Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby jwhitey » October 22nd, 2011, 1:55 pm

I like this trail. It was a little wet but only because of the dew, but most of the trail is covered with leaves and the rest was grass. Pretty cool. I'd like to ride it without the leaves. I rode almost 10 miles and the map says there are 4.5 miles. Definitely did a couple sections twice. It wouldn't take much to learn your way around here. I didn't see any deer but almost ran over a hawk eating another bird right on the trail. Very turny and fun but pretty flat. The trail looks well maintained and fairly well marked, good job to who ever works on this trail.
jwhitey

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 22nd, 2011, 8:03 pm

Glad to hear its not muddy. I'm planning to hit Hewens Creek and Rolling Hills tomorrow morning. Looks like I'll need to bundle up but at least it will be dry.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby jwhitey » October 23rd, 2011, 8:45 am

After a closer look I see rolling hills to the west now. How does that compare to Hewens? I wish it was a little closer to home because it looks fun too.
jwhitey

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 23rd, 2011, 10:31 am

Did both Hewens and Rolling Hills this morning. Plus rode all the new paved trials at Rolling Hills (very nice!). Hewens was in pretty good shape. When I started at 9:30 there was one map left in the info box, but when I came out there were bunches - must have just missed whomever restocks them. I would have liked to shake your hand and say thanks for all the hard work.

The markers look pretty good. I snapped a few pics that I'll post later so people know what to look for.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby bhollen666 » October 23rd, 2011, 4:58 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:The markers look pretty good. I snapped a few pics that I'll post later so people know what to look for.

We went through 15 maps yesterday and this morning I added about 9 more. Gonna have to print a lot more. (I also looked around to see if they were just being thrown in the woods, which has happened a lot before, but so far I didn't find any.) I rode through today for the first time after the markers were put up and even when I knew where they were at I still passed a couple of them. Maybe they could have been a little larger for us riding faster than the hikers, then they'd be easier to spot.

I also saw a bunch of hikers on the trail today when riding through, must have been about 15 people in the park when I rode through. Glad it's getting more use. There wasn't a lot of mud except in the yellow section with the short wooden bridges (between Y3 and Y4). I think the new log pile in the orange loop (around O4)needs a little more work; it's a pretty sharp drop off and maybe even a chain-ring grabber.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » October 23rd, 2011, 5:02 pm

jwhitey wrote:After a closer look I see rolling hills to the west now. How does that compare to Hewens? I wish it was a little closer to home because it looks fun too.

Rolling Hills is a more challenging, intermediate trail. There are a lot more climbs and interesting turns there. It's really only a short ride from Hewens Creek. I think more and more riders are parking in Hewens Creek and then riding them both.

By the way, was that you who rode past me yesterday morning when I was out with the GPS marking the yellow trail? I just barely heard you coming and quickly ducked into the bush to get out of your way in the north central loop around Y9 and Y10.
bhollen666

Postby jwhitey » October 23rd, 2011, 5:30 pm

It probably was. I figured you were scoping out a hunt or something. I didn't see any other bikers at all. With all those turns things come up pretty fast. 2 way traffic could be dangerous.
Next time I get out there I will make time to do Rolling Hills too. Is there a trail connector that joins the two?
jwhitey

Postby bhollen666 » October 23rd, 2011, 6:58 pm

jwhitey wrote:It probably was. I figured you were scoping out a hunt or something. I didn't see any other bikers at all. With all those turns things come up pretty fast. 2 way traffic could be dangerous.
Next time I get out there I will make time to do Rolling Hills too. Is there a trail connector that joins the two?

There's no connector from one trail to the other, but you can just ride west on Bemis Road from the HCP parking lot to Stoneycreek Road, which is about a 1/2 mile. At the north west corner of Bemis Road and Stoneycreek Road intersection you'll see a connector bike trail that will lead you to the SE section of the Rolling Hills Trail.
bhollen666

Postby jwhitey » October 23rd, 2011, 7:32 pm

Cool, I'll try that next time. The trail markers did look rather new and shiny and the map looks pretty good too. I like the superimposed route on an aerial photo.
jwhitey

Postby dnale » October 30th, 2011, 12:26 pm

Rode it this morning. It's really slick. Some mud hidden under the leaves. First "cool/cold" weather ride and I was pretty happy. Used some Ibex El Fito knickers, a long sleeve performance T and a windbreaker and I was toasty. Gotta look into better gloves. Definitely gonna get some studded tires. I'm glad I knew the trail because with the amount of leaves it was a little trickier to follow. Not real sure if I like that new log climb on the west loop. Took me by suprise for sure. I wonder what they did back in Park with the trucks/equipment other than make a mess. Seems like they were the whole way back to the north/field section. Was pretty tore up.
dnale

Postby bhollen666 » October 30th, 2011, 12:44 pm

dnale wrote:Not real sure if I like that new log climb on the west loop.

Yep, me neither. It needs built up better on the back end of it.

dnale wrote:I wonder what they did back in Park with the trucks/equipment other than make a mess. Seems like they were the whole way back to the north/field section. Was pretty tore up.

At first I thought it was the township going in there for some work. But then I saw that they continued down to the yellow/red loop intersection and just seem to spin around there. Sure is a muddy mess there!
bhollen666

Postby BikeHewensCreek » October 30th, 2011, 1:16 pm

Found a stump exposed yesterday while walking thru. I hope nobody was hurt. Pulaski'd it today. Please message us if you find issues like this, we'll get right on it.
BikeHewensCreek

Postby dnale » October 30th, 2011, 1:19 pm

I'm always suspect of other people's use of the park. Sure I've seen plenty of people out there just enjoying it as I do, but something like that just looks suspect after seeing the guy the one time who was surely going to dump tree clippings. I hate to see people abuse it and we lose someplace that could be great.
dnale

Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby BikeHewensCreek » November 1st, 2011, 7:42 am

dnale wrote:I'm always suspect of other people's use of the park. Sure I've seen plenty of people out there just enjoying it as I do, but something like that just looks suspect after seeing the guy the one time who was surely going to dump tree clippings. I hate to see people abuse it and we lose someplace that could be great.

Turns out that it might have been the sheriff patrolling through that got stuck in that muddy stretch of the yellow/red junction, which needed a toe outta there. Happy to see them checking out the place, so they get our thanks.

http://twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek
BikeHewensCreek@gmail.com
BikeHewensCreek

Postby dnale » November 1st, 2011, 11:07 am

BikeHewensCreek wrote:Turns out that it might have been the sheriff patrolling through that got stuck in that muddy stretch of the yellow/red junction, which needed a toe outta there. Happy to see them checking out the place, so they get our thanks.

http://twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek
BikeHewensCreek@gmail.com

That's great news (minus the stuck part.) A month or so back I was actually blocked in my some "youth's". They came out as I was finishing loading my bike. The amount of trash and debris that gets tossed there, you know there is some sketchy stuff happening.
dnale

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions