great.
Jeff
old_nhjeffs

Postby Spinwheel » October 4th, 2005, 6:10 pm

Todd Scott wrote:Larry: I've incorporated your comments into the Trail Guide to lower other people's expectations for the trail.

Rockymtn: The Lakes Community trail will eventually connect Proud Lake and Hickory Glen with Kensington to the west and the West Bloomfield trail to the east.

I second Larry's comments, the Proud Lake "Bike and Bridle" trails (as they're called on the Proud Lake trail map) stink (literally). I would not consider building or maintaining any bike trails that are shared with horses. From what I saw and rode, these are really "horse trails."

Tim
Tim
TC, Hickory Glen Park - Commerce Twp.
Spinwheel

Trail day at THE HICK

Postby Spinwheel » October 14th, 2005, 9:22 pm

We'll have a trailday in the next few weeks (before the ground freeze) to replace 3 carsonite ground markers that disappeared :wink: earlier this year - located near the cell tower.

Also, looking at installing 3 or 4 "choke points" :evil: at a few spots on the trail seeing motorized traffic :evil: ...

Will post more details and date as things firm up.. the date will likely be a Sunday due to Jeff's schedule.

Mike is helping with approvals.

Anyone interested in helping for any amount of time, please PM me. I am sure we can use some extra muscle for the concrete/post hole digger and auger I plan to rent... :D

Thanks!

Tim
Tim
Spinwheel

Really Fun Trail !

Postby SANTA_CRUZ » October 15th, 2005, 1:08 pm

I just rode this trail for the second time this fall and really enjoyed myself.
Since I was more familiar with the layout and flow, I rode it at speed and had a blast riding this little jem. Nothing technically difficult, but with twisty/tight trees and enough little surprizes to keep it interesting. Great job to whomever made this trail and maintains it, it has a nice flow and feel to it. Like all the other trails in the Southeast area, it has it's very own personallity. It could use a few more optional tech/stunt areas.
I give it 4 stars ! Ride two or three loops for full effect !
I will bring a few friends next time.

Keep up the great work !
Santa Cruz 8)
I love mountain biking because I haven't found anything that is more FUN !!
Of all the paths you choose in life....make sure some of them are DIRT !!

Commuting miles in 2012 = 1065
Total road/trail miles = 2800
Number of rides = 152
Trails ridden = 28 different in MI, 2 in Oregon
SANTA_CRUZ

new berm installed on trail

Postby rockymtn » October 31st, 2005, 4:37 pm

Just a heads up to those who ride at The Hick. There is a new berm installed on the U-turn curve at the southwest most part of the trail. Just past the cell tower.

It may still be a little loose as it needs some moisture and traffic to pack it down. Should be fun when it settles in, you will be able to carry alot more speed around that turn.
my blog
rockymtn

Re: new berm installed on trail

Postby Spinwheel » November 1st, 2005, 12:01 pm

rockymtn wrote:Just a heads up to those who ride at The Hick. There is a new berm installed on the U-turn curve at the southwest most part of the trail. Just past the cell tower.

It may still be a little loose as it needs some moisture and traffic to pack it down. Should be fun when it settles in, you will be able to carry alot more speed around that turn.

Rockmtn, Its a fine berm, in fact, I hear its the CAT's MEOW :D

And wasn't it a thrill hanging the "No Motor Vehicles" signage with half a dozen 4-wheelers motoring about? Do ya think those posts are gone by now??????
Tim
Spinwheel

I'm getting confused between the Hick and Proud Lake

Postby bheldke » November 3rd, 2005, 12:59 pm

Isn't the Hick, Hickory Glen? If so, it's got it's own page. How do I get to the Proud Lake trailhead?
bennie
bheldke

Re: I'm getting confused between the Hick and Proud Lake

Postby FrankenFuel95 » November 3rd, 2005, 1:15 pm

bheldke wrote:Isn't the Hick, Hickory Glen? If so, it's got it's own page. How do I get to the Proud Lake trailhead?

It's on Wixom Rd. Go to the park ranger shed and get a map. Please report back what condition these "horse trails" are in.

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo.aspx?id=487

From what I remember, the trailhead is south of the ranger shed on the west side of Wixom Rd.
Regards,
Larry

SUCCESS

ENOUGH!
FrankenFuel95

Re: I'm getting confused between the Hick and Proud Lake

Postby Spinwheel » November 3rd, 2005, 3:22 pm

TrekFuel95Guy wrote:
bheldke wrote:Isn't the Hick, Hickory Glen? If so, it's got it's own page. How do I get to the Proud Lake trailhead?

It's on Wixom Rd. Go to the park ranger shed and get a map. Please report back what condition these "horse trails" are in.

http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/ParksandTrailsInfo.aspx?id=487

From what I remember, the trailhead is south of the ranger shed on the west side of Wixom Rd.

Last week I rode about a mile of a Proud Lake trail marked "loop 1" - I accessed it off of Garden Rd.. but I rode to the trail, so am not sure where parking is located..

It was ok for a horse trail :wink: I only hit a few land mines :shock:

Also, there is a map posted on this web site => http://www.michigandnr.com/Publications ... ke_map.pdf

Don't expect the same type of experience at Proud Lake that you have at Hickory Glen Park... but you may like it nonetheless.

Happy trails,

Tim
Tim
Spinwheel

Proud Lake trail was sweet last night.

Postby rockymtn » September 6th, 2006, 7:47 am

I rode the western parts of the horse trails at Proud Lake, btw Childs Lake Rd and the river and it was sweet! The trail had only a few land mines that could be ridden around and was super buff. Someone has cut back the bushes and grass and there are only a few logs that cannot be ridden. The trail is packed down and super flowy with lots of short steep climbs. It is only 3-4 miles long but worthwhile if you are doing a backroads ride in the area.

The best way to enter the trail is off Childs Lk Rd. There is a parking area on the east side of the road, ride through the gate and down the road and look for the trail on your left, then once on it follow the horse trail signs.
my blog
rockymtn

Next

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments