Poto: Hewen's Creek

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby dnale » June 29th, 2011, 7:09 pm

Rode it tonight for the first time this year. Guess I should have looked at the map. I think I took the nw corner but it brought me back out to the same trail. Not sure if it was supposed to do that. Did 4.6 miles according to the bike computer. Not sure it that's right or not. It's in so much better shape that the last time I rode it. Still a little tough on the bottom but much better. Ended up with a flat somehow. Wasn't flat when I put the bike in the roof rack (front wheel off) and when I took it out of the hatch at home the front was flat. Oh well, time for another new tube.
dnale

Postby bhollen666 » June 29th, 2011, 8:46 pm

Sorry you got a flat. I have been trying to take extra measures to chop up the thorns after a clearing so that there are fewer thorns left over. Actually this weekend I did the eastern loop over two days but mowed each section after the clearing on the "mulching" setting.

I got tired of flats from riding here so I took Werner's advice (Thanks Werner!) and bought some of those inner liners for the tires to protect the tube from smaller/shorter punctures. Plus I use a little Slime in the tires. I don't wanna jinx myself (knocks on wood) but so far this year with these updates and my extra mowing I've had only one flat. And that thorn was a big one, likely from a hawthorn tree!

The northwest loop is the split in the long wooded section that is the last part of the trail. You can go right to add an extra mile to the trail through an out-and-back path before it splits in the woods for a loop. Its the section where there is a huge rock which I put a short log in front of it to help to transition a ride over the top of it. This loop also takes you to another smaller pond and past part of the northern stretch of the Hewen's Creek.

I rode the eastern loop myself tonight, jumping on from the "semi-secret" entrance along Hitchingham. This is actually where I ride in with the mower, so it's more of a utilitarian access then anything else. It's also the place where I confuse a lot of riders who think that they should go right there and they get taken right out to the road. I temporarily setup a part of a tree to try to "steer" riders left, which I hope will last until I can get some signs setup.
bhollen666

Postby dnale » June 30th, 2011, 7:19 am

I did the same wrong turn. It's not your fault I flatted. Sounds like I did the "correct" out and back on the same trail on that one section.

Do you mind if I go out tonight with a pair of snippers and take a couple of the new growth briars out?
dnale

Postby dnale » June 30th, 2011, 8:31 pm

Didn't make it out tonight. Tried to get the flat fixed. Went through 2 of my old tubes and they all had leaks too. Found the cause of the original leak. Was a nice 1/2" long thick thorn.
dnale

Postby bhollen666 » July 1st, 2011, 8:58 pm

No problem at all. Frequently I'll ride with a small pair of nippers or loppers to cut stuff that might get the next rider. There's nothing you can do that would be wrong -- go for it and thanks!
bhollen666

Postby dnale » July 4th, 2011, 8:17 pm

Rode again today. Still looks in pretty good shape. Found a rut about 1/4 mile in that my front wheel found in the one corner... I'm pretty sure the grass isn't covering it anymore.
dnale

Postby bhollen666 » July 8th, 2011, 9:03 pm

Rode through it tonight and it does seem to be holding up pretty well these last few weeks. The eastern loop is still really good and fast. The new section in the northwest was re-opened by someone who took some time with a pair of pruners. Thanks from all of us riders for that work and effort, now you can ride this stretch again without getting ripped up by thorns.

Right after the first wooded section and into the first field section (what had been labeled "B" on the map) there are the remnants of an opposum. I expect that the coyote(s?) got it and ate all of the good bits. Now all that's left is bone and a pile of fur. Will try to clean that up this weekend, but of course, that's the natural way.

Thanks again to those who helped out this past week!
bhollen666

Postby bhollen666 » July 9th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Trail mowed again today, double wide. Removed a bunch of encroaching branches and thorns.
bhollen666

Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » July 10th, 2011, 11:35 am

Rode it this morning and it's a nice open ride again. There are a few places that will need some attention, but it's open and I didn't get cut by any thorns.
bhollen666

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 10th, 2011, 9:05 pm

Just got back from a 2 wk vacation and took a late ride tonight when I got home. Lots of bugs (got bit through my clothing twice!), but that's the price I have to pay for riding near dusk. Trail was in good shape - no flats, only a few arm scapers, etc. Moved 2 small branches off the trail, but no real problems. Trail is fast now. I think I made it through the whole way without taking any wrong turns - woohoo!

Nice job keeping it maintained. If I'm available on the next trial day I'll plan to lend a hand.
ChrisInYpsi

Poto: Hewens Creek

Postby bhollen666 » July 11th, 2011, 8:42 pm

Rode through the eastern loop tonight after the winds and rain today. I had to move lots of downed trees. Most small but one was about three inches thick. I hope there's not others down in the rest of the park. Be careful if you're riding before this coming weekend.
bhollen666

Postby john_galt » July 13th, 2011, 10:09 am

bhollen666 wrote:Rode through the eastern loop tonight after the winds and rain today. I had to move lots of downed trees. Most small but one was about three inches thick. I hope there's not others down in the rest of the park. Be careful if you're riding before this coming weekend.

There's a ~10in diameter tree down near the beginning of the new western loop....
john_galt

Postby dnale » July 13th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Yup saw the same things tonight. I thought about trying to get past that one on the western loop but I decided against it. It's amazing how quick those briars grow into the cleared path.
dnale

Postby bhollen666 » July 13th, 2011, 9:11 pm

Aw crap, so it's not passable? I had hoped maybe we could "logpile" it or ride around it.

Guys, do you think I can hand-saw it, or am I gonna have to find someone with a chain saw? (or finally go buy one myself)

Dang. I had invited some friends to ride it this Saturday after the Tree Fort 29er Demo at Rolling Hills, but if the trails a mess again, I might have to tell them to skip it.
bhollen666

Postby ChrisInYpsi » July 13th, 2011, 9:32 pm

I rode it tonight and just turned around at that downed tree on the western loop and headed out. Was getting dark and I didn't get a good look at it, but it seemed pretty ugly.

There was also a new tree down about a mile in, but I was able to hop that fairly easily. Will be an issue for mowing though.

I rode this just a couple days ago and it's amazing how fast the briars are growing into the trail. Must have been the heavy rain the other day.
ChrisInYpsi

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions