NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

Postby Mack » December 26th, 2012, 3:39 pm

qt314159 wrote:Can anyone comment on the status of the trail this week? I'm visiting in-laws on the peninsula and hope to get a few laps in if conditions allow.

Bring xc skies or snowshoes. Just came back from the Kalkaska area, 20+ inches of snow on the ground.
Paul McAllister
Clinton River Park Trail Co-Trail Coordintator
Mack

Location: 42° 34' 49" N ~ 83° 1' 49" W Weekends 44° 46' 57" N ~ 85° 1' 14" W

Postby Nelg » December 27th, 2012, 8:29 am

qt314159 wrote:Can anyone comment on the status of the trail this week? I'm visiting in-laws on the peninsula and hope to get a few laps in if conditions allow.

7" to 10" of snow. The snowshoe army is hitting it hard over the next week to tamp it down for fatbikes, but it won't be much fun on a standard MTB.

The TART trail is cleared from Bunker Hill to Carter Road of you feel like getting some miles in.

Enjoy your visit!
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby VasaTrail » April 9th, 2013, 7:10 am

VST Trail Day

The date has been set, the snow may even be melted in time! Come one, come all, come anyone who can help, even for a couple hours. April 20th at 9 am, meet at the Vasa ST trail head. We will be providing FREE LUNCH to all volunteers who stick around!

Feel free to bring loppers, handsaws, shovels, mcleods, etc. Some will likely be available if you have nothing to bring.
VasaTrail

Postby trevrev97 » April 20th, 2013, 6:19 pm

What are the Trail conditions, snow, How did the clean up go ? Thanks
trevrev97

Postby Nelg » April 21st, 2013, 8:13 am

trevrev97 wrote:What are the Trail conditions, snow, How did the clean up go ? Thanks

1 to 8" of snow on the ground still, trail day was called off. :( Warm weather and rain this week should have it melted off soon!
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby detroitjohnny » April 21st, 2013, 8:18 am

I'm headed out there in a couple hours with my pugs to see how it goes. Glen, have you actually been down the trail in the last couple days?
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Nelg » April 21st, 2013, 8:26 am

detroitjohnny wrote:I'm headed out there in a couple hours with my pugs to see how it goes. Glen, have you actually been down the trail in the last couple days?

John Roe took a little hike yesterday and it's mostly snow with some earth showing here and there, pretty much the same as my last check on Thursday.

I might walk a section or two backwards later on today, but everything that isn't directly off the parking lot is going to be hard to get to as the two tracks are a mess at this point. Once we get down to mostly dirt and not mostly snow we'll be able to hit it hard.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby detroitjohnny » April 21st, 2013, 8:32 am

Thanks. I checked out the parkjng lot yesterday as I was driving by and thought it might be clearer than that. Maybe I'll head over to arcadia instead. I was there a couple weeks ago and there was significantly less snow.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Nelg » April 21st, 2013, 8:40 am

detroitjohnny wrote:Thanks. I checked out the parkjng lot yesterday as I was driving by and thought it might be clearer than that. Maybe I'll head over to arcadia instead. I was there a couple weeks ago and there was significantly less snow.

Starting at Baxter Bridge and heading south on the NCT would be a killer ride today as well.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby bgerlach » April 21st, 2013, 10:23 am

Still more than a foot of snow on sections of the AD trail - most of the wooded stretches are still snow covered.

detroitjohnny wrote:Thanks. I checked out the parkjng lot yesterday as I was driving by and thought it might be clearer than that. Maybe I'll head over to arcadia instead. I was there a couple weeks ago and there was significantly less snow.
bgerlach

Postby detroitjohnny » April 21st, 2013, 7:09 pm

Rode the singletrack from the lot until halfway between 7 and 8. After that I rode the ski trail and snowmobile trails back to the parking lot. Fat bikes can ride everything, it would be very hard to ride it on a regular bike right now. I would guess that it will be a lot clearer by next weekend. It's not supposed to that warm this week up here.

I cleared a couple trees with my folding saw, and picked up lots and lots of sticks and branches. Not everything by any means, but anything that needed to be ridden around.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby detroitjohnny » April 22nd, 2013, 9:23 am

I'm either headed back out to the VASA single this afternoon again, or to Hansen hills. Hopefully I'll get a chance to clear more of the trail. Anyone around later today? Supposed to make it to 60 by around 4 or so. :lol:
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Nelg » April 24th, 2013, 9:33 am

VST trail day Wednesday May 1 @ 6:00 PM at the VST parking lot off supply road. Bring loppers, small hand saws, gloves and safety glasses if you have them. If we get a dozen folks in the woods for a couple hours we'll have her in good shape for the spring.

See you there!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby slukomski » May 13th, 2013, 8:57 am

What are the current conditions of the VASA Singletrack? My son has a soccer tournament in TC this weekend (5/18) and we're considering bringing the bikes. Thanks!
2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite
slukomski

Postby Nelg » May 13th, 2013, 9:18 am

slukomski wrote:What are the current conditions of the VASA Singletrack? My son has a soccer tournament in TC this weekend (5/18) and we're considering bringing the bikes. Thanks!

Perfect shape, bring the bike!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments