Western: Edwards Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Riding EC backwards

Postby T-rex » November 10th, 2008, 6:07 pm

Bigs, I second that motion. EC is a great trail backwards, several of the berms and a couple of the stunts, in my opinion, ride better backwards.

It makes it feel like a new trail, especially for the locals who ride it all the time.
T-rex

Postby trout_smith » November 24th, 2008, 7:48 am

Edwards is in good shape. Did a couple of laps yesterday. A couple of spots got slick as the day warmed above freezing, but most of the trail is without snow and frozen.

Warning: Someone built up and increased the angle of the downhill concrete jump... the one that is just after the concrete rock garden along the road. You can't see that it's different until you hit it. I flipped my bike and biffed hard.

Ride it before it's deep in snow!
The Motion Initative

"If you're going to be stupid, you better be tough." - Some crazy old coot from "Up North"
trout_smith

Re: Western: Edwards Creek

Postby John_H » April 10th, 2009, 10:19 am

How's the trail conditions? Should it be listed as open?
John_H

Postby T-rex » April 22nd, 2009, 6:04 pm

I did both EC and Shearer Rd before the rain the past couple of days. Both trails are in great shape. Especially Shearer Rd, you can tell their getting ready for the race on Ap 30.
T-rex

Postby TrailBomber88 » April 23rd, 2009, 2:42 pm

Both Edwards Creek and Shearer RD were in great condition around 2 today! 4/23
TrailBomber88

Postby Bigtymer » May 25th, 2009, 5:20 pm

Rode the creek today. I love all the obstacles at this trail! The trail is in great condition. Its a fun trail when you're looking for some off camber riding! I wish cberg ski area would incorporate a litte bit of EC into its trail system.
Bigtymer

Postby 1Trax » June 7th, 2009, 8:22 pm

Rode this afternoon and trail is in great shape. I only get up there a couple times a year and today was the first time this year, this place always makes me smile. Took some pictures to try to convince some of my riding buddies to make the hour and a half trip. That way I can be a little more brave with some of the wooden obstacles I wimp out on when I'm alone.
1Trax

Postby gtrowbridge » June 11th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Rode this for the first time yesterday. Kudos to the designers and maintainers. This is an awesome trail system. I love all the banked turns and whoop-de-doos. Only issue I had was at one intersection there is a "bypass" sign that is upside down so I didn't know which way to go and walked a little way down each before "I think" I figured it out (hope I didn't miss anything). There is one small sapling that is hanging over the trail but if you are quick with your hands you can push it out of the way as you are coming through and never loose stride.
In the "skinnys" on the expert part I made good use of the trees near the trail that I could get my hand around, either to pull myself through or to pivot around a slow turn. Worked great because when I almost lost my momentum I had a tree to grab on to and never touched the ground with my feet. Tricky though.
The obstacles are great and I only bypassed a couple. One because I didn't see it in time to get setup for it, and another because it looked like it was missing logs and I was pretty sure I would endo on it.
My absolute favorite was the teeter. I've never done one of those before and that was the coolest sensation.

Did the Fred Meijer trail afterwards down in to Tower park and all the way around Baldwin Lake for a cool down ride.

Now that I am one of the many MI unemployed I'll be doing EC just about every week I think. Why not?
gtrowbridge

Postby Bigtymer » June 11th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Rode the creek today. All the obstacles are in great condition. I ran into a couple deer in the expert red loop. They stood about five feet from my bike, and didn't seem bothered by my presence at all. Love riding the creek.
Bigtymer

Postby johnhugo71 » June 15th, 2009, 10:43 am

Rode out there for the first time saturday, what a BLAST! Rode all the sections, you guys who designed that trail must be sadistic, seriously, how many more short, steep climbs can you fit in there? :) all the skinny's and elevated stuff were total blast. had the same thing with a deer, i had to about shoo him off the trail or I would have hit it!

seriously though, kudo's to the guys who designed and maintain that trail. i felt like i was at cedar point.

i've wanted to get up there but never made it for a couple of years and now can't wait till the next time!
johnhugo71

Postby volklgirl » June 20th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Don't forget to hit the paved connector and zip over to Shearer Rd trail for a "cool down" lap before heading home, too!
volklgirl

Postby gtrowbridge » June 23rd, 2009, 1:22 pm

<cough cough spit spit> Got the spider webs cleaned off the trail this morning.
Trail is in good shape. A few small mud holes, half the size of a tire diameter, but no big deal. Plenty of mosquitoes if you stop...so keep moving!

Word of warning. I have ridden this trail during the week in the morning more than once now. There is a woman that apparently likes to walk her big red golden retriever off-leash on the trail during this time. IF you encounter this dog it WILL charge you on your bike every time no matter how many times you see it out there (I encountered them twice today). It will not bite, but the charge is enough to make you nervous. She makes little to no effort to call the dog off. The effort she puts into it consists of talking quiet baby talk to the dog. As a dog owner this ticks me off. If my dog ever did that it would be...well...in the dog house. :-)
gtrowbridge

Postby baldwin » July 6th, 2009, 12:02 pm

There is a woman that apparently likes to walk her big red golden retriever off-leash on the trail during this time. IF you encounter this dog it WILL charge you on your bike every time no matter how many times you see it out there (I encountered them twice today). It will not bite, but the charge is enough to make you nervous. She makes little to no effort to call the dog off. The effort she puts into it consists of talking quiet baby talk to the dog. As a dog owner this ticks me off. If my dog ever did that it would be...well...in the dog house. :-)

Carry a can of mace and give the dog a snort of that. It's a shame the dog has to suffer for its owner's rudeness and idiocy, but it will probably only take once.

I rode this trail yesterday (July 5th) and it's in nice shape. The trail guide says it's "Advanced" but I wouldn't rate it any more than "Intermediate," despite a few interesting and fun obstacles. For example, there is not one serious climb on the trail. I don't mean that to denigrate the great work that's gone into making this complex and interesting trail -- there's a lot of cool trail packed into a fairly small space there! -- but only to warn others that if you go expecting challenges like Potowatomi and Big "M" (truly advanced trails in Michigan) or even Yankee Springs (advanced, but less so), you'll be disappointed.
baldwin

Postby gtrowbridge » July 6th, 2009, 12:41 pm

baldwin wrote:
There is a woman that apparently likes to walk her big red golden retriever off-leash on the trail during this time. IF you encounter this dog it WILL charge you on your bike every time no matter how many times you see it out there (I encountered them twice today). It will not bite, but the charge is enough to make you nervous. She makes little to no effort to call the dog off. The effort she puts into it consists of talking quiet baby talk to the dog. As a dog owner this ticks me off. If my dog ever did that it would be...well...in the dog house. :-)

Carry a can of mace and give the dog a snort of that. It's a shame the dog has to suffer for its owner's rudeness and idiocy, but it will probably only take once.

I rode this trail yesterday (July 5th) and it's in nice shape. The trail guide says it's "Advanced" but I wouldn't rate it any more than "Intermediate," despite a few interesting and fun obstacles. For example, there is not one serious climb on the trail. I don't mean that to denigrate the great work that's gone into making this complex and interesting trail -- there's a lot of cool trail packed into a fairly small space there! -- but only to warn others that if you go expecting challenges like Potowatomi and Big "M" (truly advanced trails in Michigan) or even Yankee Springs (advanced, but less so), you'll be disappointed.

LOL! I wonder what the criteria is for measuring beginner, intermediate and advanced? The risk of broken bones, or the risk of a stroke? LOL
gtrowbridge

Postby volklgirl » July 18th, 2009, 8:16 pm

The trail is in GREAT shape right now, and the reroutes are fantastic. The new entrance to the big Tree Pee is perfect.....I almost had the b*lls to try it today!

As usual, great work guys!!!
volklgirl

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments