NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

Postby vette-ss » March 23rd, 2015, 7:28 am

I was actully going to ask about the same question, only the reverse. My schedule has been crazy lately but I'm free this weekend and was considering a trip north with the fat bike for one last ride in the snow. Is there anything around TC that is still fully snowpacked? VASA trail, singletrack, Glacial?
vette-ss

Postby bikeguy4life » March 23rd, 2015, 9:54 am

I was out at the VASA single track on Saturday afternoon to ride the powerlines on my 29er and here's what I saw: Marked single track had an icy base with 3-5" of packed crust. It was sunny all day and temps were 28-32 degrees and the trail was soft enough that it was unrideable. VASA trail was also about the same but with 6-8" of packed crust in the woods. Once again, it was a bit too soft to ride. My neighbor rode the VASA ski trail Sunday AM on his fat bike, temps were 15-23 degrees with overnight temps in the 10-15 range and he said it was like concrete and super fast. There were spots that are icy/slick. Depending on our week, there's still be snow out there by this weekend, but if you do ride it, morning is your best bet as things soften up by midday/afternoon. Hope that helps!
2013 Niner EMD
2009 Vassago Jabberwocky SS
2013 Giant TCR SL4
bikeguy4life

Postby MegaHurts » April 4th, 2015, 6:23 am

Anyone been out there in the last few days? Gotta be getting close now!
MegaHurts

Postby JohnnyC » April 4th, 2015, 7:40 pm

Id say so as well. I was waiting for somebody else to go look. If I can I'll check it out tomorrow. this Winter fat needs to go.
JohnnyC

Postby Nelg » April 4th, 2015, 7:41 pm

It's 90-95% snow free And not muddy. Go ride!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby JohnnyC » April 6th, 2015, 8:27 am

Nelg wrote:It's 90-95% snow free And not muddy. Go ride!

uh, yeah. Single track as of yesterday is no where near 90-95% clear.

Ridable but sloppy yesterday from high sun melting pockets of snow/ice. Slushy snow with areas of slippery icy crust. I won't garnish a guess at the percentage but this week with all of the rain and above freezing temps it should be clear by weeks end.
JohnnyC

Postby Nelg » April 6th, 2015, 8:54 am

JohnnyC wrote:
Nelg wrote:It's 90-95% snow free And not muddy. Go ride!

uh, yeah. Single track as of yesterday is no where near 90-95% clear.

Ridable but sloppy yesterday from high sun melting pockets of snow/ice. Slushy snow with areas of slippery icy crust. I won't garnish a guess at the percentage but this week with all of the rain and above freezing temps it should be clear by weeks end.

Just reporting back what we have been told by those riding, we'l be out this weekend to assess what needs to be done for the trail day on the 18th and will update then.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby JohnnyC » April 6th, 2015, 9:01 am

I hear you.

It should be clear by the weekend for sure. I imagine even fat bikes having a little trouble with some of the snow. There was not much evidence of many riders unless riders are completely going around the snow and not through it??? Lots of branches down and a couple trees over the trail. I moved what I could move myself. Chainsaw is needed for 1 log or just 2 strong back guys can move it.
JohnnyC

Postby detroitjohnny » April 8th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Rode the whole trail last night. Completely clear.

Go have fun. 8)
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby daurand » April 8th, 2015, 2:35 pm

For those who may be interested - VASA Pathway (not single track) still has packed snow in sheltered places. I was on 5k and 10k trails running [slowly :( ]. There were several bikers on the trail. Looked like bikers were mostly going around the snow. Only a few soft areas. Sand is good this time of year!
I fear Teeter Totters.
daurand

Previous

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments