Western: Edwards Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Western: Edwards Creek

Postby watergod1 » July 26th, 2009, 10:23 pm

It makes me a little upset when people say trails are advanced just because they have killer climbs. I have rode a lot of trails in lower michigan and if you are considering trails advanced not on climbs but bike handling skills I would say edwards creek and burchfield have to be at the top. Climbs don't make a trail advanced bike handling skills do.
watergod1

Postby gtrowbridge » November 8th, 2009, 9:47 pm

Haven't ridden this trail in for-ever. Forgot how technical it was and a mental challenge.
I agree with volklgirl the re-routes are great. And so many more bridges. Cool stuff.
Thanks to whoever blew off the leaves on the advanced course.
The intermediate before it was hit or miss if I could see/find the trail or not.
I really need to do this trail more (and so should everyone else!) since it is so close.

If I'm sick of working and need some trail therapy...that counts towards sick time right?

G
gtrowbridge

Postby RickPlite » March 13th, 2010, 7:02 pm

trails too wet. Please avoid right now
Last edited by RickPlite on May 11th, 2010, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Western: Edwards Creek

Postby T-rex » March 28th, 2010, 9:47 pm

Edwards Creek is in great shape right now and riding very well. The trail is dry and clear. Get out and ride!

One "wish" would be for the trail to stay as is. The crew has been doing a great job keeping it cleared and in top form but there have been several modifications over the past year that have made this trail easier. EC has a reputation for being a challenging & technical trail. I don't mean to complain, I know the massive amounts of work and the struggles of trying to make everyone happy with the trail, but this trail shouldn't be eased any more. Just my 2 cents.
T-rex

Postby bockrona » May 4th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Rode your trail today and really liked it. So much that I did it twice.

I'll be back.

Thank you.
bockrona

Postby gtrowbridge » May 11th, 2010, 7:30 pm

A friend who lives in Greenville said the teeter was blocked by logs and debris and maybe even some caution tape(?).
Is this true?
Reason?
Ionia State Recreation Area Trail Coordinator
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby Longdaddy » May 13th, 2010, 6:28 am

Yes, it's been blocked off with a stump and caution tape for a few weeks now . Don't know why though. The smaller teeter is still open. Maybe it needs to be fixed/rebuilt?
Longdaddy

Postby gtrowbridge » May 20th, 2010, 7:36 pm

TC please IM me about how you have implemented and manage the 1/2 mile adopt a trail for EC.
I'd like to put this plan in front of the DNR at Ionia.
Thanks.
"They say that the journey can be more important than the destination. In Mountain biking there is no destination. Just the bike. The rider. And a place to ride." - Roam
gtrowbridge

Postby watergod1 » June 26th, 2010, 9:59 pm

Made it in 47 minutes doing all the obstacles, best I've done so far this year, still not my best but getting there. The new what I call "roller coaster hills" near the end is awesome!!!! One suggestion I know the reason for reroutes because of erosion and such but could we please try to keep the original concept, tight and technical, instead of trying to straighten everything out. The trail isn't Egypt valley let's not move it from an advanced trail to an intermediate. If you need any help with either trail in Greenville let me know. For the most part the trail improvements are great.
watergod1

Postby volklgirl » July 18th, 2010, 11:55 pm

I just rode it again today and was disappointed in some of the changes of late. Good riddance to the sandy downhill, left turn and sharp uphill near the early berms, and it was nice to see more flow in the swoopy section by the little park at the road, but most of the other changes were a bit lame. What happened to Danger Tee Pee? Why the splitting of the long bridge in the back swamp? I think I get the removal of the entrance to the big tree bridge (erosion/wash out of the tile, I'd guess), but the new kicker underneath the hanging tree right at the end is down-right dangerous if you don't know it's there! The rest of the new armoring and filling-in with sand was spot-on, though.
Cadillac Pathway TC & NMMBA Treasurer
2012 Trail Work Hours = 12
Image Stupidity SHOULD be painful!!
2012 Miles
29er=222.9, SS=7.86, Commuter=96.6, Geared=0, Jekyll=25.5, Super V=41.4, Roadie=0
volklgirl

Postby bignlow » August 11th, 2010, 6:12 am

First real ride on a Mtn Bike in a couple years and what a disappointment.
Whoever is in charge of the trail now "WHY". It use to be tight, techincal and challenging, now it is easy, smooth and kind of boring.
You no longer need a real Mtn Bike to ride this trail. Jump on the cruiser ride on the Meijer trail go to the dirt trail then go home.
What's the purpose of labeling any trail difficulties when you put a bypass on everthing, that is stupid.
The trail condition is good and the flies weren't bad at all but the challenge is gone.
Amazing how a few years and a coule people can ruin a great trail, it's a real shame.

This trail is no longer worth the trip to ride, too bad it's so close.
bignlow

Postby gtrowbridge » August 11th, 2010, 7:28 am

bignlow wrote:First real ride on a Mtn Bike in a couple years and what a disappointment.
Whoever is in charge of the trail now "WHY". It use to be tight, techincal and challenging, now it is easy, smooth and kind of boring.
You no longer need a real Mtn Bike to ride this trail. Jump on the cruiser ride on the Meijer trail go to the dirt trail then go home.
What's the purpose of labeling any trail difficulties when you put a bypass on everthing, that is stupid.
The trail condition is good and the flies weren't bad at all but the challenge is gone.
Amazing how a few years and a coule people can ruin a great trail, it's a real shame.

Bypasses allow more people with different skill levels to ride the trail = less maintenance = more interest = more political clout with the city parks or DNR = more trails.
If you don't like taking the easier bypass and want more of a challenge...then don't take the bypass.

IMHO this still ranks as the most technical trail in West MI and is a great example of a hard work by the TC and other volunteers.
gtrowbridge

Postby trout_smith » August 11th, 2010, 8:15 am

bignlow wrote:First real ride on a Mtn Bike in a couple years and what a disappointment.

You live in Greenville... and it's not worth the trip? It's worth the 45 minute drive for me.

This is a great trail for what it is. Many sections have become "ridden in". This happens to all new trails and most people understand that it's a good thing. Like Trowbridge said, this trail is as hard as you want to make it. Why are you riding bypasses if you don't like them? And if you're not riding them, why do you care?
The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Postby bignlow » August 13th, 2010, 7:15 am

Your right, I shouldn't say worth the trip. If your just getting into riding or you have little kids this is the perfect trail, but face it this trail is nothing like it was 5 years ago.

I know this is happening everywhere but its really bad on this trail where there might be a difficult section that someone can't
do or is having trouble accomplishing so they take it out, cover it up or bypass it. Lets not try to improve our abilities, god that would take effort but instead get rid of it because thats the easy way out.
The perfect example: Section next to Kent road east side to the center, crazy amount of roots EVERYWHERE. This was a blast to go through it took balance and patience what did someone do, brought in dirt and covered it up because it was hard. But my absolute favorite obstical, the skinny across the creek is gone and why, there was a bridge right next to it.
bignlow

Postby trout_smith » August 13th, 2010, 8:34 am

bignlow wrote:Your right, I shouldn't say worth the trip. If your just getting into riding or you have little kids this is the perfect trail, but face it this trail is nothing like it was 5 years ago.

I know this is happening everywhere but its really bad on this trail where there might be a difficult section that someone can't
do or is having trouble accomplishing so they take it out, cover it up or bypass it. Lets not try to improve our abilities, god that would take effort but instead get rid of it because thats the easy way out.
The perfect example: Section next to Kent road east side to the center, crazy amount of roots EVERYWHERE. This was a blast to go through it took balance and patience what did someone do, brought in dirt and covered it up because it was hard. But my absolute favorite obstical, the skinny across the creek is gone and why, there was a bridge right next to it.

Based on those two specifics I see your point. No reason for either to be removed or covered up.

I thought you were just railing on the fact that there are ride-arounds. Ride-arounds are nice because I can go biking with my family and they aren't forced to ride all the stunts, and I can ride all I want.
The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments