NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

For posting trail-specific conditions and problems

Re: Northern: VASA Singletrack

Postby c0nsumer » July 27th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Jayers wrote:Hmm, I'll be staying at Timberridge next week. I might pop over to the trail head on Thursday for that ride.

Just ride the VASA Pathway from Timber Ridge to the single track. The two intersect.
Steve Vigneau
Big Ring Coffee MTB Racing
CRAMBA-IMBA Chairperson
River Bends Park Co-Trail Coordinator
MMBA Website / Forum Administrator

Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the official stance of, nor representative of, the MMBA nor CRAMBA-IMBA.
c0nsumer
Administrator

Postby Jayers » July 27th, 2011, 12:45 pm

c0nsumer wrote:
Jayers wrote:Hmm, I'll be staying at Timberridge next week. I might pop over to the trail head on Thursday for that ride.

Just ride the VASA Pathway from Timber Ridge to the single track. The two intersect.

Oh, yeah. We try to get a spot in the back of the campground so I just ride right out the back of the site onto their internal trails, over to the VASA, then hit the singletrack. All before breakfast. Spent a week doing it last year, and looking forward to doing it again this year.
Jayers

Postby Nelg » July 27th, 2011, 12:49 pm

c0nsumer wrote:

If you do this, keep in mind that marker 15 is the end and parking lot of the single track. You'll hit marker 13 on the 25k ski loop by Jackpine Valley and can ride that to the lot.

Quite honestly, you are better off driving since it usually goes pretty late and there is typically snacks and beverages afterwards. You may need a headlamp to get back on the 25k if you want to take part in any post ride socializing.

My only suggestions beyond that will be to bring a sense of adventure and wear clear or amber lens glasses.
NMMBA Past President
http://facebook.com/nmmba
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby detroitjohnny » July 27th, 2011, 1:06 pm

Nelg wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

If you do this, keep in mind that marker 15 is the end and parking lot of the single track. You'll hit marker 13 on the 25k ski loop by Jackpine Valley and can ride that to the lot.

Quite honestly, you are better off driving since it usually goes pretty late and there is typically snacks and beverages afterwards. You may need a headlamp to get back on the 25k if you want to take part in any post ride socializing.

My only suggestions beyond that will be to bring a sense of adventure and wear clear or amber lens glasses.

Clear or amber glasses are a must. There are plenty of sections that even in the middle of the day are too dark for traditional sunglasses.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Nelg » July 27th, 2011, 1:56 pm

detroitjohnny wrote:
Nelg wrote:
c0nsumer wrote:

Clear or amber glasses are a must. There are plenty of sections that even in the middle of the day are too dark for traditional sunglasses.

The alternate unmapped routes are also quite overgrown, glasses are as big of a safety concern as a good old helmet. Gotta love some good old fashioned northern MI bushwhacking. ;)

And to get this back on topic. The trail is rolling decent and it's about to get better as we are currently implementing a adopt a trail program at the VASA Single Track. Expect to see the face slappers and trail corridor open up little by little over the next couple weeks and some of the deeper sand issues will also be dealt with as well.

If you want to pitch in, PM me and I'll hook you up with people to share sections with.
NMMBA Past President
Unless otherwise stated the content of my posts are my opinion and should not be taken as the stance nor representative of the MMBA or NMMBA.
Nelg

Postby qt314159 » December 20th, 2011, 3:43 pm

How are the trail conditions at VASA for the winter? Is it open to bikers year round?

I'll be up in the Traverse City area to visit the inlaws over the holiday and hope to bring the bike!
qt314159

Postby detroitjohnny » December 20th, 2011, 3:50 pm

Bring your bike, there's no snow on the vasa right now and none forecasted until next week.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby detroitjohnny » December 23rd, 2011, 6:29 am

We did get some snow in the last couple of days. Not even an inch and everything is very rideable.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Nelg » December 23rd, 2011, 8:01 am

We got a bit more last night, it should still be good at this point. If it's too sketchy, the 25k will roll just fine.
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby detroitjohnny » December 23rd, 2011, 8:07 am

Yep, if you are comfortable riding in any kind of snow its still VERY rideable. I'll be out there this weekend for sure.
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Re: NMMBA: VASA Singletrack

Postby detroitjohnny » March 19th, 2012, 8:58 pm

Rode the Vasa singletrack today and it is rideable. No snow to speak of and dry. There are quite a few trees down from the snow storm a couple of weeks ago, but a lot of them have already been cleared. I will be out there again wednesday clearing more downed trees.

get out and ride it! 8)
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Nelg » March 19th, 2012, 9:53 pm

detroitjohnny wrote:Rode the Vasa singletrack today and it is rideable. No snow to speak of and dry. There are quite a few trees down from the snow storm a couple of weeks ago, but a lot of them have already been cleared. I will be out there again wednesday clearing more downed trees.

get out and ride it! 8)

Thanks for the clearing help! A group of us got out tonight and finished the job, it's 100% rideable with no ride-arounds or hike a bike sections. We'll be back out on April 14th @ 9:00 at the trail head parking lot to cut back face slappers and to address the small stuff.

Thanks again for moving so many trees, it was a mess out there!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby detroitjohnny » March 21st, 2012, 11:43 am

Now the thanks go to you Glen, and whoever helped you clear the rest of it.

I rode out there this morning and it is dandy. :D Now I need to go see what's happened to the unmarked stuff. :shock:
go ride.
detroitjohnny

Postby Nelg » May 2nd, 2012, 3:17 pm

VASA is in the best shape I've seen in the past two years. Get out and ride!
NMMBA Past President
Nelg

Postby oogs » May 14th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Any suggestions for riding this? I'll be up there in July, and am accustomed to 10-15 mile rides around Ann Arbor (not poto yet... working on that one).
oogs

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Conditions & Comments