Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby parttime » October 9th, 2011, 7:45 pm

bhollen666 wrote:
jjc155 wrote:One thing, and i think that this might be more a function of the county parks dept than mmba but how about a few trail markers?

The MMBA now has an updated map and a bunch of trail markers so that we can mark the three loops that we have and match them up with the map. The updated map and a proposal for placing the markers have been sent to the township, who will discuss and decide upon it tomorrow at their meeting tomorrow. If they approve we will put up the markers and identify them with the location and the mileage on the trail.

Let me know when the markers are getting installed, I'll help.
parttime

Postby jjc155 » October 10th, 2011, 3:43 am

parttime wrote:
bhollen666 wrote:
jjc155 wrote:One thing, and i think that this might be more a function of the county parks dept than mmba but how about a few trail markers?

The MMBA now has an updated map and a bunch of trail markers so that we can mark the three loops that we have and match them up with the map. The updated map and a proposal for placing the markers have been sent to the township, who will discuss and decide upon it tomorrow at their meeting tomorrow. If they approve we will put up the markers and identify them with the location and the mileage on the trail.

Let me know when the markers are getting installed, I'll help.

I'd be willing to help also, if its not on a day I work (I have a weird work schedule).

J-
jjc155

Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » October 15th, 2011, 9:12 pm

Lots of new blow down with the wind today, including a bigger tree in the NW loop. I made a log pile out of it instead of clearing it. I went back through after lunch and found even more trees down in stretches that I had already cleared. Hopefully things are still clear, but be on the lookout.
bhollen666

Postby dnale » October 16th, 2011, 9:45 am

I bet the trail is pretty slick with these leaves and little bit of rain.
dnale

Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » October 16th, 2011, 8:20 pm

Yea, it is slick from the leaves, but also the mud underneath can surprise you.
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » October 17th, 2011, 8:33 pm

Color coded trail markers placed throughout the trail in the three current loops to help users to locate where they are along the trail. Here's a quick link to the new map: http://mmba.org/library/maps/hewenscreek/HCP%20MTB%20Trail%20Map%20with%20NW%20Extension.jpg
bhollen666

Postby dnale » October 18th, 2011, 8:11 am

I must still miss the Y16. I can't wait to check it out with the new markers. Might be a night ride now with it getting dark so early.
dnale

Postby jjc155 » October 18th, 2011, 5:35 pm

cool thanks for the new map and markers. man looking at the map and where I ended up at (the tip of the arrow on hitchingham rd lol)

I still dont know how the heck I ended up there lmao. think I may have jumped from yellow to red at the y4 "corner" and them ended up at the drainage ditch on hitchingham and went right instead of left. lol

hopefully with the markers and map I can figure it out next time.

also on the map the blue line is the mowed path that is about wide enough to drive a car down? do u ride that till it ends and that's were the trail starts?

J-
jjc155

Postby bhollen666 » October 18th, 2011, 8:46 pm

dnale wrote:I must still miss the Y16. I can't wait to check it out with the new markers. Might be a night ride now with it getting dark so early.

The blue line is the wide mowed path up to the pond/dam and up to the entry on the right, which we've labeled Y1. I think that most of the riders are entering the trail right from the parking lot and riding from new markers Y18 to Y16, where you then come out and go left to ride to the trail entrance. During development this was planned to be entered at Y16 and then come out at the parking lot at Y18.

After you finish the yellow trail at Y15 and go right/south with the pond on your right, you will make a slight jog in the mowed path to the left and then cut a sharp right into the yellow trail again at Y16. There is a big tree on the right of this entrance and it's usually covered with large leaved poison ivy. Here's a pic of the marker at this spot: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/y1ibbA-ainPZfjts2s1GNw?feat=directlink
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » October 18th, 2011, 8:51 pm

jjc155 wrote:cool thanks for the new map and markers. man looking at the map and where I ended up at (the tip of the arrow on hitchingham rd lol)

The turn at R3 is a sharp left, but there's a less-sharp, easier "right" you can make and within 10 yards you're on Hitchingham. It's a little path I use to drive the mower in there, which used to be just a foot path. I have tried to temporarily block it, but it usually gets moved/cleared and it's so much easier to make that right than the left. Hopefully you will see the directional arrow/marker at R3 now that points to the left, giving the rider enough time to realize the left is coming up.

Let us know if there's more markers needed in places. We have more, including a different color for the next expansion loop.

also on the map the blue line is the mowed path that is about wide enough to drive a car down? do u ride that till it ends and that's were the trail starts?

Yep, it's the mowed path that the township clears, mostly to maintain the earthen dam. It's not part of the trail, so I left it blue to indicate that you have to ride on it as a way to get to/from the trail parts.
bhollen666

Postby jjc155 » October 18th, 2011, 9:02 pm

bhollen666 wrote:
jjc155 wrote:cool thanks for the new map and markers. man looking at the map and where I ended up at (the tip of the arrow on hitchingham rd lol)

The turn at R3 is a sharp left, but there's a less-sharp, easier "right" you can make and within 10 yards you're on Hitchingham. It's a little path I use to drive the mower in there, which used to be just a foot path. I have tried to temporarily block it, but it usually gets moved/cleared and it's so much easier to make that right than the left. Hopefully you will see the directional arrow/marker at R3 now that points to the left, giving the rider enough time to realize the left is coming up.

Let us know if there's more markers needed in places. We have more, including a different color for the next expansion loop.

Yep, it's the mowed path that the township clears, mostly to maintain the earthen dam. It's not part of the trail, so I left it blue to indicate that you have to ride on it as a way to get to/from the trail parts.

cool thanks all makes sense. plus that sounds exactly how I ended up.on the road.

thanks.
J-
jjc155

Postby ChrisInYpsi » October 19th, 2011, 10:01 pm

Awesome. Can't wait to ride it with the new markers. With all this rain it might not be for a few more days.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby jwhitey » October 21st, 2011, 6:54 am

How quickly does this trail dry out? I may be in the area Saturday morning and thinking about bringing my bike.
jwhitey

Postby bhollen666 » October 21st, 2011, 6:18 pm

jwhitey wrote:How quickly does this trail dry out? I may be in the area Saturday morning and thinking about bringing my bike.

Some sections dry out really slowly. Rolling Hills dries out pretty quickly as I understand. If you bring your bike you could check out both, but I'd start with Rolling Hills first.
bhollen666

Postby jwhitey » October 21st, 2011, 10:36 pm

Thanks for the advise. It's a bit of a haul for me but I've never ridden Hewens Creek.
It looks pretty fun on Google earth with all the winding trails out in the open. Reminds me of the wetlands loop at Morton Taylor.
jwhitey

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions