Poto: Hewens Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 15th, 2012, 6:55 pm

I haven't been on Hewens Creek in a while, but I might swing by tomorrow on the way to Rolling Hills. How is HC now adays?
ChrisInYpsi

Postby parttime » September 15th, 2012, 7:15 pm

ChrisInYpsi wrote:I haven't been on Hewens Creek in a while, but I might swing by tomorrow on the way to Rolling Hills. How is HC now adays?

It was in good shape earlier this week when I did a couple laps. A few arm grabbers and a few branches to be cut back, but overall very good shape.
parttime

Postby BikeHewensCreek » September 16th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Went thru it this morning and someone (hiker John I think) cleared some hanging branches. The surface is still very open from parttime's effort. There's a new tree down in the woods right before the big downhill. I lifted it aside a little, but it's gonna have to be cut ; maybe with a hand saw my next trip in.

BikeHewensCreek@gmail.com
http://www.twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek
BikeHewensCreek

Postby parttime » September 17th, 2012, 12:42 pm

I spent some time yesterday clearing the sticks off the trail tread, and the low branches in the first and last wooded sections. They should be in really good shape. It looks like our vandaltastic friend stopped by sometime this week also, as a few logs in the first wooded section were moved around, but nothing too bad. The log ride in the first section still needs to be fixed though.

BikeHewensCreek wrote: There's a new tree down in the woods right before the big downhill. I lifted it aside a little, but it's gonna have to be cut ; maybe with a hand saw my next trip in.

I should be able to get to this tree tomorrow (Tues.) evening. I also have a map box to install then also!
Bob, do you have a few maps for it, and maybe a Poto sticker for it?
parttime

Postby parttime » September 19th, 2012, 6:50 pm

New map box is installed on the front sign. Someone moved the tree out of the way before I could get to it. Moved lots of derailleur twigs in that area out of the way though.
parttime

Postby BikeHewensCreek » September 24th, 2012, 5:46 pm

Great map box parttime. I put a handful of maps in it tonight and will try to keep it stocked.

BikeHewensCreek

Postby ChrisInYpsi » September 29th, 2012, 8:51 pm

Saw more riders on the trail today than ever. Was great weather, and the trail is in good shape.

What's up with the new 2-track cut in the back of the red section off Hitchingham? That was a surprise.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby dnale » September 29th, 2012, 9:23 pm

Haven't rode this at all this summer. Maybe I should tomorrow.

Sent from my Toshiba Excite via Tapatalk
dnale

Postby BikeHewensCreek » October 7th, 2012, 2:49 pm

Glove found on trail today. I folded it up and put it in the new map box at the trailhead.

http://twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek/stat ... 00/photo/1

BikeHewensCreek

Postby parttime » October 16th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Rode HC this afternoon and it is in pretty good shape. Tires are getting really good grip despite the leaf cover. There was some misc. branches and leaners from the high winds this past weekend that were easily moved off the trail.

BikeHewensCreek wrote:Glove found on trail today. I folded it up and put it in the new map box at the trailhead.

http://twitter.com/BikeHewensCreek/stat ... 00/photo/1

Those maps went fast, there aren't any left! The glove is still in the map box though.
parttime

Postby ChrisInYpsi » November 3rd, 2012, 4:09 pm

Trail is clear and dry. No problems at all.
ChrisInYpsi

Postby BikeHewensCreek » November 3rd, 2012, 9:35 pm

"Sandy" wasn't too bad to the trail, just a few smaller blowdowns that were easy to clear with hand tools.

BikeHewensCreek

Postby michael48197 » November 7th, 2012, 7:54 am

4th ANNUAL BLACK FRIDAY RIDE, 11/23, 10 AM at Rolling Hills & Hewens Creek

REGISTER AT EVENT BRITE: http://www.eventbrite.com/org/2898259791

Come out to the Fourth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/23 at 10 AM. This will be a no-drop group ride and is great for novice MTBer's to get exposure to single track riding and be a great way to burn off that Thanksgiving feast and tryptophan overdose. The ride will be about 13 miles covering about 5.5 miles at Hewens Creek and 5 miles at Rolling Hills along with a few miles of dirt road connecting the two parks. For those who haven't ridden or rarely ride at RHP, you will get a chance to see new 1.25-mile Munger loop on the west side of RHP which includes some fun pump-track like riding on the Munger Mounds and beautiful open meadows.

Meet at the Rolling Hills Headquarters building (the lodge) at 9:45 AM and then we will head out by 10-10:15 AM. After the ride, we will have some pizza and refreshments at the lodge at 11:30 AM. Please register in advance at Event Brite to attend so I can get a good estimate of riders for the pizza and beverages. Rain date will be Saturday 11/24 at 10 AM. Look for changes on the Rolling Hills or Hewens Creek forums on the MMBA website.

It will be very busy at RHP as there is also a Disc Golf event on the same day who will use the Lodge immediately after us. Please park in the MTB trail head parking lot - enter the park, go straight through the traffic circle and park in the first lot on your right next to a big pavillion ~1/4 mile away from the circle. The Lodge will be about 200 yards away on your left.

Unfortunately, there will be a gate charge this year to enter RHP. It is a Washtenaw County Park so if you already have WCP sticker you are good to go. Otherwise, park entry will cost $5 for everyone as I negotiated a discount for non-Washtenaw residents.

Last but definitiely not least, we have to thank DeWight and crew at Wheels in Motion for supporting the MTB community by sponsoring this event and paying for the food and refreshments.
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

Postby mikesathome2 » November 12th, 2012, 8:45 am

Rode on 11.11.12 (first time at Hewens) the trail was mostly dry and in good shape. some sections were heavy with lots of leaf cover.
First time impression - Tail is easy to navigate with map in hand and markers on the trees
mikesathome2

Postby michael48197 » November 18th, 2012, 7:13 am

REMINDER: PLEASE SIGN UP IN ADVANCE TO PROVIDE AN ACCURATE COUNT FOR FOOD AND DRINK

4th ANNUAL BLACK FRIDAY RIDE, 11/23, 10 AM at Rolling Hills & Hewens Creek

REGISTER AT EVENT BRITE: http://www.eventbrite.com/org/2898259791

Come out to the Fourth Annual Black Friday MTB Ride at Rolling Hills and Hewens Creek Parks in Ypsilanti Township on Friday 11/23 at 10 AM. This will be a no-drop group ride and is great for novice MTBer's to get exposure to single track riding and be a great way to burn off that Thanksgiving feast and tryptophan overdose. The ride will be about 13 miles covering about 5.5 miles at Hewens Creek and 5 miles at Rolling Hills along with a few miles of dirt road connecting the two parks. For those who haven't ridden or rarely ride at RHP, you will get a chance to see new 1.25-mile Munger loop on the west side of RHP which includes some fun pump-track like riding on the Munger Mounds and beautiful open meadows.

Meet at the Rolling Hills Headquarters building (the lodge) at 9:45 AM and then we will head out by 10-10:15 AM. After the ride, we will have some pizza and refreshments at the lodge at 11:30 AM. Please register in advance at Event Brite to attend so I can get a good estimate of riders for the pizza and beverages. Rain date will be Saturday 11/24 at 10 AM. Look for changes on the Rolling Hills or Hewens Creek forums on the MMBA website.

It will be very busy at RHP as there is also a Disc Golf event on the same day who will use the Lodge immediately after us. Please park in the MTB trail head parking lot - enter the park, go straight through the traffic circle and park in the first lot on your right next to a big pavillion ~1/4 mile away from the circle. The Lodge will be about 200 yards away on your left.

Unfortunately, there will be a gate charge this year to enter RHP. It is a Washtenaw County Park so if you already have WCP sticker you are good to go. Otherwise, park entry will cost $5 for everyone as I negotiated a discount for non-Washtenaw residents.

Last but definitiely not least, we have to thank DeWight and crew at Wheels in Motion for supporting the MTB community by sponsoring this event and paying for the food and refreshments.

Black Friday 2011 Photos
Image Image
Michael Connolly
RHP Trail Coordinator
michael48197

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments