WMMBA: Merrell Trail

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: WMMBA: Merrell Trail

Postby RickPlite » September 29th, 2013, 9:46 am

aarontriton wrote:thinking of making the 2 Hour drive to Merrell today. is the trail to wet? thanks for the help

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Should be fine a bit later
Luton Park Trail Coordinator, West Michigan Mountain Biking Alliance
http://www.kisscross.com
http://www.lumberjack100.com
http://www.barry-roubaix.com
RickPlite

Postby rvd » September 29th, 2013, 9:47 am

RickPlite wrote:
rvd wrote:That shortcut past the zig-zag on wilderness is pathetic.

explain where this is better for me

It is about midway through wilderness, either just before or just after the start of the downhill segment (yellow). It is still in the pine forest; the zig zag refers to two large boulders just after a sharp right hander, that in turns follows a mild downslope with some rocks. To the right of the boulders (left on red days) there is a bypass of the rocks through the pine needles; it clearly cuts a couple of seconds off the lap or segment time and seems to be a mod by speed junkies.

EDIT: probably the same place you mentioned before:

RickPlite wrote:the shortcut riders are now hitting Merrell Trail. Feel free to block off any shortcuts or trail straightening. The most obvious is the zig zag boulders in the pines... :evil:
rvd

Postby cramer » September 29th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Prolly the same guy that jacked your chainsaw is making those short cuts.
cramer

Postby reidabel » September 29th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Hopefully he won't start making new shortcuts WITH the chainsaw :D

The problem is that blocking them off doesn't seem to help. I did this at my local trail and the logs I put in place to block were gone the next day. I think we have a lot more blockage removers than blockage creators. I'm thinking of digging a four-foot deep trench on the shortcut and filling it with manure ...
reidabel

Postby c0nsumer » September 29th, 2013, 8:56 pm

reidabel wrote:Hopefully he won't start making new shortcuts WITH the chainsaw :D

The problem is that blocking them off doesn't seem to help. I did this at my local trail and the logs I put in place to block were gone the next day. I think we have a lot more blockage removers than blockage creators. I'm thinking of digging a four-foot deep trench on the shortcut and filling it with manure ...

I find that trails need to be blocked off with enough crap to make it a serious time sink to remove. Single large logs don't do it, but big piles of lots of little and big sticks (so it can't just be kicked aside) with some reeaaaaaaaly long pieces (that intertwine the neighboring trees) do it.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Board Member
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby aarontriton » September 30th, 2013, 12:28 pm

Trail is in great condition, my wife and 9 yr old son drove 2 hours yesterday to get to Merrell , all i can say is it was well worth it. My son did fall off a bridge on sawtooth but that didn't slow him down. There were a couple a morons on bmx bikes with no helmets i heard one of them crash hard on siren, overall this is a great trail had a blast.
14 Devinci Troy
aarontriton

Postby dmpeterson » October 7th, 2013, 3:52 pm

I Probably Know The Answer, But How Is Merrell Today?
"Not all who wander are lost."
dmpeterson

Postby RickPlite » October 7th, 2013, 3:58 pm

dmpeterson wrote:I Probably Know The Answer, But How Is Merrell Today?

It would be best to avoid until tomorrow
RickPlite

Postby bh357 » October 9th, 2013, 1:27 pm

It looks like I have to head to the area for business tomorrow, and Merrell is right along the way. Can anyone update on the current conditions? Also, does anyone have a recommended way to connect all the segments (I noticed Thursdays are "Yellow" days), so I can hit everything? It looks like a minimum of 3 laps are needed to ride all of "Phaser", "Siren", "Wilderness", and "Sawtooth".
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

"He didn't have to be drunk to be an a$$hole!" - Geff
bh357

Postby RickPlite » October 9th, 2013, 3:51 pm

bh357 wrote:It looks like I have to head to the area for business tomorrow, and Merrell is right along the way. Can anyone update on the current conditions? Also, does anyone have a recommended way to connect all the segments (I noticed Thursdays are "Yellow" days), so I can hit everything? It looks like a minimum of 3 laps are needed to ride all of "Phaser", "Siren", "Wilderness", and "Sawtooth".

the trail conditions are perfect right now. On yellow day you will go down Wilderness and up either Sawtooth, Phaser or Siren. When you get to the top of any of those climbs you will have the option to go back down Wilderness and skip Mix Master until you have climbed all three uphill options. You can also skip Wynalda at anytime during your laps. Hope that makes sense.
RickPlite

Postby Slimm » October 9th, 2013, 3:58 pm

take a look at the map when you get there. the trail is signed really well and very easy to follow.

its all good, you wont be disappointed

-s
why did they say I needed this degree?

../|. ,[______],
|---L =O|||||||O
()_) .()_)--~---)_)
Slimm

Postby bh357 » October 11th, 2013, 7:38 am

Well, I got out there yesterday just after 4pm for a couple laps. I would've liked to get a 3rd lap in, but I had to drive back to the east side.
What a blast of a trail :D . I loved all the bermed corners. However it made me very aware of how little practice I've had on bermed turns (to build confidence to just "let it fly").
I especially liked the downhill flowy stuff on "Wilderness", the long rocky stretch in "Mix Master", and the entire "Wynalda" loop.

Riding Siren and Phaser had me wishing I could return the next day :wink:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

bh357

Postby cramer » October 11th, 2013, 8:57 am

bh357 wrote:Riding Siren and Phaser had me wishing I could return the next day :wink:

Rode it yesterday too and was thinking the same thing. Not complaining, it's cool that it runs both ways because I got to ride a different trail (yellow) that I haven't ridden in a while and I was happy for the variety. I noticed what seemed like a lot of fun jumps on the Wynalda loop going the other direction though so I'm going back today.

Trail is in great shape right now.
cramer

Postby bh357 » October 11th, 2013, 9:17 am

cramer wrote:
bh357 wrote:Riding Siren and Phaser had me wishing I could return the next day :wink:

Rode it yesterday too and was thinking the same thing. Not complaining, it's cool that it runs both ways because I got to ride a different trail (yellow) that I haven't ridden in a while and I was happy for the variety. I noticed what seemed like a lot of fun jumps on the Wynalda loop going the other direction though so I'm going back today.

What time were you out there Cramer? I was in the black Team Sandbag jersey, riding a rigid Quiring singlespeed.
I did notice what looked like fun jumps going the other way also. There were a number of 'em going the yellow direction also. On jumps, I tend not to get too high off the ground :shock:
www.teamsandbag.com
www.mysinglespeed.com

bh357

Postby Mike_D » October 11th, 2013, 9:51 am

bh357 wrote:
cramer wrote:

What time were you out there Cramer? I was in the black Team Sandbag jersey, riding a rigid Quiring singlespeed.
I did notice what looked like fun jumps going the other way also. There were a number of 'em going the yellow direction also. On jumps, I tend not to get too high off the ground :shock:

You should have messaged me Brad! I was out at Luton around 3:30 - 4 and could have met up with you for a ride had I known!

BTW - You missed on out on some great trail conditions on the HCP this fall! Was again another perfect fall to do the 80 miler!!!
Mike_D

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments