Western: Edwards Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Edwards Creek

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 13th, 2010, 10:35 am

gtrowbridge wrote:
bignlow wrote:First real ride on a Mtn Bike in a couple years and what a disappointment.
Whoever is in charge of the trail now "WHY". It use to be tight, techincal and challenging, now it is easy, smooth and kind of boring.
You no longer need a real Mtn Bike to ride this trail. Jump on the cruiser ride on the Meijer trail go to the dirt trail then go home.
What's the purpose of labeling any trail difficulties when you put a bypass on everthing, that is stupid.
The trail condition is good and the flies weren't bad at all but the challenge is gone.
Amazing how a few years and a coule people can ruin a great trail, it's a real shame.

This trail is no longer worth the trip to ride, too bad it's so close.

Bypasses allow more people with different skill levels to ride the trail = less maintenance = more interest = more political clout with the city parks or DNR = more trails.
If you don't like taking the easier bypass and want more of a challenge...then don't take the bypass.

IMHO this still ranks as the most technical trail in West MI and is a great example of a hard work by the TC and other volunteers.

For you maybe. Why do we care if theres more trails if they're all beginner level. I'm all for getting more people into the sport, or into riding at least. But not at the expense of those that have been riding these trails there whole life. If they dont like the obstacles they should stick to dirt roads.
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby cramer » August 13th, 2010, 11:52 am

Shortcuts around technical challenges will always be there. They can either be designed and built properly by people putting the trail in or they will "build themselves" haphazardly by people riding the trail, as seen at CSGA, either way they have no effect on people wishing to ride the technical challenge as they are still free to do so.
cramer

Postby G.R.XC-MTNBKR » August 13th, 2010, 12:34 pm

cramer wrote:Shortcuts around technical challenges will always be there. They can either be designed and built properly by people putting the trail in or they will "build themselves" haphazardly by people riding the trail, as seen at CSGA, either way they have no effect on people wishing to ride the technical challenge as they are still free to do so.

agreed. i'd rather have shortcuts around obstacles then none at all. :(
Ride or Die
Just Ride
Specialized SL Pro
G.R.XC-MTNBKR

Postby T-rex » August 13th, 2010, 2:28 pm

I'd agree with Bignlow on the trail getting "dumbed down." This trail used to be very challenging, there was a large variety of obstacles, both natural and built and it seems within the past year especially that a lot of the natural obstacles have been either removed or "eased." Roots chopped out or covered, tight squeezes removed, tight switchback climbs broadened because someone got winded or couldn't climb them. I'm all for the bypasses (as I think Bignlow is as well) it opens up that challenge to those who might not be comfortable riding it, that's fine. But when a said challenge is eased or removed, we've lost a part of what was a great trail in it's early years. And I'm sorry, but the comment by another poster about more political clout with the city parks or DNR is a load of BS. They aren't out there doing a *beep* thing, never have, never will, at least at EC! They are benefiting though from the hard work of a few by bringing more people to the area to ride a challenging trail (or at least it used to be.) I think the TC needs to decide what type of trail EC is going to be and leave it at that. A challenge like it was or just another trail, like the majority of them.
T-rex

Postby watergod1 » August 17th, 2010, 9:50 pm

I do agree that that trail has lost some of the technical elements but most of that is due to not people not being able to ride it but because of erosion or the lose of material it was built upon. I would love if we actually had trail work days again so that people could go out there and fix things that need to be fixed not just take them out if they can be saved. My opinion is that trail days should be organized again, stunts should be put back in and hey don't complain get involved. All trails evolve some not how you want but don't whin about it call people and fix it.
watergod1

Postby volklgirl » August 18th, 2010, 12:52 am

Several of us have offered to help out. In fact, as far as I know, I'm still on the notification list for trail days and I've gotten nothing in 2 years, nor has their website been updated in ages.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby watergod1 » August 18th, 2010, 8:32 pm

I know their hasn't been much done in the way of getting people other than a few out to work on the trail. I do wish that they would contact people to have their say as to how the trail should evolve.
watergod1

Postby Mark H. » August 29th, 2010, 8:25 am

It's been since late spring that I've been out there, had a ball & glad to see the big teeter totter back up, & love the new man man hill at the end that makes you think your going to hit the big tree branch but it's dug out on the back side so you go low enough to miss it. I see lots of reroutes & some of the trail that goes by the creek & road has been taken out, is this because of erosion?
Love this trail, thanks for all the hard work put into it!
Mark H.

Postby bockrona » April 4th, 2011, 9:43 am

I very much enjoyed your trail a number of times last year, and intend to ride there this year also.

Is it ready? Or still too wet?
Anderson Park TC

Redline d660
1999 Schwinn Peloton
1980 Schwinn LeTour
1994 Bridgestone MB-4
bockrona

Postby T-rex » April 4th, 2011, 10:03 am

I rode there Saturday night and 98% of trail was in rideable condition. A few spots in the low areas that I walked around due to some mud and not wanting to rut the trail. With the heavy rains we had last night I'd wait until things dried up more.

Needs a good cleaning, lots of tree litter from the winter but no major limbs down that made the trail impassable.
T-rex

Postby yamaha13 » April 4th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Does anyone know of a planned trail day? This is a fun little place to ride if you have never been there you should plan on doing both of the Greenville courses on the same day. They're about 2 miles apart.
yamaha13

Postby T-rex » April 4th, 2011, 6:39 pm

I can't remember when the last trail day was, I know when I was the TC we'd have them pretty frequently. I'd be interested in doing another one as well, and by the sounds of it, there are a fair number of volunteers just from this forum alone that would be willing to pitch in. It certainly needs it a good cleaning and some trimming as well as some of the structures tended to and a few areas finished up. I'd think if we had 6-12 people we could be wrapped up in 4-6 hours. I'll try to contact Richard Ranney, he's the TC, but the number listed is the Rec. Dept. and they have nothing to do with trail maint. If I can get a hold of him I'll post an update on this forum.

T
T-rex

Postby watergod1 » April 7th, 2011, 11:03 pm

T-rex why don't we just organize a trail day ourselves. It does seem that the trail has lost some of it's glory but before we try to add any new obstacles remember we would need to get approval from the city. I am definitely able to work and I am heading out there Friday to do some work on some of the bridges and such.
watergod1

Postby T-rex » April 8th, 2011, 7:11 am

We could certainly do one ourselves. Maybe next weekend if the weather permits. I rode it last night again and there is a tree that needs to be removed around the 5.5 mile mark, behind the Ballfield/Comm. Center. Could use a light raking and a lot of picking up as well as structure maintenance.

IF ANYONE HAS THE DESIRE AND TIME FOR A TRAIL DAY RESPOND ON THIS FORUM. I could do next Sunday, AP 17th, maybe 10-2. If we had enough help it would be a half day job. Bring a yard rake, pruners, saw if you have one. We could meet at the trailhead kiosk and divide the workers to a section.
T-rex

Postby Longdaddy » April 8th, 2011, 7:59 pm

I ride E.C. a couple times a week and I owe that trail at least a few hours of work. Outside of picking up trash on my rides, I've never done any trail work. 10 next Sunday works for me. I've got rakes, pruners, shovels, etc.....
Longdaddy

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments