Poto: Hewens Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby BikeHewensCreek » September 22nd, 2013, 5:33 pm

Yep, the QR code is pointing to an address for the map that is no longer on the MMBA web site. A new code is going to have to be created when the map can be found again.

BikeHewensCreek@gmail.com
http://www.twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek
BikeHewensCreek

Postby BikeHewensCreek » September 23rd, 2013, 8:34 pm

Recreated the QR codes from the changed links and reprinted the note. I'll try to put it up ASAP. Thanks to whoever took out the leaning cottonwood tree in the east loop.

BikeHewensCreek

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 9th, 2013, 7:36 pm

Spun thru Hewens for the first time in a while tonight. Expected soggy ground but found the trail plenty dry enough.

There is a tree down about 0.75 miles into the first section of yellow before the little bridges. Could be taken out with a handsaw but I didn't have mine. Chainsaw would make quick work of it.

The first bit of yellow and the later yellow meadow sections could use a final trim. Lots of derailleur grabbers that wrap around your cassette. It's rideable but would be great with a final mowing. Red was fine. And it's a bummer not having orange - there were a couple fun log piles and boulders back there.

Oh yeah, and I found that 2 CO2 cartridges might be enough for low fatbike tire pressures in the winter snow but that's not quite enough to fill up a tire to a comfy pressure for summer trail riding. Had to limp back home carefully....

Get out and ride Hewens. This trail needs more traffic.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby golfbum » October 16th, 2013, 5:07 pm

The tree has been removed and other brush in that area as well. I'm a walker on the trail most any day and really appreciate what the bikers have added to the park. My chocolate lab, Arnie, and I look forward to seeing you on the trail.
golfbum

Postby michael48197 » November 2nd, 2013, 9:07 am

Come out to the Fifth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/29 at 10 AM. This will be a no-drop group ride and is great for novice MTBer's to get exposure to single track riding and be a fun way to burn off that Thanksgiving feast and tryptophan overdose. The ride will be about 13 miles long covering about 5.5 miles at Hewens Creek and 5 miles at Rolling Hills along with a few miles of dirt road connecting the two parks. For those who haven't ridden or rarely ride at either trail, Hewens Creek is a flat, winding ride through meadows and new growth forest and great for beginning riders. The RHP trail on the other hand is very appropriately named. The trial twists and turns through 5 miles of forest and rolling hills that provide a great opportunity to improve on your bike handling skills especially on the 1.25-mile Munger loop on the west side of RHP which includes beautiful open meadows and some fun pump-track like riding on the Munger Mounds.

Meet at the Rolling Hills Headquarters building (the lodge) at 9:45 AM and then we will head out by 10-10:15 AM. After the ride, we will have some pizza and refreshments at the lodge at about Noon. Please register in advance at Event Brite http://www.eventbrite.com/event/9026232705 to attend so a good estimate of riders can be made for the pizza and beverages. Rain date will be Saturday 11/30 at 10 AM. Look for changes on the Rolling Hills or Hewens Creek forums on the MMBA website or the Poto Yahoo! Group Email list.

Please park in the MTB trail head parking lot - enter the park, go straight through the traffic circle and park in the first lot on your right next to a big pavillion ~1/4 mile away from the circle. The Lodge will be about 200 yards away on your left.

There will again be a gate charge this year to enter RHP. It is a Washtenaw County Park so if you already have WCP sticker you are good to go. Otherwise, park entry will cost $5 for everyone as a discount for non-Washtenaw residents was arranged.

Last but definitiely not least, we have to thank DeWight and crew at Wheels in Motion for supporting the MTB community by sponsoring this event and paying for the food and refreshments.

Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
RollingHillsMTB@gmail.com
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby BikeHewensCreek » November 9th, 2013, 1:16 pm

All of the yellow loop is cleared for riding and walking. A couple of new trees were down from the wind but they are cleared now.
BikeHewensCreek

Postby dnale » November 9th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Saw a couple guys unloading some bikes at HC as we took the boat to storage. Hope you guys had a great ride.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
dnale

Postby BikeHewensCreek » November 10th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Red loop cleared today for more blowdowns. Trail not in too bad of shape.

BikeHewensCreek

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 20th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Has anyone been through since the storm the other day? Wonder if any cleanup is needed.....
ChrisInYpsi

Postby BikeHewensCreek » November 22nd, 2013, 3:05 pm

Walked and cleared the whole yellow and red loops today, now they're again ready for the Black Friday ride, as long as the wind doesn't bring more down.

Thanks go out to whoever helped with some trimming this past week.

BikeHewensCreek

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 23rd, 2013, 5:16 pm

Rode through today and all is clear. There is a tree hanging over the trail just after the start of red. It's plenty high enough to ride under, but it should probably be cut out when the opportunity arises.

Thanks for all the work clearing the trail.

Still bummed about losing the orange loop. Is there a plan to get it re-opened, or is it likely gone for good?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby parttime » November 24th, 2013, 8:47 am

ChrisInYpsi wrote:Still bummed about losing the orange loop. Is there a plan to get it re-opened, or is it likely gone for good?

I don't see why people who know the trail can't ride/hike it. It my understanding that it was closed to keep people (mostly unfamiliar hikers?) from getting lost back there and bugging the neighbors, which has apparently happened multiple times.
parttime

Postby michael48197 » November 24th, 2013, 3:34 pm

According to the TC, there are several trees down on the orange loop. The only way we could ride it next week is if someone gets out there to clear them. Improve signage would make the problem of lost hikers go away.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby BikeHewensCreek » November 24th, 2013, 6:48 pm

There were attempts at increasing signage and mappage over the years, but people were still getting lost. There's quite a history in this story, actually, along with our continuous struggle to keep the signs and maps from being vandalized.

Since it's been closed and unmaintained we have not received any notice that there has been any further problems. So it appears to us that it's working. We lose a mile of trail but we have happier and safer neighbors and users. I think that goes a long way for the reputation of both the riders and the MMBA.

BikeHewensCreek

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 24th, 2013, 8:48 pm

The tape across the start of orange has been broken and is hanging from the trees on the sides of the trail. The only thing keeping people off at the moment is the log bridging the y-intersection at the start.

There is a large tree down right at the big boulder at the start of the orange (that boulder was fun to ride over!), but I have no idea what is down in the rest of the loop.

If there is opportunity to get it reopened I'd be happy to help clean up whatever is down, and I'd also be happy to help with increased signage if needed.

But if the TC wants to deem it permanently closed I will continue to stay off the loop. Just offering my assistance and/or hoping for some compromise such as parttime mentioned.
ChrisInYpsi

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments