Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » July 25th, 2011, 8:42 pm

The central loop will need mowing soon but currently needs some weed whacking. Is there anybody with a weed whacker and some time this week that could start to whack back the thorns and early goldenrod in the field sections starting at the junction of the eastern loop and ending at the entrance to the woods with the large downed tree?
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » July 25th, 2011, 8:43 pm

bhollen666 wrote:The central loop will need mowing soon but currently needs some weed whacking. Is there anybody with a weed whacker and some time this week that could start to whack back the thorns and early goldenrod in the field sections starting at the junction of the eastern loop and ending at the entrance to the woods with the large downed tree?

Or from "G" to "L" on the map posted in LuckyCharm's post?
bhollen666

Postby twinkler » July 26th, 2011, 8:32 pm

Rode this tonight, in part because the Merritt/Hitchingham construction blocked my normal route to Rolling Hills. Could have used the map, certainly. Might have skipped D-G, and at some point in the woods went in a circle and ended up riding past the same big rock twice.

Saw some orange tape marking a tree (off the trail, I later learned), rode to it, and ended up through a fence gap and onto Swallow Lane. That got me to Rolling Hills but I was clearly lost for a while there.

Other than my messed-up direction sense, trail seemed fairly clear (way better than it was a few years ago). Saw no flashlights, though.
twinkler

Postby parttime » July 26th, 2011, 8:52 pm

bhollen666 wrote:The central loop will need mowing soon but currently needs some weed whacking. Is there anybody with a weed whacker and some time this week that could start to whack back the thorns and early goldenrod in the field sections starting at the junction of the eastern loop and ending at the entrance to the woods with the large downed tree?

I should have some time this week to do some of this, but I would rather use a hedge trimmer than a weed whacker. I remember using Norm's when we put in the western loop, and it was reeeeeaaaaal nice. Do you know if the chapter has one? I'll check with Bill.

Edit: Is it time to bring a big rental mower out there? I have an open utility trailer we can use.
parttime

Postby hotspurr » July 27th, 2011, 8:05 am

Hi All,

I will be out of town this weekend, but I can lend my weedwhacker and hedge trimmer to Bob, if that helps. I will probably be laying out new trail at Rolling Hills next week, now that I can get out from under a huge project at work.

Cheers, Norm
hotspurr

Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » July 30th, 2011, 9:16 pm

Trail Weed whacked today thanks to "parttime" and also mowed. It should be a little safer from the thorns.
bhollen666

Postby dnale » July 30th, 2011, 10:41 pm

Parttime was in the lot as I was leaving this morning. I rode Rolling Hills. Plan to hit up HC tomorrow morning.
dnale

Postby bhollen666 » July 31st, 2011, 3:12 pm

Wasn't too bad of a ride this morning, even though it was already warm at 10. Almost collided with a woodpecker that came out of the trees and headed straight for me before turning away at the last minute.
bhollen666

Postby dnale » July 31st, 2011, 7:56 pm

Unfortunately I never made it out like I had planned. Worked on the wife's car all day.
dnale

Postby ChrisInYpsi » August 5th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Rode after dark tonight which makes things more interesting. A few mushy areas by the bridges near the start of the trail. Also quite a lot of slippery apples laying on the ground in that area. Best part was there were a lot fewer bugs & almost no deer flies tonight.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby bhollen666 » August 10th, 2011, 9:27 pm

Rode through the eastern loop tonight around dusk and the mosquitos are just horrible. They are flying in clouds. I stopped to talk with other riders and was attacked by a cloud. Definitely a skeeter population explosion; either DEET up or don't stop!
bhollen666

Postby P_Thomas22 » August 11th, 2011, 9:05 am

Did the trail on Tuesday the 9th as my first ride back after breaking my ribs :) trail was in great condition, has the flat log before the big rock at the begining always been there? Also there is a log pile on the north west side that was kinda jacked up up so watch out. I would of stopped to try and fix it but the bugs were out in full force. Only stopped once to pull a twig out of my spokes and I ate a couple of the little guys!

Also parked here on Weds night and rode from here to Rolling Hills to do my first night ride... That was amazing!
P_Thomas22

Postby oogs » August 18th, 2011, 4:57 pm

The link to the trail page ( http://ytown.org/recreate/parksystem.shtml ) seems to be dead and/or moved.

I rode through here last summer. Has it changed much since then? (changed, as in new paths, better marked paths, etc)
oogs

Postby dnale » August 22nd, 2011, 7:18 am

The trail is worn down/in better this year than in the past. I still can't find the last return loop once you get south of the pond. Trail markings are non-existant as they are a target of vandalism. The only "wrong" turn that I can think of is if you take a right at the one T instead of a left and it takes you out to Hitchingham Rd.
dnale

Postby ekm » August 22nd, 2011, 2:26 pm

First time at HC this afternoon, and it was not too bad---a little bumpy in spots and some slap/poke with the thornbushes, but a good time. The apples through the orchard section have been sitting on the ground long enough to explode when you roll over them, in a satisfying way.

Thanks, all y'all who have been working on it the last five years. Great to have it so close to town.
ekm

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions